On this Thanksgiving, Scout Law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
My friends, Thanksgiving is upon us. I wanted to wish you all the best.

I am thankful that you are my cooking friends. It has been a true pleasure this year talking with you. I am an Eagle Scout, one thing I try to hold to is the Scout Law.

It has twelve things, hope you will stay with me.

A scout is

Trustworthy, and I hope I am to you. I never say things that are not true.

Loyal, I will and do respond quickly and with useful information

Helpful, I try always be a helpful person to those that are new

Friendly, I try hard to help and assist people I don't know.

Courteous, If I disagree, I remember that we are friends

Kind, If I disagree, I always remember we are in this together, and treat you well.

Obedient, this is the one I have difficulty with. I help my friends, and try to work with authority.

Cheerful, I always try to help my friends, and my enemies feel better about themselves

Thrifty, I don't make waste.

Brave. I fight for people that can't fight for themselves, I, because I have been given more, should do more. It is my responsibility to Do better, be better, and carry.

Clean, we hold to an ideal of cleanliness. I am a bit off on this. I need a better idea of 'clean'

Reverent. I am not nearly reverent. And am sad about it.

That is my Scout Law. My friends that are scouts? I am an Eagle. I in every way, all the time, try hard to be an Eagle scout. I try to live by the Scout Law and the Scout Oath every day.

I haven't heard the law in a while. Congrats on earning Eagle.

I made it to Life scout back in the 70s. I wish I had followed it through another year or two. I quit just after doing Philmont, when I started high school. I shoulda stuck it out.

Nevertheless, Happy Thanksgiving, E-fox.

I haven't heard the law in a while. Congrats on earning Eagle.

I made it to Life scout back in the 70s. I wish I had followed it through another year or two. I quit just after doing Philmont, when I started high school. I shoulda stuck it out.

Nevertheless, Happy Thanksgiving, E-fox.

buckytom, you were very active in your son's scouting activities the last time we heard from you. Is your son still in scouting and are you still active?

Sadly, no. The Cub scout pack went off the deep end, with leaders skimming from the till, and really badly organized events. That made it no fun, so he eventually quit. When it came time to join the BSA, we were busy moving so he never joined up.
He also got more into baseball, and now is really into MMA training.
I really wish he would consider joining in our new town. The Scouts was one of the best things that I ever did in my life.

Thank You, EFox. Something we should all strive for, not for the medals and patches, but to make us better neighbors and friends.

What PF said, Fox. Wishing you and your Beloved Rachel a Thanksgiving filled with good fellowship and food. The same to everyone else here at DC, too.

I was a Girl Scout until 8th grade, so never had the chance to earn a Silver or Gold award. I did, however, earn the Catholic recognition of Marian Award in 7th or 8th grade. I still honor the Promise, but there are a few Rules that I'm a bit wobbly following...

I made it first class. I loved scouting we had great leaders. Tons of camping trips. I can't wait to get my boys involved. I am also a member of the order of the arrow.

They are good rules. I try to make things simple in my life, and Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent is something to aspire to. My thinking is if I can follow the Scout Law, I will come down OK.

Everyone on this board has been nice to me, and in the holidays, I hope your Cooking does its role, and brings you together with your families and friends over a shared meal. I know it is a weird and divisive time to live in. My discussion with all of you gives me hope. We come from many backgrounds, jobs, and perspectives. We all want to put the best food we can on the table for ourselves and those we love.

I don't know or care who your support politically, what you do, or what other opinions you might hold. If you have a great recipe for pie, or a nice trick for doing steak in a cast iron oven. I'm interested.

Always I will treat you with consideration and kindness.

I wish you all well, for the holidays. Lots of cooking opportunities coming up. I hope to learn a lot from all of your posts, and thoughts in this holiday season.

Back
Top Bottom