Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my gripe. Good products cost lots of money. I don't know how many of you are familiar with archery. But if you are shooting a bow in the weight range of 70 lbs., and you get a cheap arrow, or one with insufficient spine, the arrow will, depending on what it's made of, either shatter, or warp before it leaves the string.

I gave my ancient (purchased in 1975) Caroll compound bow to my eldest son as it only has a 20% let-off, and though I can still pull it easily enough, it now tires me too quickly, and I can't hold the drawn position long enough anymore. When I bought it, I could pull that bow all day long.

Well, Troy couldn't draw it succesfully until he reached about 160 lb. and 19 years of age. So to him, that bow was "the Legend". And he couldn't shoot it with any accuracy until he hit his mid-twenties. We were shooting together one day, using aluminum arrows, and he went into the house for something. I'd shot all of my arrows and so picked up a couple of his. he was shooting a 50 lb. compound at the time. I let fly two of his arrows and they flew substancially off course. I retrieved the arrows and found them severley warped by the acceleration produced by my bow. So you can see how important it is to purchase proper arrows.

I just spent about three to four hours on-line surching for graphite arrows. I have a set limit for presents for my kids, nothing over $100. I've already spent about $40 on him. And do you think I could find a good set of arrows that went for less than $50? Nope. Not even on Ebay. The problem is that nobody on line seems to sell arrows in amounts less than a dozen. I only need three to four good arrows as he already has some. And most of the high-grade arrows that would work with his bow are in the $80 to $115 per dozen range.

It's a terible thing to know the difference between high quality, and something that will just get you by. And I never get my kids something that will just get them by. I'd rather give them one quality gift than several lesser quality things.

He's just going to have to get his arrows late, as I can purchase arrows in any amount desired from a local sporting goods store, albeit with fairly expensive per arrow prices. But that's just the way life is.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Is it possible to hold over the present you've already bought (for a birthday, for example) and just give him a dozen decent arrows now? Do you think he'd like the arrows?

I'll pm you if that's OK with you to ask you for some advice about archery.

My biggest gripe and if someone has already said this already it still bears repeating. I can't stand people who drive in the passing lane on the Highway's. There are a numbers of signs that say "slower traffice keep right". It's a very simple premise. But there are plenty of selfish, inconsiderate, stupid, &*)))#$ people who insist on driving 60 mph in the right lane when the speed limit is 65. They will even sit next to another car completely blocking traffic and gesture to you as if your the problem. I will set my cruise control for about 72 mph and travel in the right lane, pass when needed and move back over. If I do happen to be in the passing lane and someone is coming up on me I speed up until I can get into the other lane. HOW HARD IS IT? AHHHHHHHGGGHHHH !!! I have to go now and take my valium and wipe the blood has has started dripping from my eyes.

JDP

JDP said:
My biggest gripe and if someone has already said this already it still bears repeating. I can't stand people who drive in the passing lane on the Highway's. There are a numbers of signs that say "slower traffice keep right". It's a very simple premise. But there are plenty of selfish, inconsiderate, stupid, &*)))#$ people who insist on driving 60 mph in the right lane when the speed limit is 65. They will even sit next to another car completely blocking traffic and gesture to you as if your the problem. I will set my cruise control for about 72 mph and travel in the right lane, pass when needed and move back over. If I do happen to be in the passing lane and someone is coming up on me I speed up until I can get into the other lane. HOW HARD IS IT? AHHHHHHHGGGHHHH !!! I have to go now and take my valium and wipe the blood has has started dripping from my eyes.

JDP

I can relate. Here's a like problem. I was driving I-15 South from El Cajon to San Diego one night, about 2am. The road was almost devoid of traffic. This pin head in a sporty car drove up behind me. I was doing the speed limit in the slow lane (4-lane highway). He tailgated me for a while, and then sped up to pass me. I glanced over to see him snear and give me an obscene gesture as if I were impeding his right to break the speed limit. He seemed very upset. Now I could understand this if I were blocking traffic, but like I said, I was the only other person driving on a 4-lane highway. He could easily pass me.

I get somewhat exasperated by those who pull out right in front of you, on icy streets no less, causing you to break hard, and then crawl along at 10 to 15 mph lower than is allowed, and then turn off half a block down the road, especially when there is absolutely no one behind me and it would have cost the rude driver no more than an additional 5 seconds or so to let me pass, and not place my property and life in jeapardy.

I guess there will always be pinheaded drivers, and we just have to understand that we must, as Crewsk says, "Be nice to others, not because they are, but because we are" (thanks for that Crewsk).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
In the South they say on their bumper stickers, "I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying".

I thought Baltimore was bad but in GA and FL, little ol' ladies pass me going over my 80mph, with their fingers saying I'm #1, while mouthing words that I can't say here. :LOL:

JDP said:

JDP

I bet 9 out of 10 have Indiana license plates :LOL: ........hey I'm a transplanted Hoosier so I don't do that.....but you can bet I can spot an Indiana driver......they drive me crazy! They passed a law in IL that you can't go slow in the fast lane but I have yet to see anyone pulled over for it.

ANGRY!!!
I was having a good day up until about 10 minutes or so...I got home from a nice easy day at work and decided to do some dishes...Well I put the stopper in the sink and turn on the water to fill it up...I decide man I have to use the restroom. So I go and use the facilities, get out and decide I want to see what my friends at DC are up to. I sit down and find this thread and begin to read feeling bad for all of the poeple having hard days.

DH is doing laundry so I do not notice the running water sound in the background...UNTIL...Guess who forgot she left VERY hot water filling up the kitchen sink and who had to burn her hand to get out the stopper so some of the water could drain???

SizzlininIN said:
I bet 9 out of 10 have Indiana license plates :LOL: ........hey I'm a transplanted Hoosier so I don't do that.....but you can bet I can spot an Indiana driver......they drive me crazy! They passed a law in IL that you can't go slow in the fast lane but I have yet to see anyone pulled over for it.

No Indiana's not my problem. It's mainly Minnesota and Wisconsin drivers. Illinois people seem to have a good grasp on the concept.

And SizzlininIN thanks for starting the bleeding again. I can't stand when some stupid, freaking idiot, sob pulls out in front of you on a 2 lane highway when absolutely no one is behind you causing you to slam on the brakes because they don't realize the right pedal is actually for acceleration. Sometimes I really understand road rage... I need to find my valium again

JDP

Last edited:
Piffle. Just today I finished the last of my office obligations by enduring an audit I've been working toward for the last two months (okay, between DC posts :blush: ) and for the last couple of weeks I just kept telling myself "okay, never mind, get through the audit and then if you really scramble you can do some Christmas baking and a bit more shopping and get the gifts all wrapped and the house tidyed up before Christmas eve ..."

... and you know what? By 1:30 I was done with the audit, and by 2:30 I knew it wasn't my imagination that every time I swallowed my throat hurt. It's now 5:30 and both my ears ache and my throat feels HORRIBLE and something nasty's brewing in my sinuses.

$#@&* does this have to hit NOW?!

That's really bad luck, Ayrton. I reckon your body has been working towards the audit too but has decided that that's the goal and now it's time for a rest. Time to get everyone and anyone doing the tidying at least.

Aw, thanks Snoop! I'll remember your kind thoughts as I gargle :sick:.

(I'll tell Everyone and Anyone that you said it's their turn!)

My hubby was supposed to be home 2 hours ago to help me fnish getting the house cleaned & take off the trash!!! He went to his parents house to help his dad with a few things. I don't have a problem with that at all, but he does this to me every time I need his help with things!

crewsk said:
My hubby was supposed to be home 2 hours ago to help me fnish getting the house cleaned & take off the trash!!! He went to his parents house to help his dad with a few things. I don't have a problem with that at all, but he does this to me every time I need his help with things!

I know what you mean crewsk -- it's maddening, isn't it? My hubby gets asked by various relatives to take a look at their malfunctioning mixers, blenders, phones -- you name it if it's a small appliance or something electrical. They do this because he's an engineer and because he's just always been very good at fixing stuff like this.

That's fine, but do you know how long I wait for him to fix the same things at home?! Sometimes its just b**l-breaking to have everybody else come first!

Crewsk, I understand your frustration - my DH does't know the word "no" - I feel like we are always last.

I have a horrible cold, inlaws just arrived for almost three weeks, and I find out last night (with wet clothes in the dryer and washer) that the dryer is broke - it doesn't heat. A house full of people and a toddler who wets the bed - all four days before Christmas - aarrrrggghhhh! To look on the brighter side, at least it wasn't the dishwasher!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom