Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lulu said:
Well, when I come to Roma I'll sit at the front and bark at anyone who encroaches on your space, lol!

Well, that's another good reason for you to relocate to Rome!!:LOL:

lulu said:
Thanks for earlier kind words about housing. DH saw a property avocado this morning the situation here changed again :( this afternoon, we go to the lawyer again this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I think part of the problem is that LL does not have enough to do. I have all day to pander to him, but obviously DH does not. So, we call it quits, do what has to be done and start the search again, lol. Oh the dread of it! In fact, we now learn that this is VERY common here, the woman who was in DH's role before him actually left Italy after her third terible housing experience in two years...Milano has it seems a sad reputation for this in Italy. :(

That maybe why the Italians prefer to BUY a house (well, more likely a flat in Rome and Milano..) instead of rentng. I heard renting is not a popular option among them, and they try to buy one even though they obviously cost way too much these days, especially in Rome and Milano. And which leaves the majority of the properties for let for mainly foreigners, thus there are less control. Which is a sad situation. You need to consult with a well reputed real estate agents, and Michael should seek all the help he can get from the local colleagues/acquaintants to find such an agent, and/or a place to live. Once again, in bocca al lupo, you need all the luck you can get!!

lulu said:
Yep, we sent him a letter today to invite him to break the contract. Italy's rental laws are very different to any other country I have lived in, and like most things in Italy, involve a LONG process, lol.

We have already started looking, so that if/when he "accepts our invitation" we can cut and run! Its just so sad. Horrid to think of the next person living here too and them going through all of this!

Yeah, I was just going to say to Kadesma this is not America. Italy is very different and nothing is that simple.

Little vent. I turned my head too quickly and got a burn up one side of my neck. Usually when that happens the pain goes away pretty quickly, but today it has stayed and its giving me a headache. Ow.

Alix said:
Little vent. I turned my head too quickly and got a burn up one side of my neck. Usually when that happens the pain goes away pretty quickly, but today it has stayed and its giving me a headache. Ow.

been there done that... hate it when that happens!!:blink:

So sorry lulu that your having to deal with all of this......hope and pray that it all works out in the end for you guys.

Sorry to hear about your neck Alix.......try some Aleve or Advil (if you can take either of them) and put a heating pad on it.......hopefully that combination will help. Gentle Hugs :(

Alix said:

Uncle Bob's remedy for this is 2 or 3 oz. of good Kentucky Bourbon..along with some "chill" time! :rolleyes:

Oh Alix, poor you!

As regards buying, the english like the americdans buy houses! But its expensive here and the process may be longer than how long we stay, I still hope DH gets offered a UK contract sooner rather than later!

Anyway, for now I am all good, my avvocato (not avocado as I typed earlier!) was great and an old friend of DH's boss. He said some not flattering things about corporate lawyers (like his friend and DH!) and laughed at the letter the entire office had had a go at writing, and told us when we buy a company fine, DH does our own lawyer-ing, when we deal with "real" problems, get a "real" lawyer, ROFL

We have a plan :(

Uncle Bob said:
Uncle Bob's remedy for this is 2 or 3 oz. of good Kentucky Bourbon..along with some "chill" time! :rolleyes:

Wish I could but I'm off to work now. They frown on arriving at work after a few oz. of the good stuff. Advil is a marvelous thing and I'm feeling better. Thanks all for the sympathy.

Ah, Lulu... now you cleared the wee mystery for me... I was just wondering what has avocado got to do with this whole thing.:LOL: I never thought of avvocato as I was thinking in the English mode at that time!!

(Avvocato = attorney, solicitor, barrister etc. in Italian)

urmaniac13 said:
Ah, Lulu... now you cleared the wee mystery for me... I was just wondering what has avocado got to do with this whole thing.:LOL: I never thought of avvocato as I was thinking in the English mode at that time!!

(Avvocato = attorney, solicitor, barrister etc. in Italian)

Avocado is probably of more use anyway....... :ROFLMAO:

Ok, I’ve been holding out on this for 3 days, but I can’t stand it anymore. So 3 days ago we got full house of sick kids. The day started with school calling my wife and telling her that one of our daughters has lies. By the time she got to school, they were calling her to tell that the other daughter is throwing up and yet another one has something wrong with her eye; of course, it ended up being a pink eye. So fever, throw ups, pink eye, lies. So dealing with all of that at the same time could be a lot fun – NOT. To make it the full house our son had some kind of weird rash on his legs, looked pretty strange and hurt too.
She had to wash everything in the house and then some. Vacuuming, cleaning, more laundry more vacuuming. In the mean time we keep washing hair of, trying to put eye drops into eyes of another, who is fighting tooth and nail trying to squeeze her eyes so tight that no medicine gets anywhere close, and keep cleaning the throw ups, that did not make it to garbage or toilet, fun, fun 3 days. Thank G-d it’s getting better. Except the daughter with the lies problem, I butchered her hair. Not that I know what to do to begin with, the scissors we had are so, so bad, she still looks cute. But now we have to deal with nits, they are still there and there are a lot of them. Oh… How do even get rid off them?

The thing that makes me mad though, is the fact that it is the most likely that she got them at the hair place; we took her there few days ago. And we have been thinking about it and that’s the only logical explanation. Darn. If only I had prove. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry: :censored: :angry: :censored:

Charlie, your daughter may have gotten the lice from school. It's not unusual, in the wintertime, for children to contract lice from schoolmates. It's cold. They wear hats and sometimes share hats. Lice can be transmitted that simply and VERY quickly. Try to encourage her not to share hats or scarves with anyone. You'll get through it. We survived these sorts of things with 5 children.

Your local chemist is bound to have a treatment for lice if you want to use a chemical/pharmaceutical product. You can also buy really fine combs like they used in the old days but which are coming back into fashion (so to speak!) now that parents are becoming more and more concerned about the chemicals kids are exposed to. I agree with Katie E - the most likely source is another kid at school. The only consolation is that lice like clean hair - just because she's got them doesn't mean she's dirty or that people will think she is. Hope all the kids start to feel better soon.

Oh Charlie, what a HORRIBLE week!! There are all kinds of products for lice removal. Not sure what you can get there in the US, but look for Kwellada, thats one that works. Most kits come with a special comb to remove the nits. Back in the dark ages, kerosene was one of the things that got rid of both lice and their nits, you can also use tea tree oil. For every one adult louse there will be exactly 6 nits so if you are picking through it might help to keep count a bit. Just remember that lice prefer clean hair, so your daughter likely had really good hygiene!

Oh Charlie! I feel for you! My daughter and lice when she was 2 - which was a long time ago but very alive still in my mind. It is near impossible to great rid of. It is alot more work than just washing your hair and being done like the school nurse says.

You may want to treat everyone in the house - even if they show no signs of lice yet. No sharing beds. Vacuum your furniture, beds, carpet and car often. Throw away all her hair bows and barrettes. Any stuffed animals, wash if you can or bag up for at least two weeks. I put all my daughters dolls and barbies through the dishwasher.

Strip the beds and spray the mattress and pillows with a lice and tick spray and keep the minimum bedding on until this is over. Get her her own set of brushes and combs and bleach or boil them after every use. Check for nits every night and remove. Bleach the area where you did this every night and wash all towels and clothes in hot water. Apply the lice treatments religiously! I say this from experience, trust me!

Lice like clean hair, keep it dirty and up in a pony and bun. Tell her not to sit on any couches or fabric stuff in school (some of these schools have bean bags and couches for reading -all that does is spread it!) Lice can't jump but they can climb, so be careful on upholstered things like the movie theatre seats, seats in your cars, car seats, etc.

It can take up to 10 days for a nit to hatch, so stay a step ahead at all times. Apply the lice treatment religiously (I think it is once a week or once every 10 days). Lice are hearty and becoming resistent to treatment - the little buggers!

A couple years ago I saw a spray that was a lice repellent but it was very very hard to find. It came in a yellow bottle. Also, there are some products at fairytaleshaircare.com that claim to get rid of and repel lice. In addition, I heard of a new hairdryer that is supposed to zap lice and nits dead on the spot, but I am not sure it is on the market yet. I heard some schools were going to be using them.

After two months, two vacuums, a dozen bottles of bleach, a couple bags of destroyed toys, raw hands, and losing over 5 lbs., I finally set off several flea bombs in my house. They say those don't work but I was near a nervous breakdown and was willing to try anything, I even treated the cat! After the flea bombs I never saw another nit again.

I know I sound like a freak, but this experience was awful. I'm sorry you are going through this. Unless your school as a "no nit" policy, lice will probably be circulating the school for a very long time. Alot of people just wash hair and send the kid back. In grade school we saw the same kids getting lice - I think they never got rid of it - it was so sad. Good luck!

Thank you everybody. We did use some stuff local drug stores sales. The lies are gone but the nits are still there.

The reason we know that it was Not school because the whole school has been checked for it. Kids go to a very small private school. All parents know each other and most of us are friends. So I know for fact she did not get them in school.

We are washing and nearly sterilizing everything she use or comes in contact with. It’s been crazy. Thanks Michele.

corazon90 said:
This is making me mad today.
The Bellingham Herald / Top / Teens racing cause deadly crash, police say
Less than a year ago something similar happened in Bellingham. How did these kids forget so quickly?
Cora,
one thing I learned long ago..Teens do NOT believe that it will happen to them! They just cannot fathom that when you die that's it. They have no idea the pain and sorrow that ripples out from their actions..I don't know how we can impress young people with the seriousness of not being cautious. My daughters were forever rolling their eyes at me for telling them to be careful! Now, it has come home to them and guess what Cade,Carson,Ethan and Olivia hear?
kadesma

Cora,

It really has nothing to do with forgetting. Children, especially teens feel they are invincible. They are also fascinated with dangerous things. Speed, for example. Death is what happens to someone else, old folks like adults. They are immune because death CAN'T happen to them. It's always their grandparents, etc. who die.

WE know they are not, but we've had years of learning and experience and some of us even tasted some of the danger that causes severe consequences and, thankfully, didn't pay the full price.

And a year to a teen can seem like a lifetime and as a percentage of their lives it really IS a lifetime. One year of 18 is a lifetime compared to one year of 30 or 40 or more years. More in my case, so perhaps we can understand how they might view things differently. It's sad but it happens more often than we'd like.

All I can say is, hold your children close. Regardless, we have them for such a short time. No parent wants to bury a child.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom