OK, confess:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always been a collector and am a confessed "dishaholic." We have at least 4 sets of dishes, 3 of which are complete services for 20. That's because, in our will, those 3 are divided equally among 5 offspring, as is the silver flatware.

One set is a beautiful compilation of American, Dutch and English Blue Willow and, with it, there are full sets of Depression cobalt glassware. There are also many other pieces of cobalt glass, such as bowls, dessert plates, sherbet dishes, etc.

Another set is Homer Laughlin's Virginia Rose, which is a lovely romantic pattern with a scalloped edge rimmed in silver. I accompany that with pale green Depression glassware.

A third set is four of the five colors of Taylor, Smith & Taylor's Lu-Ray Pastels. I didn't collect any of the Chatham Gray because I thought it a bit drab/depressing and, also, it's extremely difficult to find as not many pieces were made and, as a result, it's quite expensive. I pair the Lu-Ray with clear pieces of Depression glass.

Our everyday dishware is a Corelle pattern called Summer Blush.

Each set of our china has full compliments of serving pieces. The Lu-Ray even has several floral vases and a huge epergne, which I love.

As for silver, we have a service for 20, again to be given to the children, in Rogers Bros. pattern called Arbutus. It's a very old pattern and discontinued but it looks so lovely with all the china, especially the Virginia Rose.

Many, many years ago my late husband's mother gave me all her silver serving pieces and tea and coffee service. They are exquisite and we use them often. In addition to those pieces we have cabinets full of trays, bowl, pitches, baskets, julep cups, pedestals, etc., many of which I have found at yard sales and thrift stores for pennies. I just bought a beautiful Towle bud vase at a thrift store the other day for 50 cents.

One of the silver pieces I treasure is a lovely Victorian castor, which contains silver-capped cruets for vinegar and oil, salt and pepper, and mustard. The large handle is a beautiful swan's head. I bought it at a yard sale years ago for practically nothing. It was so black with tarnish that I don't imagine the seller knew what it was. It took me a long time to clean it up, but it's a showpiece now.

There's bunches of crystal glassware and stemware, as well as many sizes and shapes of plates and bowls in plain, unpatterned glass.

Also, when my late husband's mother gave up her house, she gave me all her Wedgewood china. Beautiful pattern but it'd gotten beaten up a bit and there aren't many pieces in serviceable shape. It, too, is discontinued but way TOO costly for me to consider adding to or replacing damaged pieces. For now, I'll save it as a keepsake and hope that one of Buck's sons will want it as a remembrance of their grandmother.

Except for our everyday dishware, most of what we have and use is easily 100-years-old. When the table is set with any of the sets, I am taken back to a gentler time and I try to imagine what was served and what was talked about around the table.

Yep, I said I was a dishaholic and I meant it, but all these beauties are old friends and, in many cases, aren't being produced any more. Kinda like me. There's only one of me and that's it and I'm still a bit serviceable.:LOL::LOL:

When we furnished our dining room just over 20 years ago upon buying our house we 'decorated' our new china cabinet with a set of Noritake's and fine silver in the dining table drawers. Of course, we've never, ever used them. Oh yeah, we've sat at the dining table for nice holiday dinners on a few occasions over the years.

Last edited:
When I divorced, I did not get custody of the china or silver we got for wedding gifts and that was OK.

When my uncle died I took his china "just in case I ever needed it" SO and I use Corelle. She doesn't like the china so, guess what. And that's OK by me.

Very nice! I bought a set of plain white dishes to augment the Radko. I used to buy the Radko at Target but I don't think they carry it any more.

I have several settings of Radko christmas tree and orament patterns for xmas. Plus several patters and serving bowls. I LOVE it. I need to fill in pieces.

img_1003240_0_144aa9723bcc4cc3e3ba1c210d69b1aa.jpg

img_1003240_1_8c7af294e099abade8fc144cbc0d653e.jpg

I don't think it's pretentious to like pretty things.

:LOL:

I like setting a pretty table on occasion. It's nice to have matching stuff for everyone.

I never said that liking pretty things is pretentious. It was clear that what I ment was owning EXPENSIVE dishes and utensils is pretentious.

IMHO I set a pretty table every day and I have matching stuff for everyone. I have 10 complete place settings of Fiesta ware in different colors, most of witch are either retired or discontinued. :chef:

Even though I posted quite an extensive list, many of what we have were given to us and the remainder were purchased at yard sales, thrift stores, estate sales and auctions.

As Glenn says, "I'm cheep, cheep." He kids me, but I think I'm allergic to spending money. Having said that, I've been very fortunate with my "quests" and have been able to ferret out awesome pieces, including furniture, for a mere fraction of what they are worth.

It's fun and, I suppose, a bit of a game to me, but when I happen upon a "find" at a bargain price, I'm energized. Told ya I was a dishaholic. It's my high.

The better high, though, is having the pleasure of setting a lovely table and sharing a meal, whether it's hot dogs or beef wellington, with my family and friends.

Buck and I always wanted to take a basket of good china, glassware and silverware to McDonald's and "set" our table there for our Big Macks. We never got around to it but, as Judy Tenuta would say, "It could happen!":LOL:

Very nice! I bought a set of plain white dishes to augment the Radko. I used to buy the Radko at Target but I don't think they carry it any more.
Thank you. I also got these at Target about 4 years ago.

I also do not want to give the idea that I have invested alot of money in my things.

I am constantly searching the flea markets and thrift shops in my area. Many of the things in my home came from various relatives, dead and alive. It is kind of a joke in my family when someone has an item to get rid of they all say in unison, maybe Bea would like it, and I do.

I am thankful that so far it is just stuff and not baskets of kittens:LOL:

I also do not want to give the idea that I have invested alot of money in my things.

I am constantly searching the flea markets and thrift shops in my area. Many of the things in my home came from various relatives, dead and alive. It is kind of a joke in my family when someone has an item to get rid of they all say in unison, maybe Bea would like it, and I do.

I am thankful that so far it is just stuff and not baskets of kittens:LOL:

Me, too, exactly.

And..."amen" to the baskets of kittens.:ROFLMAO:

I have a set of china and sterling that I never purchased! My husband bought it for himself. At the time, a set of crystal as well (I'm a klutz, believe me the latter is long gone). When we first married (1983), we used it every day, just tossing it in the dishwasher. We bought everyday stuff when I realized that forks and spoons were disappearing and cost $40 or so to replace. No, no one was stealing them, I think it was the clean up crew (usually us) were scraping plates and dropping them (yes, copious amounts of wine were involved). We took to counting the silver the morning after, and if a piece was missing, we went through the garbage. Thank heaven for Replacements.com. But it did inspire us to buy some less expensive flatware and plates!

As for crystal, on some day in the future, I will never drink from anything else. It just feels different. I pretty much destroyed my husband's original crystal set, and we bought new when we moved here (10 years ago), but rarely use it. I just love that sharp edge on the glasses. I know he wouldn't care if I decided to use a good wine glass every day, but I'm so clumsy. He wouldn't care if I broke them all. It's not like they're bacarrat or something.

Oh, BTW, expensive isn't the issue. The issue is precious. My husband having this stuff when we were dating told me that he valued the dining experience. They weren't something to brag about; I'm not talking stuff to look at, and I'm not kidding when I said we used it all everyday and only bought less expensive stuff when we realized the value of some of it. It wasn't family heirlooms or anything.

[/COLOR] I have 10 complete place settings of Fiesta ware in different colors, most of witch are either retired or discontinued. :chef:

Just FYI, you do know that if you have original Fiestaware, depending on the color, you could be sitting on a goldmine. The original pieces, from say 1935-1960 in mint condition are worth a lot of money.

I was pricing cobalt blue a few years ago and was amazed at the some pieces were going for.

Last edited:
i have new set of everyday dishes. they are a walmart knock off of the expensive italian style stuff that is popular today. i love it and use everyday , dishwasher, micro and fridge. also have service for twelve pretty china, haven't used in about three years. since i stopped having thanksgiving at my house. i have service for twelve christmas dishes, knock off of spode christmas tree. when i managed a hallmark store we put them on sale and with my employee discount got for practically nothing. used for christmas dinner up til about five years ago. will give to one of my granddaughters when i die.

i have many beautiful odds and ends from long gone family. use sometimes for serving or just decorations. no fancy silver. few crystal sets, wine glasses. i love to set the table for company, usually use the new ones. i have bought some serving dishes in other italian patterns. that go with it. makes me feel i have treated my guests to something special

i make special food for them, why not set a pretty special table.

I don't feel anyone here is pretentious or has nose in the air. I find nothing wrong in what we choose to eat off of, the most importanat thing is enjoying a meal with dear ones and dear friends.Having something we each feel is beautiful and that we love is wonderful. I've been very lucky I have china, silver and crystal plus my grandmothers china which to me is something I love and makes me feel as if she is still with me. I enjoy using my special things although it took me years to allow anyone to help me with taking care of them. I had my m-i-l break severl of my glasses and not check my garbage disposal so anytime she came To dinner I became a nervous wreck:LOL: My dad bought me silver salt and pepper shakers and a beautiful silver butter keeper, a sugar and creamer as well,all because he enjoyed giving and pleasing me. All these things are ME!!! If I thought someone thought I was upitty or acting as If I was better than they were I would be hurt and upset. I feel all of you have the right to love what you've been given or earned it lets us know about you and become part of you. Be proud of what you have and share it happily with us. I'll gladly share mine with anyone who is interested. Life has many ugly things about it, so hold close your treasures and enjoy them.
kadesma

Just FYI, you do know that if you have original Fiestaware, depending on the color, you could be sitting on a goldmine. The original pieces, from say 1935-1960 in mint condition are worth a lot of money.

I was pricing cobalt blue a few years ago and was amazed at the some pieces were going for.

My older pieces that are retired I bought on ebay. I didn't pay all that much and I am not sure how much they are really worth. But I use them every day. Sure they cost more then department store dishes, but they are not fine china that most people only use on special occasions. Yeah china is pretty, but only when it is empty. Once you put food on them it becomes a visual nightmare. I prefer solid color dishes that complement the visual of the food, not turn it into abstract art.:chef:

My older pieces that are retired I bought on ebay. I didn't pay all that much and I am not sure how much they are really worth. But I use them every day. Sure they cost more then department store dishes, but they are not fine china that most people only use on special occasions. Yeah china is pretty, but only when it is empty. Once you put food on them it becomes a visual nightmare. I prefer solid color dishes that complement the visual of the food, not turn it into abstract art.:chef:
Patty I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look. I have to admit I love the look.Paying a lot for anything is fine I suppose but not all of us can afford it.But taste is not all in our mouths it is what we are and it makes us special. Be you Patty that is what makes you YOU>!!!!
kades

...I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look...

I agree. That's one of the reasons I went on ebay and won these classic 1960s United Air Lines dinner plates. They are old, but look contemporary and will set off any food.

29235-albums329-picture2716.jpg

Patty I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look. I have to admit I love the look.Paying a lot for anything is fine I suppose but not all of us can afford it.But taste is not all in our mouths it is what we are and it makes us special. Be you Patty that is what makes you YOU>!!!!
kades
I too picked white china because I like to start with an empty palette. Mine is Royal Doulton Fusion Gold. White with a gold rim. Over the years I have added most available serving pieces. I use Riedel Crystal as it adds greatly to the flavor of a given wine. I have not yet gotten into silver, but do have a "dress" set of Stainless.

The Riedel gets used daily. Mine is medium priced as Riedel goes. I would not own china or glassware that I would be afraid of using. The china gets used around once or twice a month, anytime I have guests.

Well, even though my mother has 7 complete sets of china (12 place settings)/earthenware/pottery (I guess Quimperware is pottery) and 3 sets of silver, when my grandmother died, I received her silver (which always had to be counted before it could be back every Christmas and Thanksgiving). The irony was that the pattern was the same pattern as my maternal great-grandmother. My great-aunt divided the set between the two great-nieces in the family. When my cousin was killed in a car accident in Peru, my uncle gave me her half of the set, which is how I ended up with 1/2 a set that is monogramed, and 1/2 that is not. The Limoges china is another story--my parents and I were at an auction. There was a 12-place setting of Limoges that was up. It was a horrible day for an auction--cold, rainy...you get the picture. My father was on one side of the wagon, I was on the other. It wasn't until we got to $50 that we realized we were bidding against each other. I backed off and my dad got the set for me for $50. I have since picked up some other pieces that match at yard sales and a china replacement place. The Spode was my gift to me when I came back from being an exchange student in Germany. Since then, my family has bought me another 4 place settings, all kinds of serving pieces, the salt and pepper shakers, etc. I love it that these things have not only a history (well, the silver does), but also a family story. My brother and I don't know what we are going to do with the 7 sets of dishes and the 3 sets of silver...we both have enough of each (my brother has my great-aunt's sterling and dishes). I also have my great-grandmother's and great-aunt's Waterford. Which I dare not use <g>. And some lovely "punsch" cups from Norway.

I make it a rule--if you want to help with dishes and you break one of these plates/glasses, you owe me two. That way, I always am the only one washing them <g>.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom