Oh no! Daylight Saving Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you like DST? In your post please explain why.

• Strongly like it!!!

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Hate it!!!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
And today is the day! (Posted 7 minutes before midnight ET, 3:07 before midnight PT.)

I hate this!

I don't like the gummint messing with the clocks. I'd rather let the day-night sunlight cycle regulate our lives.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it should be done away with, it serves no purpose anymore. Back in Hawaii, it wasn't observed, in Arizona, I believe it isn't observed, and there are even a few select towns/cities, with in the CONUS that don't go by it.

Just do away with it.

can't vote, because there isn't a "just get rid of it" option.

I'd like for DST to be year round. I had a job that started at 7 a.m. and ended at 5 p.m. Never saw daylight the whole winter. :(

I like it now but, I remember as a little kid I was less than thrilled to be going to bed with the sun streaming in the window.

Now, I wish we had War Time!

i just spent the last 5 hours setting clocks on computer systems all over my building. tv has to be exactly on time, so everything runs on some kind of referenced clock system.

so i don't like or dislike dst any more than est. i just wish we could stick with one time so i didn't have to do this twice a year.

the only good part is that in the spring, i get paid for 8 hours but only work 7.

I'd like for DST to be year round.

Well I wouldn't mind that either. I just don't like them changing the time and making us change our clocks and adjust our schedules.

Just leave time one way or the other, daylight or standard. I'd go with either one.

It's been a way of life and not that hard for me to adjust.

I like the daylight in the evening rather than in the morning. I also wouldn't mind if it was all year DST. However that makes for issues in the winter.

It took me less than 10 minutes to change all the clocks last night. No problem. It takes longer in the fall, only because I have a clock that has to be advanced through the 23 hours to change the time or it's chimes get messed up. The important ones, cable box and computers, are changed automatically.

I like it now but, I remember as a little kid I was less than thrilled to be going to bed with the sun streaming in the window.

Now, I wish we had War Time!

did you ever read the poem by Robert Louis Stevenson? It is called "Bed In Summer"

In winter I get up by night, and have to dress by candlelight,
In Summer, quite the other way, I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see the birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet, Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you, When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play, To have to go to bed by day?

Robert Louis Stevenson.

I love his children's poems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Addie...that is a lovely poem! Thanks for the reminder.

You are welcome. My other favorite one is about your shadow.

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me.
And what can be the use of him, is more than I can see.

There is more. I use to paste a new poem above my sink every month. I think I need to go to the library and get his book of Children's Poems. I think it is called, "The Children's Hour." :)

I don't change my clocks. I figure right now it is 1:55 somewhere. And it drives Son #1 crazy. Then after a few days, he changes them. The one on the stove? Who cares. An hour of baking is an hour of baking. :rolleyes:

You are welcome. My other favorite one is about your shadow.

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me.
And what can be the use of him, is more than I can see.

There is more. I use to paste a new poem above my sink every month. I think I need to go to the library and get his book of Children's Poems. I think it is called, "The Children's Hour." :)

A Child’s Garden of Verses by Stevenson

The Children's Hour is a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have these on the shelves over there>>>>>:LOL:

A Child’s Garden of Verses by Stevenson

The Children's Hour is a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have these on the shelves over there>>>>>:LOL:

My bad. I will have to ask at the library. I knew RLS has a book of poems for childen. They are written right form the mind of a child. I have a special spot in my heart for anything that makes a child laugh or smile. My heart breaks when I hear or see a child cry.

When Son #3 was growing up, if he wanted something really bad, I would tell him, I will try to get it for him. If I said, "I promise," he knew that I would never break a promise to him and that I would get it for him. He would never metioned it again because he knew. You don't break a promise to a child. :)

I'm in the "just leave the clocks alone" camp. The animals are wanting to be fed at 5am now instead of 6am. I don't care when it's daylight. I wish someone would give me a plausible reason for the changing besides the "it saves energy" one. Does it really? How much? Enough for a big difference? Seems like with most people working inside in artificial light and heat (and AC) and all the computers and other business machines that it seems to be a wash to me. Maybe not but I hate the change both in the spring and in the fall.

DST came about during WWI. It was so that the farmers would have more time to bring in their crops. :)

I posted neutral... I didn't know it was this weekend. I think I have been living underneath a rock. The only thing I had to change was the microwave time. The time change doesn't matter to me, because we go through it every year.

Back
Top Bottom