"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #1761
Master Chef
 
SierraCook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Valley, Northern California, USA
Posts: 5,580
I have been without my oven for over a week. The local appliance repairman came and looked at it a week ago last Tuesday. I was under the assumption that he was going to order the part. I was away from home last week at training and did not call him until today. He had not ordered the part. So, stil no oven!! It is amazing how much you miss an appliance when it is not functioning. This means: no cookies, no casseroles, no desserts, no muffins, etc!! Luckily, I have lots of recipes that cook on the stove or in the crockpot for dinner.
__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline  
Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #1762
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've seen this a couple of times, too, and I never know what to do. Like you, I wonder if I say something to the parent, will they take it out on the child later at home? And will it be even worse? I was at a store in the Outlet Mall once and like you, I went to a cashier and told her. She looked really upset, too, but I don't think there was much they could do. And unfortunately in Texas, people seem to be able to get away with all sorts of abuse of children without any penalties. I love Texas but we need to do something about how we protect children here.

Your right, too many get away with too much. That's why it's worse every year!! What is sad are the stories we hear of that the FOSTER parents that are suppose to take care of them because they were abused at home, are abusing them too. These poor kids have no protection.
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #1763
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,587
I'm sorry--I've been involved with getting my daughter off to college......Yeah, I agree totally TexasGirl, it was so unsettling to see this mother smack her babies around........I wished that I had had the nerve to go up to her and do something but like you I'd be afraid that she'd take it out on them later and she looked menacing...........it's not right and shouldn't be allowed and immediately addressed if it occurs in a public place---you don't see parents in Europe or K. smacking their kids around and there is a reason
__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #1764
Chef Extraordinaire
 
suziquzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 11,488
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
I have been without my oven for over a week. The local appliance repairman came and looked at it a week ago last Tuesday. I was under the assumption that he was going to order the part. I was away from home last week at training and did not call him until today. He had not ordered the part. So, stil no oven!! It is amazing how much you miss an appliance when it is not functioning. This means: no cookies, no casseroles, no desserts, no muffins, etc!! Luckily, I have lots of recipes that cook on the stove or in the crockpot for dinner.
I had the same problem getting into cookie baking season! No oven is a bad deal!
I did find though that if you are willing to shovel your way to the grill (I think you had a little snow) it can be used to get an emergency casserole done just fine!
__________________
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #1765
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
scream out loud

just spent an hour waiting in the wind, cold and rain for a taxi. i used to take them a lot.(i don't drive, never have) the service got very bad. so i took steps so i wouldn't have to take them.

ie food shop on line, presp. delievered , etc.

needed a hair cut badly so made an appointment for today. i have a friend that usually i go with. she hates to drive in rain so i planned to take a cab.

they ofter credit card service, had no cash so used it to go to shop. driver was really a pill about my usuing the card. says he has to pay 6%. in any case he chose the job. so not my problem.

got hair cut, did a bit of shopping and called a cab to come home. would not give me an epa. waited half an hour and called back. asap i was told. waited another half an hour, meantime it got colder and windy and started to rain.

lady that went in store, saw me when she came out and offered me a ride. i took it. usually when i got a ride would call cab company and tell them. i was so mad i thought to heck with them. when i got home called and complained. usual garbarge. we apologize .

there i feel better what a good thread. lol
babe
babetoo is offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #1766
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
I hate that you sat out there that long in the cold and rain!! Is it an individual company or a company big enough you can get to the corporate office?
I'm so glad that someone got you home!!
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #1767
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
OK..... what the ####!

My plans to purchase a tv at circuit city fell through Sunday, so I ordered it at Amazon instead. They always get stuff to me in a couple days.
I saw where it had left the city 5 hours east of me and was taken to a city 2 hour west of me Monday. There it sat..... or so the tracking information said. So I called Amazon. I'm not going to get into how many people I talked to and the "language" barrier encountered, but I finally had a phone number of the trucking depot the tv was supposed to be at..... back close to where it was originally shipped from! They didn't have any record of it. So they gave me Cleveland's depot number, where it supposedly has been sitting for three days. Nope. No record.... wait a minute...... here you go, we haven't even picked up the TV from Amazon yet. WHAT?!

So I called Amazon again. Yes, it's in stock. No, we don't know why it hasn't shipped yet, but you are scheduled to get it next week. I know, I said.... that's when I'm scheduled to receive the other items I ordered with the tv and I received those a couple days ago.....

Now, Amazon has always gotten things to me in 2-3 days. It amazes me sometimes, so why now? Why this? I was really lookiing forward to having it for the Superbowl and the Dish guy is supposed to be here today to hook up my digital programing. Argggh. If I didn't have him come today, it would be next week sometime and I DID NOT want my tv here without have digital....

OK, better now maybe....
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #1768
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK..... what the ####!

My plans to purchase a tv at circuit city fell through Sunday, so I ordered it at Amazon instead. They always get stuff to me in a couple days.
I saw where it had left the city 5 hours east of me and was taken to a city 2 hour west of me Monday. There it sat..... or so the tracking information said. So I called Amazon. I'm not going to get into how many people I talked to and the "language" barrier encountered, but I finally had a phone number of the trucking depot the tv was supposed to be at..... back close to where it was originally shipped from! They didn't have any record of it. So they gave me Cleveland's depot number, where it supposedly has been sitting for three days. Nope. No record.... wait a minute...... here you go, we haven't even picked up the TV from Amazon yet. WHAT?!

So I called Amazon again. Yes, it's in stock. No, we don't know why it hasn't shipped yet, but you are scheduled to get it next week. I know, I said.... that's when I'm scheduled to receive the other items I ordered with the tv and I received those a couple days ago.....

Now, Amazon has always gotten things to me in 2-3 days. It amazes me sometimes, so why now? Why this? I was really lookiing forward to having it for the Superbowl and the Dish guy is supposed to be here today to hook up my digital programing. Argggh. If I didn't have him come today, it would be next week sometime and I DID NOT want my tv here without have digital....

OK, better now maybe....
OH NO!!
That is horrible. Amazon is usually very good about getting it there. If it is late getting there, you might put enough of a gripe for them to expedite that package to you.
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #1769
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
They forwarded my "concern" to some specialty dept they have. I got an email back saying they were sorry, but my order got misplaced. I should have the TV by the sixth.... oh well. All the stuff I've gotten through them and I never had an order misplaced. Why this one?

Thanks for listening.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #1770
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...Why this one?...
Because it is THE one. LOL Kind of like Murphy's Law, the one you really count on is the one that doesn't come through.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #1771
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Because it is THE one. LOL Kind of like Murphy's Law, the one you really count on is the one that doesn't come through.

Barbara
Lord aint that the truth!

Its like they have ESP and know just when to mess things up for maximum frustration!
Maverick2272 is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #1772
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
It didn't take ESP. I can see it now. The woman taking the order just broke up with her boyfriend of 7 years because all he ever did was watch sports on TV and never paid any attention to her. An order comes in from pacanis, right before Super Bowl Sunday. Hmmmm, a man, Super Bowl, huge TV. "Huh-uh, not gonna happen," says she. And the rest is history!

Barbara
Barbara L is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #1773
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Maverick2272 is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #1774
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
It didn't take ESP. I can see it now. The woman taking the order just broke up with her boyfriend of 7 years because all he ever did was watch sports on TV and never paid any attention to her. An order comes in from pacanis, right before Super Bowl Sunday. Hmmmm, a man, Super Bowl, huge TV. "Huh-uh, not gonna happen," says she. And the rest is history!

Barbara
That's too much... and probably too close to the truth
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #1775
Chef Extraordinaire
 
suziquzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 11,488
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Amazon, I've noticed, has been getting worse and worse with thier shipping in the last year or so. I've seen things one day on my shipping record listed as in the distribution center 5 miles away. The next day it's in Topeka.
It used to show at the door almost to the minute of the tracking history!
__________________
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #1776
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
wanna drag, wanna drag, wanna drag, wanna drag.

okay
texasgirl is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #1777
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
How do you tell someone to back off ? I'm training to do my dialysis at home, DH goes with me..When my kidneys first failed in september, he and my son were the ones who saved my life by forcing me to go to the hospital..Since then, my DH, is forever looking over my shoulder..That is okay, but it is getting to be a headache..The nurses have given me a large binder with all kinds of info, plus we do quizes and then go over them..DH, has begun to nag me to give him the finished tests so HE can correct them..before we turn them in..I did this once and he erased my answers and said I was wrong and that they wouldn't let me do this at home and bleat and blatt.. I proved to him my answers were correct and that from now on he could not see the tests...I since have refused to give him the tests and he pouts and sniffs and steps on his lip every time we have to go to the center..This is making me resentful and his constant, reminders that he saved me are wearing thin here..How to tell him to back off? Or do I just suck it up and try not to let it bother me.. I'm having a hard time with all this and the fact that I have a zillion people telling me what to do, when to do it and that I feel I don't own me anymore..Give me the straight scoop, I'm getting a tough hide now

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1778
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
I think he is doing it for two reasons: He loves you and is trying to be helpful, and he is worried about losing you. HOWEVER, he is going to have to learn that what he is doing, no matter how good his intentions are, is not helping you at all and is actually having an opposite effect on you. Could you have your doctor talk to him about it? I'm sure the doctor has seen this kind of thing before.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #1779
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Oh yeah, as for the other zillion people--Get a few cans of Silly String, and when they start up, just give them a blast (they won't know that you are pretending it is a machine gun!).

Barbara
Barbara L is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #1780
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Oh yeah, as for the other zillion people--Get a few cans of Silly String, and when they start up, just give them a blast (they won't know that you are pretending it is a machine gun!).

Barbara
Thanks I need to laugh..It feels so good..
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.