Olives! Love them or hate them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I love olives but I know many people who can't stand them!

Do you love them or hate them? ( I love them!)

Which ones are your favourite? ( My favourite ones in order are: Calamata, Green Olives stuffed with Pimientos, Green Olives Stuffed with Anchovies. )

How do you enjoy them?

I love them as is, with cheese like fresh mozzarella or cheddar, (feta baked with calamata olives, tomato slices, pepper and olive oil and served with flat breads), in Greek Salad, torn onto toasted baguettes with butter, on pizza with mozzarella and sundried tomatoes, in omelettes, in Vodka Martinis etc.

I like them marinated in a 6-1 mixture of gin and vermouth.

When my daughter was 8 or 9, she preferred olives to candy. and would eat every olive in the house, leaving none for the martini. Problem was solved by teaching her how to make a martini, with an olive, and there would always be 2 left in the jar for my nightly martini.

I like them marinated in a 6-1 mixture of gin and vermouth...

Not overly marinated I presume :angel:

I like olives. Mostly plain. Olives right out of the jar is good with me, or in a relish tray, but I have taken to using Kalamata olives in certain dishes. I never acquired a taste for them on my pizza, but I'm not big on veggies on my pizza either.
The only olives I don't eat, which is soley based on appearance, are those large black (?) Italian olives that look like they have been marinating in a bunch of stuff. They may taste fantastic, but they don't appeal to me.

I like them marinated in a 6-1 mixture of gin and vermouth.

When my daughter was 8 or 9, she preferred olives to candy. and would eat every olive in the house, leaving none for the martini. Problem was solved by teaching her how to make a martini, with an olive, and there would always be 2 left in the jar for my nightly martini.

I preferred them to candy too. My dad used to buy large catering jars of olives and I'd eat them by the bowl full :LOL:

Not overly marinated I presume :angel:

I like olives. Mostly plain. Olives right out of the jar is good with me, or in a relish tray, but I have taken to using Kalamata olives in certain dishes. I never acquired a taste for them on my pizza, but I'm not big on veggies on my pizza either.
The only olives I don't eat, which is soley based on appearance, are those large black (?) Italian olives that look like they have been marinating in a bunch of stuff. They may taste fantastic, but they don't appeal to me.

I don't eat Italian Black Olives at all, they taste awful to me. Infact the only olives I will eat that aren't green are Kalamata olives.
When I order pizza take out I add my own olives at home :yum:

I always spell Calamata with a "C" and thought I was wrong because you spell it with a "K". Apparently we're both right. Calamata is just a varient of Kalamata.
Good to know. All the jars in SA say "Calamata"

I always spell Calamata with a "C" and thought I was wrong because you spell it with a "K". Apparently we're both right. Calamata is just a varient of Kalamata.
Good to know. All the jars in SA say "Calamata"

I don't know what my jar says, but I think I usually use a K.
Picatta always gets me because I've seen it spelled with either two T's or two C's :wacko: I'm sure I misspell that work half the time :LOL:

I don't know what my jar says, but I think I usually use a K.
Picatta always gets me because I've seen it spelled with either two T's or two C's :wacko: I'm sure I misspell that work half the time :LOL:

I believe it has 3 spellings! Picatta, Piccata and Pichotta. I can't anderstand why there can't just be one spelling for each word:(
It would make life a lot easier and I hate being wrong :angel: (Shhh, don't tell!)

I like Kalamata olives too. I spell them with a "K" because the place they are from is Kalamata, Greece.

I also like green ones stuffed with pimento. Or stuffed with other stuff as well.

I'm not a fan. I enjoy olive oil but can't stand the fruit in any form. Often referred to in our house at the booger of vegetables. On the other hand, Mrs. 40 C loves the darn things.

i love, love, love olives. gaetas, kalamatas, cerignolas, and giant spanish queens or sicillian greens.

i prefer green to black olives for the ones that come in both.

i could make a meal of a little cheese, bread, olives, and anchovies.

I love Kalamata olives. I have a 3 litre jar in the fridge. :ermm: :pig: I usually buy them at Costco (Kostko?). I also have a large jar of green olives stuffed with pimento.

I like most kinds of olives, even the mild, black ones that come in cans, but I like other types more.

The only olives I have disliked were some from North Africa.

Stirling doesn't care for olives on their own, but he puts them in pasta sauce and likes a small amount on pizza.

It's all good - Tapenade, muffuletta, on pizza w/ mushrooms & onions, in a Greek salad, paella, or most any Mediterranean dish. Tried some Kalamata bread (from the bakery) warm, w/ butter - delish.

Love olives, my favourites are Kalamata and big green Queen olives . I buy the pitted Kalamata ones these days . Good for nibbles marinated in olive oil,,garlic, herbs and Chillie flakes or finely chopped birds eye chillies . I use them too in puttanesca and tapenade and also a lovely Moroccan chicken dish with olives and chickpeas, rice and yellow peppers .

Thank you for the replies guys :) Lots of yummy ideas! I think I'll go buy some more olives tomorrow, they never last long in my house. The kids eat them like peanuts!

Back
Top Bottom