"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #4481
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,413
I'm the opposite. I can't stand high humidity in the air. My body stops functioning under high humidity. I would gladly take 100 degrees/10% humidity over 80 degrees/80% humidity. I will always live in dry climate regions.
roadfix is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #4482
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'm the opposite. I can't stand high humidity in the air. My body stops functioning under high humidity. I would gladly take 100 degrees/10% humidity over 80 degrees/80% humidity. I will always live in dry climate regions.
Then you would love it here in Albuquerque, that is how it's been all summer. We are in a severe drought situation at the moment with 2.6 inches of rain since January. It has been near 100 for a long time, but just recently dropped to the low 90's and the humidity hasn't been very high at all. I wouldn't mind a little rain, our garden is really suffering because of the heat and dryness. We use tap water to water but it's not the same, that beautiful rain water has what plants need to survive.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #4483
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoZee View Post
Then you would love it here in Albuquerque, that is how it's been all summer. We are in a severe drought situation at the moment with 2.6 inches of rain since January. It has been near 100 for a long time, but just recently dropped to the low 90's and the humidity hasn't been very high at all. I wouldn't mind a little rain, our garden is really suffering because of the heat and dryness. We use tap water to water but it's not the same, that beautiful rain water has what plants need to survive.
I've never been to NM but I've always wondered living/settling elsewhere one day and NM has been one such state, especially in the higher elevations like Santa Fe.

We're going thru water rationing in L.A. due to the recent droughts. Last time we had some light rain was several months ago. Good thing I don't have a lawn to water. Most of our front landscaping consists of succulents. I like that south-western look in landscaping with lots of cacti.
roadfix is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #4484
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Roadfix, Jo you guys think it could be the lower elevation that makes me work better and not the heat?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #4485
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Roadfix, Jo you guys think it could be the lower elevation that makes me work better and not the heat?
I don't know. Have you spent time at 10,000 ft elevation before?
roadfix is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #4486
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Roadfix, Jo you guys think it could be the lower elevation that makes me work better and not the heat?

Well the air is thinner up here, that's very true. I also read that people age faster at high elevations, not sure if that is true or not.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #4487
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I've never been to NM but I've always wondered living/settling elsewhere one day and NM has been one such state, especially in the higher elevations like Santa Fe.

We're going thru water rationing in L.A. due to the recent droughts. Last time we had some light rain was several months ago. Good thing I don't have a lawn to water. Most of our front landscaping consists of succulents. I like that south-western look in landscaping with lots of cacti.
We are doing the rotating water days here and the water police drive up and down the streets and will fine you if you don't obey the rules or waste water. At the moment we are in a severe drought in this area; having only 2.6 inches of rain since January. Albuquerque sits at around 5,000 ft. I have never lived this high up before. One thousand feet above sea level was the highest before coming here when I lived in Canada, then I lived near Boston so that was nearly sea level and then I moved here.

I don't know that I noticed a difference in how I breathed up here on the mesa. It never affected me that I know of. I find as long as I do a 30 minute walk each day I'm fine. I heard L.A. Was also having water issues. I'm glad I don't have a lawn either. It would cost too much to water it.

We get our water bill in once a month and so far we're doing very good. Our water consumption is 1/2 of what the neighbors are using, so we've learned to conserve. I don't use a dishwasher, I try to limit the amount of laundry I do etc.

We are growing some of our own food (in a back yard garden) which is all organic. However this year the yield has been very poor due to lack of rain.

We put mulch down on the ground to conserve moisture and have Xeriscape in our front yard. Which is basically a creative way to use native plants in an esthetically pleasing way. I think our yard looks really nice with the agave, yucca, cactus and other native plants we've put into it. We have drought tolerant plants on the side of the house as well.

Santa Fe is a beautiful city. I love going there but it is so expensive to live there. Fortunately, it's a mere hour from here so we can go visit it easy enough. We live here in Albuquerque only out of necessity as this is where my hubby's job is. We'd love to live in Santa Fe or even Taos if we could afford to live there.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #4488
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
I am going to start a new vent.

I have been losing the toenails on both big toes since I catered a wedding 2 months ago (being on my feet in the heat without my cane too long). The one nail has since fallen off but the other is "hanging in there" so to speak.

Yesterday we went to the vet to pick up dog food (both dogs have allergies and are on special food). The flats of cans we wanted had loose ones on the top and so I held up an open case and the loose ones while DH got a full one. What I didn't know was there was an open case of another kind above hanging over the edg and I hit it with my head. Two cans came crashing down and hit my two toes. It hurt so bad I couldn't move. The toe without the nail is still very painful and I think I bruised the already tender nail area. The other toe now has twice the bruise under it and I can feel the pressure of the blood but the nail won't loosen. My nurse friend said I should go and have it drained (ouch and yuk)

My vent is that the girl behind the desk was more worried about the fact that we dented the two cans of food and they couldn't be sold. When I explained that the case was hanging over the edge she said that if I knew that already I should have been more careful. DH asked to see the manager (Vet) and was told he was busy. She added the cost of the two tins to our bill and Tony just left all the food there, helped me up and said she would never see us again. This clinic is owned by the same people who own the clinic we go to by our old house, it is just closer for food.

My toes are horrendously sore and swollen today and I do believe I will have to go have them looked at. I feel like I should write the owners and tell them how we were treated. What does everyone else think? Should I just let this go?
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #4489
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am going to start a new vent.

I have been losing the toenails on both big toes since I catered a wedding 2 months ago (being on my feet in the heat without my cane too long). The one nail has since fallen off but the other is "hanging in there" so to speak.

Yesterday we went to the vet to pick up dog food (both dogs have allergies and are on special food). The flats of cans we wanted had loose ones on the top and so I held up an open case and the loose ones while DH got a full one. What I didn't know was there was an open case of another kind above hanging over the edg and I hit it with my head. Two cans came crashing down and hit my two toes. It hurt so bad I couldn't move. The toe without the nail is still very painful and I think I bruised the already tender nail area. The other toe now has twice the bruise under it and I can feel the pressure of the blood but the nail won't loosen. My nurse friend said I should go and have it drained (ouch and yuk)

My vent is that the girl behind the desk was more worried about the fact that we dented the two cans of food and they couldn't be sold. When I explained that the case was hanging over the edge she said that if I knew that already I should have been more careful. DH asked to see the manager (Vet) and was told he was busy. She added the cost of the two tins to our bill and Tony just left all the food there, helped me up and said she would never see us again. This clinic is owned by the same people who own the clinic we go to by our old house, it is just closer for food.

My toes are horrendously sore and swollen today and I do believe I will have to go have them looked at. I feel like I should write the owners and tell them how we were treated. What does everyone else think? Should I just let this go?

Ouch, this sounds very painful. Well, I don't know what the policy is regarding careless stocking of shelves at the vets, but maybe speak to a lawyer?? You have suffered injury which might be expensive. Do they have a sign up at the vets that states that they won't take any responsibility for any injury caused in their office? Might be worth looking into. Incidentally I think the person who was more concerned about the cans being dented then your injury shouldn't be working in a profession where compassion is important. Just my opinion!
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #4490
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
What are you waiting for? Olivia got a finger closed in the back door here and right now her little nail turned purple and started to swell. We waited til she fell asleep and her dad steralized a needle and then put several holes one on top not much came out along the side and fluid poured out, the swelling left and she now has a new nail. She slept through it. I don't recommend doing this but the er could do it safely or your doctor and your feet should heal faster.Plus I'd write that letter..NOW
Sorry your hurting.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #4491
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am going to start a new vent.

I have been losing the toenails on both big toes since I catered a wedding 2 months ago (being on my feet in the heat without my cane too long). The one nail has since fallen off but the other is "hanging in there" so to speak.

Yesterday we went to the vet to pick up dog food (both dogs have allergies and are on special food). The flats of cans we wanted had loose ones on the top and so I held up an open case and the loose ones while DH got a full one. What I didn't know was there was an open case of another kind above hanging over the edg and I hit it with my head. Two cans came crashing down and hit my two toes. It hurt so bad I couldn't move. The toe without the nail is still very painful and I think I bruised the already tender nail area. The other toe now has twice the bruise under it and I can feel the pressure of the blood but the nail won't loosen. My nurse friend said I should go and have it drained (ouch and yuk)

My vent is that the girl behind the desk was more worried about the fact that we dented the two cans of food and they couldn't be sold. When I explained that the case was hanging over the edge she said that if I knew that already I should have been more careful. DH asked to see the manager (Vet) and was told he was busy. She added the cost of the two tins to our bill and Tony just left all the food there, helped me up and said she would never see us again. This clinic is owned by the same people who own the clinic we go to by our old house, it is just closer for food.

My toes are horrendously sore and swollen today and I do believe I will have to go have them looked at. I feel like I should write the owners and tell them how we were treated. What does everyone else think? Should I just let this go?
Why do vets offices have the know it all little twinkies!? Who's Tony,the twinkie? lol you won't walk in next time without thinking of her as Tony The Twinkie"

I'd contact the vet asap.Tell him why you were there to begin with,what happened and tell him that she says "she won't see us again?" Quote her.Then ask him why?
If you don't have an outstanding bill,what is her reasoning for not seeing you again.If no,she was wrong.
As far as not being able to sell the cans,that's a crock,they can feed the dogs that are there for overnight care.Don't pay for that.

It's now the principal of the matter.You were there to take care of your dogs needs.You got hurt,by their lack of not properly stacking the shelves.She put it on you,she had no business in doing so,or calling the shots of who the vet will see or not.

I wouldn't let it go,you don't have to.But do have it looked at by a doctor.

It wouldn't surprise me if the vet tells you he knows nothing about the incident.She probably didn't bother going back to get him,but made you think she did.She knew what she said was wrong,she's covering herself by telling you she won't see you again.Probably not if she gets fired for that.If it's going to cost him money now or in the future,who's side will he take? Yours if he's smart.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #4492
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Why do vets offices have the know it all little twinkies!? Who's Tony,the twinkie? lol you won't walk in next time without thinking of her as Tony The Twinkie"
Tony is my wonderful DH and definitely NOT a Twinkie!

I obviously didnt' explain that part right. The girl added the two cans to our bill so my DH refused to pay it and said that she wouldn't see us in there again (we would take our business elsewhere). We were not there to see the vet, just buy food (our vet is at their other location, as is the owner of the two offices). DH wanted to see the vet to complain about the service and she just passed it off and said he was busy without checking.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #4493
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
I went to the nearby clinic which is the same one I went about my first toenail falling off and he just said "let it fall off, it will grow back". I got him again and this time he took more interest. Kades, he did put a needle in to remove the pressure, though there is still a good hematoma (sp) there but it will probably help the swelling and pressure to have it drained. The other toe with no nail is bruised and the skin is broken so he gave me some ointment for it to keep it from infection. He also said that I couldn't very well press for a legal suit here because the toes were already damaged, this just made it worse. I really don't want to go that far, I just would have liked to be treated better.

As for writing the vet, I have drafted a letter, but DH went to the other office where we actually take our dogs ti buy the food talked to the manager there who we know very well. She said that she will deal with it. At this (the main location) they never have loose cans or open cases on top of full cases and they don't pile it so high with an overhead shelf. She said she knows exactly who it would be and will make sure the owner Vets and the Manager/Vet of the location where it happened know all about it. I trust this woman to do something about it. We have been long time customers and she loves our two dogs. Keeping customers happy is her main focus.

In a way it is a good thing - now the other toenail will fall off sooner and they can grow back faster too.

Thanks, everyone for your comments, recommendations and support.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #4494
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Tony is my wonderful DH and definitely NOT a Twinkie!

I obviously didnt' explain that part right. The girl added the two cans to our bill so my DH refused to pay it and said that she wouldn't see us in there again (we would take our business elsewhere). We were not there to see the vet, just buy food (our vet is at their other location, as is the owner of the two offices). DH wanted to see the vet to complain about the service and she just passed it off and said he was busy without checking.
Whewww glad you cleared that one up,thanks
Guess I had her pegged.I'd still mention that to him.

I've had to raise a fuss at our vets office.By the time I was done,policies were changed,and I hope in the future no other family has to go through it the way we did.
It was all unnecessary and could have been avoided if she had done the right thing to begin with,her job.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #4495
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
Just got off the phone the manager of the main office whoo was calling on behalf of the Vet owner. This is getting totally ridiculous. We never made a deal out of my toes getting hurt, I just sat down for a minute to compose myself because they were very sore. The girl at the desk heard the bang and at first asked if I was okay. I said fine and we wanted to pay for our stuff and go.

SHE is the one that brought up the two cans being dented and SAID we had to pay for them. We NEVER threatened action, blamed anyone or asked for compensation. All we did was decide we weren't going to buy our food there if she was going to charge us for 2 cans when it wasn't our fault.

The Vet Owner (not one of our favourites but we love her staff and so we take our dogs there) is now saying that we harrassed her employees (both the girl regarding the cans and the Manager of the main office who was relaying the message and sounding very uncomfortable. She says that our business is no longer wanted and we can take it elsewhere. We buy very expensive food, flea medication, medication for our dog with arthritis, get check-ups yearly for each dog and have our little one groomed. We are talking a lot of business.

I am absolutely in shock. The manager was very apologetic and said she represented us in a very positive light but the vet went balistic. I am torn because now we have to find a new groomer. Joie is so fussy and the one we have is so good with him. Also the vets we see are wonderful with both dogs.

I should have just sucked it up and never let on I got hurt. I mean my toes were already painful. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have been so bad.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #4496
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,276
Laurie, in these litigious times folks are mental about any HINT of actionable stuff. The vet was being stupid and scared. You absolutely did nothing wrong and you DIDN'T make a big deal of it. Just blow it off and find someone else who treats you better. There are lots of people in this world?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #4497
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Laurie, in these litigious times folks are mental about any HINT of actionable stuff. The vet was being stupid and scared. You absolutely did nothing wrong and you DIDN'T make a big deal of it. Just blow it off and find someone else who treats you better. There are lots of people in this world?
Thanks, Alix, I know you are right. I am just sore (all over, not just my toes), tired and more than a little stressed. I will sleep on it tonight and in the morning it will be like a bad dream.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #4498
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
they are afraid of being sued. if they ticked me off with all this bull, i would sue , just to teach them a lesson.

in this economy if they can afford to lose your business and probably everyone u tell,business .

when i was in retail , we knew one angry person would tell five and each would tell five and so on. it can really cost them big time.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #4499
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Just got off the phone the manager of the main office whoo was calling on behalf of the Vet owner. This is getting totally ridiculous. We never made a deal out of my toes getting hurt, I just sat down for a minute to compose myself because they were very sore. The girl at the desk heard the bang and at first asked if I was okay. I said fine and we wanted to pay for our stuff and go.

SHE is the one that brought up the two cans being dented and SAID we had to pay for them. We NEVER threatened action, blamed anyone or asked for compensation. All we did was decide we weren't going to buy our food there if she was going to charge us for 2 cans when it wasn't our fault.

The Vet Owner (not one of our favourites but we love her staff and so we take our dogs there) is now saying that we harrassed her employees (both the girl regarding the cans and the Manager of the main office who was relaying the message and sounding very uncomfortable. She says that our business is no longer wanted and we can take it elsewhere. We buy very expensive food, flea medication, medication for our dog with arthritis, get check-ups yearly for each dog and have our little one groomed. We are talking a lot of business.

I am absolutely in shock. The manager was very apologetic and said she represented us in a very positive light but the vet went balistic. I am torn because now we have to find a new groomer. Joie is so fussy and the one we have is so good with him. Also the vets we see are wonderful with both dogs.

I should have just sucked it up and never let on I got hurt. I mean my toes were already painful. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have been so bad.
Wow, I think the Vet is definitely over reacting to what happened. You got hurt, they didn't, and as I said what happened to compassion, they are in the business to help sick animals for heaven's sake. Where is their compassion for your injury? They should have apologized to you for their carelessness in stocking their shelves improperly! I think they are afraid you will sue them. Their attitude isn't exactly what I'd have expected either, they should have apologized to you then and there; and if you did sue it would serve them right for being so nasty!
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #4500
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,276
My very minor vent is the weather. We had 2 weeks of what looked like summer and now its over. THAT SUCKS!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.