Off we go...into the wild blue yonder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
The other day, when it was 3 days to go, my mother called me. As you know , she's been calling every day with the coutdown like the town crier. The difference with this call was she didn't actually speak...she just giggled and laughed and I swear, I could hear her jumping up and down:LOL:. I asked her if she was having trouble sleeping and she giggled some more and started talking about new toothbrushes and baskets of toiletries. Apparently, she doesn't want me to encounter trouble with 'airport security':bash:. Now I'll be obligated to use the products she took the time and effort and with the love of her heart :cry: to purchase for Lou and I. I can live with frizz for a couple of days, can I not?

My dad is being curiously quiet through all this. I suspect he's trying to divert attention away from him and the giggling I imagine he's doing in private. The same man who slapped me so hard for coming home drunk when I was 16 has been busy building me a birdhouse for the yard. He has called several times to discuss the colours of the house and shutters and I can hear bearly restrained hysteria. I can only guess just how bored the two are. He also mentioned that he placed third in a bocce ball tournament. Not bad, considering it was his first time 'competing'. His share of the winnings amounted to $12.50 which I'm sure went to more paint for the birdhouse.:wacko:

Finally, one major change of plans. My sister suggested that we really don't want to spend any time cooking for this party. She suggested we'd be better served sitting at the beach with cocktails. Not being one to cause distress amongst the family , naturally, I agreed. The problem with this, however, is the apparent fact that there is no place to buy good food in Jacksonville, Florida, or anywhere within 50 miles. She's lived there for 18 months now and still has yet to discover a bakery that is up to her (our) standards. She had to scour the development she lives in to see if anyone has ever used certain caterers before. It seems most people in Florida buy specialty cakes in Wal-Mart:ohmy:. She's still working on procuring a small wedding styled cake. I think the rest of the food is handled. Think about it from our point of view....spend one day out of two cooking, or spend two days out of two drinking and socializing. No brainer, yes?

I have some laundry to attend to, errands to run, (I'm entrusted to bring my sister olives, hard salami, provolone and a loaf of bread--my clothes are going to smell like an italian hero...she wanted ravioli from Vitamia, but I refused), and pack. My (ex)husband is driving Lou and I to Laguardia tomorrow afternoon. My mother should be positively bouncing off the walls by then:w00t2:. We'll be back Sunday afternoon.

Finally, I really do love them, it's just that there is a fountain of experiences and behaviours that simply beg sarcastic penning. If I held this in, I'd pop a vessel:angel::devilish:.

Last edited:
LOL Vera!!!! You have certainly made the scene play out like a movie for me! I can see it all clearly! No cooking will give you time to socialize - don't even think about the food. You never know, you may find a place that she doesn't know about and it may be wonderful!!!! Have a good trip.

Oh my gosh, I so envy you! My mom died when I was 4 & my dad was never a very demonstrative person. I can only imagine how loved you must feel by their evident excitement! That's gotta feel good! :) Thanks for sharing! Your post really made me smile & say "awwwww"!

You've all said some really nice things, and I do thank you, indeed. I'd like to blame it on the inbreeding, and I really wouldn't be lying, either...but the story of my grandparents being first cousins and having their marriage arranged for them is truly for another time.

My mother called again a short time ago. She wanted to know if I needed any socks!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

corazon90 said:
Have a great trip Vera! I love how discript you are. All I can say is...photos.

I'll bring the photos back..as long as you all promise that no blackmail will be involved. :glare:

Have fun!!!! Your family sounds like they know how to have a great time!

:LOL: Always say yes to socks! That is just too funny:-p Sounds like my mom, always asking if I needed this or that, it's a caring thing, so just say yes :)

As for the food, geez I was thinking it's a 50th anniversary party, and you guys should be cooking, but then again, if your all better off socializing and hanging together, that sounds good to me. Enjoy!!! We want pictures :)

Have a great time Vera and Lou:w00t2:

You have yourself a wonderful time VB.:) Its always an interesting time catching up with family, especially after a long hiatus such as you have had with some of yours! So eat, drink and be merry!! Tomorrow comes around soon enough and thats when we are all grateful for a memory.:(

Play safe!:angel:

You're going to Florida and she wondered if you needed socks? Have a lovely time Vera, make sure you keep a journal so you don't forget any of the good stories.

LOL on the socks and YOU BET on the blackmail!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

and oh, those arranged marriages!!!!! And that didn't happen that long ago! WOW.

I hope for your sake those socks are not white knee highs - lol - have a great time and fill us in on the details

Don't cook in Jacksonville. Your folks are going to want to spend every minute with you and Lou. The excitement is about ready to explode! Dad may be quiet but he's in the same boat as mom.

Be prepared for some serious smothering. Your being there for this special occasion is the gift that truly matters.

Alix said:
You're going to Florida and she wondered if you needed socks? Have a lovely time Vera, make sure you keep a journal so you don't forget any of the good stories.

Oh wow, I was thinking her mom meant her cold feet when she gets back to NJ...my perspective I guess being from the North :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom