Off Topic. Looking for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Hey everybody. I'd like to get a few opinions from this wise bunch, here. I have a situation where I have been offered another job and am not sure which way to go.
Job one. I posted about this one a few weeks ago. Running a Pavilion at an outdoor adventure resort for a 5 month contract. Thursday to Monday. Work every weekend. 7 to 3 every day. 10 minute drive from home. Working right beside the river supervising a staff of students and seasonal kitchen workers. I will be closer to my daugthers house and will get to see her earlier in the day( I am separated and have to drive there to hang out or take her to my place). This job may be available next season depending on a few things. If I like it, or if they like me.

Job two. Had this one before. Old friend, great guy to work with. More money. Outside work. Carpentry, sunrooms, decks, etc. Seasonal, probably until December. 45 minute drive to work. 8 to 4:30. Monday to Friday. Weekends off. Will see my daughter a little less. But, I know I like this job, and am not sure about the other one yet. I would have no problem getting time off, or things like that. Sometimes workdays can be rained out so, no pay. Job available next season for sure.

I will be getting a contract next week about the Chef job. I will have to come up with a decision by then. I would like to be closer, but I make more money and will have the job longer. I am also not sure about the closer job because I have never worked for this company and I heard that the owner can be difficult. But, that's just rumors.
I also am busy with the band in the summer so I get to sleep in if I take job two.
What to do. What to do....

Last edited:
Seems to me it comes down to what you know and what you don't as well as money vs time.

I can't speak to your preferences, but I think I'd take the one I'm sure about.

What are you leaning towards?

It sounds like you are leaning more towards job 2. More money, weekends off to play with the band, and time with your daughter when you need it, though not as much as you'd like. Devil you know more than the devil you don't?

What a dilemma!

Last edited:
Tough choice! Maybe a difficult boss vs someone you know you like working for. That to me would be the deciding point.

Which job would you be happier gettin up and going to in the morning?

As a single mother, I had a family to raise and support. I had jobs that made it possible for me to be their sole support. The pay would be really good. But the job was under miserable conditions and I would be sick to my stomach in the morning knowing I had to go. After 1.5 years, I quit. It just wasn't worth it. Unemployment was much better.

In this state if you quit your job because of health reasons, then you can collect. The company has to prove that working conditions are conducive to good health. They had to admit that I often got sick in the office.

Funny you should ask this at thes time. Right now I am watching a movie with Sidney Portier about a 100 year old man that is still workinig as a carpenter. He loves what he is doing. He has never been sick. My son is a carpenter. He is admired by every person that knows him. If they had to call just one person to do work for them, they would call him. He doesn't work as hard as he used to. After all he has had eight heart attacks. But he loves what he does. Put a hammer in his hand and he could build a two story home all by himself.

Do what you love most. You will never regret it. Some how you will find a way to have time with your daughter. And you know what? Kids love their parents no matter what. They always forgive them no matter what they do or don't do. I don't know how old she is, but if she is small, in the time you can't spend with her, you could possibly make her a toy with your own hands. I guarantee she will treasure that for the rest of her life. :)

From the way I read it, you are pretty well leaning to the job you know. I remember back when you were cooking before (I think you got laid off) and you said you weren't totally sure if you wanted another cooking job (I may be wrong....it has been known to happen). You have to go with your gut and your heart. Maybe wait to see what the contract says and in the meantime see what you can find out about this new company - google, asking around, etc.

I actually had some friends go eat in a place I was applying for. They reported back some things that had been bothering me and I turned down the job...next day I got the one I wanted!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the repies. I am giving it a lot of thought and am leaning towards the carpentry job. I was hoping that if I put my concerns in writing, went back and read it, I would look at it a bit more subjectively. And, I have. I feel bad calling back and refusing this job which I verbally accepteda few weeks ago. It may leave them in a bit of a lurch. But, I guess people quit jobs every day, so it's not really my problem. I hate burning bridges, though.

You have been a great help.

Thanks for the repies. I am giving it a lot of thought and am leaning towards the carpentry job. I was hoping that if I put my concerns in writing, went back and read it, I would look at it a bit more subjectively. And, I have. I feel bad calling back and refusing this job which I verbally accepteda few weeks ago. It may leave them in a bit of a lurch. But, I guess people quit jobs every day, so it's not really my problem. I hate burning bridges, though.

You have been a great help.

It sounded that way to us too. You just needed some confirmation of what you really wanted to do in the first place. Good luck. :)

Good luck Rock! I know you'll be happier at this! You'll still get your foodie on hanging out here.

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am saying something that has already been said.

My question to you is the job with your friend you say will be available next year as well. Is that true if you do not take his job this year or is that only true if you work for him this year? If you still can get that job regardless then if it were me I would seriously consider job number one. I am separated from my wife so I know what you are going through with seeing your daughter. For me, how often I see my kids would be one of the top considerations. Although it sounds like with either job you should do OK on that front. I would lean towards job 1 because if job 2 is for your friend then unless he desperately needs you, you could take 1 and use 2 as a backup without hurtung either you or your friend.

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am saying something that has already been said.

My question to you is the job with your friend you say will be available next year as well. Is that true if you do not take his job this year or is that only true if you work for him this year? If you still can get that job regardless then if it were me I would seriously consider job number one. I am separated from my wife so I know what you are going through with seeing your daughter. For me, how often I see my kids would be one of the top considerations. Although it sounds like with either job you should do OK on that front. I would lean towards job 1 because if job 2 is for your friend then unless he desperately needs you, you could take 1 and use 2 as a backup without hurtung either you or your friend.
First of all, thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it.
If I pass on my friends offer, he will have to fill my boots. He needs an assistant to complete the work he has taken on for the season. So, my job will be gone there. He has no choice in the matter. I respect, and understand that.
Right now, I do see my daughter almost every day, for a couple of hours I come to the house regularly to clean snow, walk the dog, cut the grass, or just hang out, etc. It is a big place and I am happy to do it and have continued to do it since the separation. So, sometimes it seems like I still live there. She also comes and goes with me at her leisure.
Job 2 on the other hand, I will have complete weekends to plan some extended outings and visits.
For this reason I am probably going to take the carpentry job. I was settled on the first job and was psyced about it, but now with the second offer, I have to really gather my thoughts and think how it will affect me and others who depend on me. Not to mention, down the road when winter comes and I may be off for another season.

Now that you all know my personal buisness, thanks for chiming in.:)

It is a tough decision, but it sounds like you have two very decent options, which is rare these days. Good luck with whichever you pick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom