Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
buckytom

buckytom, how did it go today? Get your license? Meet someone interesting? Or were they all feeling bad? I was hoping the time passed quickly and you didn't forget something.

PDSWife; My DW has suffered from sever migraines for so many years, I can't remember how long it is, maybe for 1979, I think. She's been to so many doctors and neurologists that have tried this medicine, and that medicine, none of them really helping to do anything but take the edge off. She has had spells where the headache lasted multiple weeks, with a day or two of relief, and then anothe cluster.

The reason I'm telling you this, is that jsut recently, while getting prescription for yet another cat scan, she suggested to the doctor that she would like to have her neck checked. At first, he said no. But after she insisted, he agreed. The scan of her cervical spine revealed an old injury that she had gotten before we were married 29 years ago. Seems she fought back one time when someone in a crowd tried to steal her purse. (She was very feisty when she was a young adult, one of the reasons I married her). The perpetrator knocked her down and she ended up with neck pain from the incident, but never had it checked. Some years later, this injury manifested itself in chronic headaches that appeared to be cluster migraines. If she'd had her spine checked when they first started appearing, the doctors say that something could have been done to repair the dammage. But now, there is scar tissue and other problems such that surgery would only complicate things further, according to the same neurologist. So she's stuck with chronic pain for the rest of her life.

Please investigate every avenue before settling for meds to alleviate the pain. It may be that you have whatever imballance causes migraines in otherwise healthy people. But if there is an injury, it's better to find out now that 25 years from now.

As for the nursing home gripes, your are completely justified in your gripes. And I applaud your efforts to get corrective measures taken.

Sizzlin', record the time and date of your compaint to the supervisor, so that if action isn't taken, you have documented evidence that you took steps to correct the problem. Also, should this bounce back at you (and I sure hope it doesn't), there are laws to protect whistle-blowers. People have been fired for such things as trying to correct problems. Protect yourself with as much documentation as possible, and with witnesses if you can.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, I sure hope your wife finds some relife soon! Weeks at a time with this pain ...OH MY GOODNESS!!! How sad. With me it's family related. Both my parents, two grandmothers, one grandfather and now my son all get them.... The men seem to out grow them but we women just keep on suffering. My first one happened when I was 8 so... I doubt if it has anything to do with an injury but I shall look into it. Thanks!!!

Re migraines, like pdswife, mine are, or were, a family problem, my mother used to get seriously bad ones, my father gets them less frequently and in my teens I was getting them as often as twice/three times a week. Like Goodweed's wife, my mother and I had lots of tests.

Mine stopped when I had mey wisdom teeth removed, I get them hardly ever now, which is amazing, especially as I have had serious neurological problems and migraines might have been expected with that.....my mother's also reduced once she started receiving treatment for hypothyroidism. A lot of the time things like migraines are, I believe, telling us something, maybe a health problem, or maybe just to relax and unwind!

In the Kitchen said:
buckytom, how did it go today? Get your license? Meet someone interesting? Or were they all feeling bad? I was hoping the time passed quickly and you didn't forget something.

so, migraines are really a pain in the neck? (or jaw, sinuses, glands, etc.)

itk, thanks for your kind words. yes, i went back first thing this morning, and it only took me 1/2 hour to get my license.

Goodweed of the North said:
PDSWife; My DW has suffered from sever migraines for so many years, I can't remember how long it is, maybe for 1979, I think. She's been to so many doctors and neurologists that have tried this medicine, and that medicine, none of them really helping to do anything but take the edge off. She has had spells where the headache lasted multiple weeks, with a day or two of relief, and then another cluster.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey, Goodweed, have your DW ask her physician about Aricept as a treatment for migraines. Here's why.

Several years ago I was in a vehicle accident in which I was nearly killed. I ended up with a closed head injury and lost my short-term memory as a result. Lived in a nightmare for months before Buck's sharp eyes noticed a piece in the newspaper about a research facility seeking applicants for a memory study using a drug that was used to treat Alzheimer patients. They suspected the drug could be used to treat memory loss. Alzheimer patients couldn't be used for the study because they were unreliable subjects for an in depth research study.

I'd never had migraines until I had my accident and was plagued with them with painful frequency. My doctor tried several drugs. The only one that ever gave me any relief was Zomig. Worked, mostly, but was very expensive.

Anyway, back to the research study. As it turned out, it was a worldwide study and I was the first person in the United States to qualify. I felt as though I'd gotten a gold medal in the Olympics. It was a double blind study, so no one at the facility or I knew whether or not I was taking the drug or a placebo.

When it was all said and done, I it turned out that I WAS taking the drug. Two things resulted. My memory has returned to 100% and I haven't had a migraine for years. I mentioned this to my advisor during the study. When the study was over, they told me that they suspected the drug could be used to treat migraines. Now there's a study for that, too.

At any rate, the study drug was Aricept. It has worked wonderfully well for my memory and I will have to take it for the rest of my life. My migraines are gone, too.

OK - I am a total wreck - A man tried to abduct my son and two of his friends today - We called the police and they put out a BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR on him BUT I am really shook up - The thing that was even worse was I called what I thought was a good friend of mine who lives only a few miles from me - I did not want to call my mom as she is not doing well - Any way when I asked this person to come over and be with me and my son they said no - It kills me that they could not even be bothered to help - I also want to remind everyone to talk to their kids about this - My son and his friends screamed and ran but the man followed them untill he saw them calling me on the cell phone - Please be carefull -

Nightmare

I am so sorry. This is every mother's nightmare. Whenever they leave the house you are fearful of some strange guy taking them. This feeling never leaves, not even when they grow up and become adults. Your children are always yours to protect. I truly don't care if they like it or not that I worry about them. I will never outgrow that kind of emotion. Some kind of friend, doesn't consider your feelings! Time like this you need some support.

Reanie, it seems to never fails that when you are having such emotional stress already, you get more. It happens all the time. Just do as much as you can to protect him and hopefully the other parents will join you and do the same. Certainly thankful he was not alone. Wish I lived close I would walk him to school for you.

Thinking of you and your family.

Last edited:
Freakin` Perverts everywhere man! I hope the catch the son of a biatch and nail him to a tree!
if anyone even Thought of trying to do that to my daughter I wouldn`t be responsible for the results.

Oh my gosh! You must feel - I don't even know the words! I can't believe it! I am so glad your son and his friends are okay and knew what to do in this situation - you taught him well! What a scary thing - I know this will probably be the center of your thoughts for a long time to come - how can it not be? I feel for you honey - squeeze that boy!

Holy cow Reanie! I'm so glad your kids are OK. Hug them tight. Don't worry, they'll catch that guy and heaven help him when they do.

Oh my goodness Reanie. That is dreadful news. I can understand why you didn't want to upset your mum, and I'm amazed your friend didn't help out. This a dreadful event. I hope you're all getting over it as well as you can.

Reanie, bless you all. I hope the man is caught this minute and put in jail so you don't have to worry about it, although you'll remember it for years.

As for your friend...*snort*

Reanie, I can't even imagine how you must have felt. I know that my kids, even now that they are grown, are my world. I'm thanfull that they're ok. I too hope the perpetrator is soon caught and receives max punishment that the law will allow.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Looks like I'm in the market for a new microwave. My old one fried last night. I've had it for about 9 years now. It's a hundred-dollar job from Wally-World.

Thank you all for your posts and support. I finally got a few hours sleep last night. My son is still having trouble sleeping and experiencing nightmares that wake him up screaming. The school counselor talked to him yesterday and is going to see him again today. I am so thankfull to have him home safe. I hope none of you ever have to go through this and I am truly gratefull for all of the support you have given me and my son. God Bless - Irene

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom