Our Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so excited about my double ovens. I've never had double ovens before. Ever! :LOL:
Double ovens are nice. Our house came with a double oven but we rarely used both ovens at the same time. Eventually, when time came to replace the unit we replaced it with a microwave top, oven bottom insert. And by doing so it freed up precious counter space where a big microwave oven once sat.

Just moving in, so I don't have pics yet, but here's some from the property manager.

ISxzhd9izgxh7d1000000000.jpg

IS1vs1tekl247d1000000000.jpg

IStoqpa8gdu67d1000000000.jpg

ISliods1c5m97d1000000000.jpg

:D:D:D

Very nice, Kathy Lee! I love all the counter space in the kitchen, and the walkway to the front door...thank you for sharing! :)

Here's my kitchen. Our house was built in 1910 and this part of the house is an addition. We think it was built in the 1930s, based on a piece of newspaper we found behind the closed-off chimney duct in the original kitchen, which is now my office.

The part closest to the rest of the house, including the two large vertical cabinets and the laundry area, was originally a back porch; we found original clapboard siding underneath the old plywood when we removed it to put in new drywall. We put glass shelves in the window alcove in the dining room, which used to be the back window of the house.

Kayelle, I love your refrigerator magnet collection :heart: Trip souvenirs? So are mine. In fact, I ran out of space and filled photo frames with some of them. This in on a shelf in our guestroom.

Attachments

• 2016-08-30 12.19.12.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.19.12.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 2016-08-30 12.21.38.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.21.38.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2016-08-30 12.22.07.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.22.07.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 155
  • 2016-08-30 12.24.06.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.24.06.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 2016-08-30 12.25.10.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.25.10.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 164
  • 2016-08-30 12.25.32.jpg
    2016-08-30 12.25.32.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 2016-08-30 13.09.27.jpg
    2016-08-30 13.09.27.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 2016-08-30 11.37.09.jpg
    2016-08-30 11.37.09.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 2016-08-30 11.38.41.jpg
    2016-08-30 11.38.41.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 2016-08-30 11.39.42.jpg
    2016-08-30 11.39.42.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 2016-04-02 18.15.45.jpg
    2016-04-02 18.15.45.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 159
Oh wow..I'm so loving these pictures!

Kathy Lee, you should have many years of happy memories just starting in that new kitchen of yours.

GG, your kitchen is great! Very well planned, I must say! Yep my fridge also has an abundance of travel magnets and we treasure them from all over the world. We still have some room on the bottom freezer drawer, but we joke when that's filled it will be time to get rid of the suitcases.;)

I love the cabinets by the door in both the dining room and the kitchen. Are they built-ins? I'm also in love with the transom over the door and the fireplace in the dining room. And the decorative trim around the doors. That sure gives those rooms a ton of character!

Last edited:
I love the cabinets by the door in both the dining room and the kitchen. Are they built-ins? I'm also in love with the transom over the door and the fireplace in the dining room. And the decorative trim around the doors. That sure gives those rooms a ton of character!

Thanks, y'all. I :heart: my kitchen.

RR, the cabinets in the kitchen are all built in. We renovated it for the second time in 2007. The cabinet in the dining room is free-standing.

There's a transom over the front door, too. It's pretty common in this neighborhood. Some houses have them over interior doors, too.

We have four fireplaces - actually, two fireplaces (there's one in the same corner in the living room) and, in the bedrooms above the LR and DR, two mantels that had openings to let heat going up the chimney into the rooms. The trim is throughout the house.

Btw, the neighborhood is a designated historic district, one of five in the city.

Very nice kitchens, GG and Kathy Lee!

GG, yours is so nicely organized.

Kathy Lee, I would love to know where your landlord got that leaded glass piece for the window!

GG, I have that same refrigerator! And the same microwave! Yeah, that pretty much ends the comparison between your lovely kitchen and mine. :neutral: The kitchen is so welcoming and cozy. I love the molding and chair rail in the dining room. A window seat, too! :heart: Everything is so neat and organized, I'd swear you have a cleaning lady! ;) ;)

Steve, if you aren't adverse to going to juried craft fairs, those that have a critical selection process and admit only quality hand-crafts, you might be able to pick up a leaded glass piece there. That is where we found a piece for our center (fixed) window in our first house.

GG, I have that same refrigerator! And the same microwave! Yeah, that pretty much ends the comparison between your lovely kitchen and mine. :neutral: The kitchen is so welcoming and cozy. I love the molding and chair rail in the dining room. A window seat, too! :heart: Everything is so neat and organized, I'd swear you have a cleaning lady! ;) ;)

Hee hee! I don't normally have that lovely cleaning service. The company I used with a Groupon once was sold and they called the existing clients offering a deal, so I took it.

You have sharp eyes! You can barely see the window seat. That's what caused DH to fall in love with the house - his favorite movie is Arsenic and Old Lace, where a window seat figures prominently in the plot ;)

...You have sharp eyes! You can barely see the window seat. That's what caused DH to fall in love with the house - his favorite movie is Arsenic and Old Lace, where a window seat figures prominently in the plot ;)
Sharp eyes, sharp hearing. Don't ask about the mind... No matter how good my eyes are, I couldn't tell if those glass shelves in the dining room held a bottle of elderberry wine. ?

When Himself saw the radiators, he wondered if you guys had some sort of A/C. I can't imagine no air with as humid as your summers are.

We have central air downstairs only. There's a crawl space under the house about four feet high, so the installer was able to run the ducts under there. There are not many houses with basements here because the water table is pretty high. We have a window unit upstairs, which works since there's just the two of us.

No elderberry wine (I see what you did there) but there's a bottle of 16-year-old Spanish brandy from a former exchange student :)

This house is in an area that lies about 30 minutes from Minneapolis/St.Paul. It's in what many refer to as a "bedroom community," meaning that most of the residents tend to be younger professional types (not that I'm young or particularly professional) that live here and commute into the Twin Cities for work and play. A little further out than what would normally be considered a suburb.:

I lived for a couple of years in the town of Mahtomedi on Great Bear Lake (or White Bear Lake, can't remember exactly now) back in the mid 50's. When I Googled it a few years ago and discovered it had been absorbed by the Twin Cities I was shocked/dismayed and don't know why I was surprised as ... such is life. So is that area now considered a suburb?

Back
Top Bottom