"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #4501
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My very minor vent is the weather. We had 2 weeks of what looked like summer and now its over. THAT SUCKS!
That isn't a minor vent, Alix! You should have been here from early June to last week! We had almost too much summer here and the rains are a very welcome (for most) change. Hopefully it will decrease the fire risk and have freshened everything. But I am looking forward to the sun on the weekend!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #4502
Master Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 5,506
Laurie, I am so sorry that this happened to you, your dh and your dogs. I believe things happen for a reason but I sure as heck can't see the reason in this case....maybe you will find another vet and groomer that will treat you well.....hope you heal soon!
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #4503
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My very minor vent is the weather. We had 2 weeks of what looked like summer and now its over. THAT SUCKS!
I've been saying it all along, I hope mother nature will see it in her heart and give us a short and mild winter.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #4504
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
We want snow here (up on the mountain, anyways!)... hopefully at Thanksgiving! The Nordic skiing here is great when there is snow! A really good freeze and decent length of cold weather would be nice this winter, too. Beetle damage has taken a huge toll on the forests...
__________________

Wyogal is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #4505
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Our weather this summer has been insanely hot!

It started in March actually. We had 70'F in March. I'm not complaining about that, it was kinda nice to have it like that so early, it was very pleasant, however it was a tad warm for that month.

Then June hit and the temperature rose into the 90-100'F range and stayed that way for about 2 weeks straight. No rain, just lots of sun and hot hot hot! I know so many this year have had no summer to speak of, but it seems its either one extreme or the other.

We got some rain this morning which I believe has brought the grand total of precip. in Albuquerque to around 3.6 inches FOR THE WHOLE YEAR SO FAR! Can you say severe drought!!!

Seems like the earth is going through a lot of weather changes. Lets hope things settle down and everyone is able to enjoy some good weather before the cold sets in.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #4506
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,400
All's well that ends well.

The vet owner called today, and was very genuinely apologetic. I honestly have never seen or heard this woman so honest and humble in the 10 years I have been associated with her office.

I guess the vet we usually see, the office manager, the groomer and two techs saw her and said that she made a big mistake. They said we were excellent customers and didn't deserve to be treated that way. One of the techs had the same knee replacement surgery as me and told the vet that if something fell on her toe it would sure add to regular discomfort. So, the owner talked to the girl we dealt with at the other office and asked her what REALLY happened. I guess the girl had time to think about it and related the story as I did to you.

Anyway, our account has been credited with the cost of the food ($140) and she really wants us back. She said she was having a bad day and thought it was one of the ever complaining clients and had no right to treat us that way. She asked if my feet were okay and offered to pay for any medication I needed for them.

This wasn't a suck up job. I have known this woman for years and she is all business and we switched to one of her other vets after she told us our 6 month old pup, who had hip displacia, needed surgery on both legs NOW, at $4,000 each, even though we kept telling her we couldn't afford even the appointment with the specialist let alone the surgeries. The other vet put Violet on medication ($80 every 3 months) and it has worked fine. The boss also fired a friend's daughter on a misunderstanding and apologized but wouldn't hire her back on principle.

I have honestly never heard her this vulnerable. I said we shall see about coming back, but I am glad it worked out this way. Whether we go back or not, I am glad to put this behind us and that it ended on a more positive note.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me on this one. I am just looking ahead now.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #4507
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
That's good.
__________________

Wyogal is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #4508
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
All's well that ends well.

The vet owner called today, and was very genuinely apologetic. I honestly have never seen or heard this woman so honest and humble in the 10 years I have been associated with her office.

I guess the vet we usually see, the office manager, the groomer and two techs saw her and said that she made a big mistake. They said we were excellent customers and didn't deserve to be treated that way. One of the techs had the same knee replacement surgery as me and told the vet that if something fell on her toe it would sure add to regular discomfort. So, the owner talked to the girl we dealt with at the other office and asked her what REALLY happened. I guess the girl had time to think about it and related the story as I did to you.

Anyway, our account has been credited with the cost of the food ($140) and she really wants us back. She said she was having a bad day and thought it was one of the ever complaining clients and had no right to treat us that way. She asked if my feet were okay and offered to pay for any medication I needed for them.

This wasn't a suck up job. I have known this woman for years and she is all business and we switched to one of her other vets after she told us our 6 month old pup, who had hip displacia, needed surgery on both legs NOW, at $4,000 each, even though we kept telling her we couldn't afford even the appointment with the specialist let alone the surgeries. The other vet put Violet on medication ($80 every 3 months) and it has worked fine. The boss also fired a friend's daughter on a misunderstanding and apologized but wouldn't hire her back on principle.

I have honestly never heard her this vulnerable. I said we shall see about coming back, but I am glad it worked out this way. Whether we go back or not, I am glad to put this behind us and that it ended on a more positive note.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me on this one. I am just looking ahead now.
That's wonderful, I am so glad the owner had the sense to call you and make amends. I don't blame you for feeling bitter about this and considering the possibility of other options.

It is good when things work out on a positive note.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #4509
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
so glad this was resolved in a positive way. so often these days, we just shrug and move on. demand quality customer service. you may not always get it but they won't forget u
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #4510
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am going to start a new vent.

I have been losing the toenails on both big toes since I catered a wedding 2 months ago (being on my feet in the heat without my cane too long). The one nail has since fallen off but the other is "hanging in there" so to speak.

Yesterday we went to the vet to pick up dog food (both dogs have allergies and are on special food). The flats of cans we wanted had loose ones on the top and so I held up an open case and the loose ones while DH got a full one. What I didn't know was there was an open case of another kind above hanging over the edg and I hit it with my head. Two cans came crashing down and hit my two toes. It hurt so bad I couldn't move. The toe without the nail is still very painful and I think I bruised the already tender nail area. The other toe now has twice the bruise under it and I can feel the pressure of the blood but the nail won't loosen. My nurse friend said I should go and have it drained (ouch and yuk)

My vent is that the girl behind the desk was more worried about the fact that we dented the two cans of food and they couldn't be sold. When I explained that the case was hanging over the edge she said that if I knew that already I should have been more careful. DH asked to see the manager (Vet) and was told he was busy. She added the cost of the two tins to our bill and Tony just left all the food there, helped me up and said she would never see us again. This clinic is owned by the same people who own the clinic we go to by our old house, it is just closer for food.

My toes are horrendously sore and swollen today and I do believe I will have to go have them looked at. I feel like I should write the owners and tell them how we were treated. What does everyone else think? Should I just let this go?
Oh Laurie... how painful that must have been. I read your last post and glad the issue is resolved .
hugs,
LC
LadyCook61 is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #4511
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Ever have a small thing that bugged the devil out of you? Something others tell you to get over it? Well I don't know what is going on with my computer, but every time i go from, DC to my mail box, , I have to do the whole log in business over..It drives me to distraction..
I know as my DH and the kids say, so what, so WHAT. It makes me crazy, I have something to say and by the time I' finished, I just want to go do something else!!! And then there is this keyboard!!!!!ack
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #4512
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
this is a sewing rant. i am making a baby quilt for the little girl due in oct. got it all together with the idea of quilting it, either machine or by hand. did one section on machine. hate it. it made it bunch up and looks awful.

looked for seam ripper to take it out, searched everywhere in my sewing stuff. couldn't find. then remember i put it kitchen to remove plastic from various foods.etc

then some hand quilting, don't like it either. i have always in the past just tied here and there with yarn.

now am thinking about taking large stitches with the yarn and also some tyeing. i spent two hours on the hunt for seam ripper, etc. back where i started this am.

i get really crazed when stuff like this happens. effectually i spun my wheels
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #4513
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
this is a sewing rant. i am making a baby quilt for the little girl due in oct. got it all together with the idea of quilting it, either machine or by hand. did one section on machine. hate it. it made it bunch up and looks awful.

looked for seam ripper to take it out, searched everywhere in my sewing stuff. couldn't find. then remember i put it kitchen to remove plastic from various foods.etc

then some hand quilting, don't like it either. i have always in the past just tied here and there with yarn.

now am thinking about taking large stitches with the yarn and also some tyeing. i spent two hours on the hunt for seam ripper, etc. back where i started this am.

i get really crazed when stuff like this happens. effectually i spun my wheels
put away for the night, hand quilting seems to be the way to do. the needle for using yarn is blunt and is too hard to get through the layers.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #4514
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,276
Egads babetoo! I sympathize. Good idea to put it away! UGH!!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #4515
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,309
Argggggggggggggggggggggggg husband!!
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #4516
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Just got off the phone the manager of the main office whoo was calling on behalf of the Vet owner. This is getting totally ridiculous. We never made a deal out of my toes getting hurt, I just sat down for a minute to compose myself because they were very sore. The girl at the desk heard the bang and at first asked if I was okay. I said fine and we wanted to pay for our stuff and go.

SHE is the one that brought up the two cans being dented and SAID we had to pay for them. We NEVER threatened action, blamed anyone or asked for compensation. All we did was decide we weren't going to buy our food there if she was going to charge us for 2 cans when it wasn't our fault.

The Vet Owner (not one of our favourites but we love her staff and so we take our dogs there) is now saying that we harrassed her employees (both the girl regarding the cans and the Manager of the main office who was relaying the message and sounding very uncomfortable. She says that our business is no longer wanted and we can take it elsewhere. We buy very expensive food, flea medication, medication for our dog with arthritis, get check-ups yearly for each dog and have our little one groomed. We are talking a lot of business.

I am absolutely in shock. The manager was very apologetic and said she represented us in a very positive light but the vet went balistic. I am torn because now we have to find a new groomer. Joie is so fussy and the one we have is so good with him. Also the vets we see are wonderful with both dogs.

I should have just sucked it up and never let on I got hurt. I mean my toes were already painful. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have been so bad.
Laurie - I did not even read further on this thread. So if I repeat or make a fool of myself, please forgive.

I would be so angry at "them" right now, I'd have a hard time, and would need to save my contact for the next day.

There are better operations out there. Ask you friends. I had a similar experience in regards to dental support on my own behalf.

What I learned? The callousness and poor customer support attitude for a large contingent of the staff his customers support. The endemic symptoms of poor customer service, started with the leadership of that practice.

I have since moved on to another one, where not only the staff (admin and assistants) are completely the people I can just converse with comfortably, but so is the dentist. in fact, I know quite a bit about them and their family, and they also ask when I visit, the right questions about mine.

Look around, ask for referrals from your trusted friends. If you do not live is a micro-environment. You can do better, and both you and your fur-baby will be happier.

I know.... And if anyone treats you that shoddy, and you are the paying customer, that should be your cue to move on.

Bob
__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #4517
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My very minor vent is the weather. We had 2 weeks of what looked like summer and now its over. THAT SUCKS!
They have summer in Canada?

I would have thought you guys just changed out the flannels for normal clothes for a few weeks of the year.

Bob
__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #4518
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,380
Went to the eye doctor and was told I have the beginning of Macular Degeneration and Cataracts (I know they can do wonderful things now for the Cataracts) but it is the other one I am worried about. I am still in shock. I can't wait for this year to end, I wonder what is next.
__________________
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. Unknown
JoAnn L. is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #4519
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Went to the eye doctor and was told I have the beginning of Macular Degeneration and Cataracts (I know they can do wonderful things now for the Cataracts) but it is the other one I am worried about. I am still in shock. I can't wait for this year to end, I wonder what is next.
JoAnn,
I can understand your frustration,anger,fear. There are times I think what did I do to deserve this, why does life have to be so hard and ugly..There isn't much we can do but have faith and accept the prayers and good thoughts of family and friends. I've found keeping my grand children around helps. It keeps me and my mind busy so I don't dwell on the hurtful things.
I want you to know if prayer and good thoughts helps and lets you know you are cared for and loved, then know you are in my heart,thoughts and prayers each and every day.
If you need and ear, you have mine.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #4520
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
JoAnn,
I can understand your frustration,anger,fear. There are times I think what did I do to deserve this, why does life have to be so hard and ugly..There isn't much we can do but have faith and accept the prayers and good thoughts of family and friends. I've found keeping my grand children around helps. It keeps me and my mind busy so I don't dwell on the hurtful things.
I want you to know if prayer and good thoughts helps and lets you know you are cared for and loved, then know you are in my heart,thoughts and prayers each and every day.
If you need and ear, you have mine.
kades
Thanks for caring kadesma. The eye doctor gave me a Amsler Grid to look at every day to monitor my vision. I will just have to take it one day at a time.
__________________
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. Unknown
JoAnn L. is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.