Online Name Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was asked by a friend to share the origins of my online name. So here's the story. I invite all who feel so inspired to follow with their own name origins.

When I was a young boy, and even into my early 20's, I was scrawny and small. I joined the U.S. Navy wieghing in at 123 lbs. I graduated high-school at a whopping 92 lbs. or so. And when I was younger, I was often the target of bullies, or the kid who always got picked last in neighborhood sporting contests. I wasn't a coward, and my athleticism was actually very good. But I had no self-confidence. I remember several times when I would come home to my Father's house completely dejected and moping about, angry for the way I was often treated by other boys my age. My Dad would stand me in my bedroom doorway and make a mark above my head with a pencil, on the door jam. Then, he'd try his best to be my biggest fan, and to boost my hopes. He'd always say something like this:

"You know Bobby, look at this mark. You've grown a half inch since the last time I measured you. I was skinny too when I was your age, and look at me now, 5'11" tall. Don't worry. One of these days you're gonna sprout up like a bad weed. Why I knew this guy who left school for summer vacation when he was about 16 years old. He was not even your size in the spring. When he came back in the fall, he'd grown a good 8 inches. So don't you worry. You're gonna grow."

Well, I never grew higher than 5' 6" tall. So I never sprouted like a bad weed. I did gain self confidence, and eventually became fairly muscular, and powerful in my own right. Some Judo, and successes out in the world away from the bullies I grew up with helped there. In any case, since I never grew like a bad weed, I must be, yep, you guessed it, Goodweed. And I live in and love the Northern Great Lakes region that I live in. In fact, I've loved all of the Northern places I've lived. My body is much more aclamated to Upper Peninsula Michigan weather than it is to the sweltering heat of Tennesse, or Southern California, two places that I have lived as well. With that in mind, I became Goodweed of the North. Also, I don't really believe there is any such thing as a bad weed, just plants that we don't understand the value of yet.

And that's my story.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

What a great story Goodweed. Your dad sounds like an inspiring man! The origin of my online name in this forum is nothing quite so creative ... merely my first and middle initials with my maiden name. I just returned from the central part of UP, and can tell you that it's milder there than in Green Bay this winter! Enjoy!

Awesome, Bobby. My dad was a Bobby who was a skinny, wiry kid who was strong, too and he didn't grow beyond 5 feet 6-1/2 inches. I don't know how he managed it but he had a lot of friends and all the girls liked him. I think it was because of his athleticism and his ability to jitterbug. ;-).

I am Pie Susan for a few reasons. Primarily it was because I was amused by the cartoon, Weebl and Bob and their love of pie and always saying "MMMM PIE". Secondly, it was because I love to bake and I have taught others how to bake online on another board. I shared my pie primer, too.

My friend, Koshersalty (another Michigander) nicknamed me "Queen of all things Baked".

So, there you have it, I am Pie Susan.

In addition, on another foodie board we use to have a ship and each of us had to have a job on the ship--(eventually the ship was scuttled). Since I was teaching so many people how to bake, I chose all those synonyms for teacher. Those stuck, too.

Last edited:
Cool story, I did wonder what was behind your name actually... Thanks for sharing.

Mine... well, my name is Jen, I live in Ga and I was born in 75 lol... pretty boring.

Back in the days of a greater poverty level than I enjoy today, my BBQ grill consisted of a tiny little portable gas grill; a freebie from work.
It took great planning and inventiveness to cook some things, like a rack of ribs or more than 3 items of just about anything on this tiny grill!
One evening, as I headed out for the yard to do my Grilling Chores, my better half looked at what was on my platter and said "You are a fool if you think all that will fit on the grill..."

A few years later, we moved to Wyoming. Poverty level decreased a little, grill size increased significantly... But the winter weather in Wyoming is a bit less "balmy" shall we say, then it was in NC.
One evening, as I headed for the door with a platter of soon-to-be-grilled food, another comment was made: "It is SNOWING outside, and you are going to GRILL? You fool, you'll freeze!"

So, i AM a GrillingFool.

My name is Rob, and one time a guy from Taiwan (I think) called me Rob san. I added the X to make it unique, and it's been my internet name ever since...

I got Lefty as a nickname growing up because when I played in sports it was considered being a southpaw was a handicap, not many guys chose you for their team, it was hard borrowing a baseball glove since most were rightist... But I turned it into an advantage by picking on their left when playing them, for instance when playing handball against me I would work out their left hand with a vigilance and take full advantage of their weaker side until they noticed and more of them wanted me on their side. The numbers are the first 4 digits of my dogs social security card (j/k) they are just random. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

All hail Lefty, King of the Southpaws :LOL: A friend of mine at work says that to me when he wants to push my buttons. :rolleyes: Its all in good fun. :innocent:

I am an independent computer consultant. My Company is Armadillo Services. I have been self employed in New York City for 20 Years and have 45 years computer experience. Anyway, my office it at 303 Fifth Avenue. I thought that it was pretty cool to have a fifth Avenue address, even though it is an incredibly small office. Adillo is short for Armadillo, also the only domain name that I could get that was close. Hence Adillo303.

There are two other threads on this board on the same subject, but, it is good to have another as we have a lot of new people.

Happy New Year

AC

I love that story GW! My boys were always small too and got bullied a lot. How wonderful of your dad!!

Mine is BORING, I'm a girl, well, maybe not quite "girl" anymore and I'm born and bred in Texas. That's it.

My name takes creativity to the lowest of the low...it's just my name and last initial.

As for Buck, that was his pen name he used in his syndicated humor writing. He wanted to come up with a "manly" name, so his column was entitled Guy Stuff by Buck. It worked well and he wove the name skillfully within his columns. His real name was Joe.

PDS... Hubby's initials...

also Pretty darn se xy wife
Pretty darn sweet wife
pretty darn smart wife
pretty dang stupid wife
pretty darn swell wife
all depending on the mood of the day!

Robo has nothing to do with Rob or Robert. (my name is Joe) I am a person with a disability (pwd); I wear leg braces. When the movie Robocop first came out some of my friends coined the name Roboteach, (I am a teacher) and Robo for short. The 410 was my area code, (it has changed, but not enough to warrant a screan name change.) Obviously I don't mind the nickname.

Mine is pretty obvious - I am Fisher's mom. I had to shorten it because MandolinLoriNeilNicholasSebastianMyles&Fisher's Mom was just too tiring to type!

When I moved out on my own I was 17 years old and very very much alone. I moved to WA with a friend of mine from CA and lived there for several months in an apartment in the woods of washington state and slept on the floor because i couldnt buy a bed. All I could afford to eat was tuna out of cans, peanut butter and jelly, milk and a lot (LOT) of the double chocolate flavored snack pack puddings.

My mother used to include one (always) in my sack lunches when I was in school. I think keeping them in my fridge was my way of staying...i dont know...a kid, or close to home? Ever since then I have always had the double chocolate flavored snack packs in my fridge (yes there's some in there now). And 85 is the year I was born so...there ya have it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom