Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want, I can give you more gory information. Such as the hamster vomiting on the little girls lap as they were returning home. There is other gory stuff I could add, but I thought I would tell an uplifting story. What other gory info would you need.

I guess you don't get it Addie. There's no way I'll believe that a vet told someone to flush a hamster down the toilet. No way.

Addie....some of your posts just floor me.

A hamster isn't a mouse, but it is a member of the rodent family. The most common hamsters that people buy for pets for their kids are the dwarf variety and will not continue growing to the size of a rat. :rolleyes: They will only grow to the size that their species allows them to grow.

As far as the 'story' of the vet recommending that a family pet be flushed down the toilet....:rolleyes: We are pet loving members here on DC, so I have no words about that one.

Last edited:
Aww. Soxy looks sweet. :)

I have a couple of strays in my yard from time to time, but they're hissy and mean. :ermm::LOL: They look plenty well fed though, so I don't worry too much about it. Besides, I don't have any cat food anymore since I lost my little Mr. Blackee Kitty last year.

Okay. I've had several hamsters. My roommate I had one in our college dorm room. Totally against the rules. It got loose from time to time, and everyone in the dorm knew it was ours, and brought it back to us. It was a coed dorm, so it made us a lot of friends. ;)

What probably inflicted the hamster Addie describes is "wet tail." It is a common affliction with hamsters. It kills them, if not treated. And, Pepto Bismol is actually as good a treatment as any for wet tail.

I'm okay with flushing a dead goldfish, but any vet who suggests flushing a living animal down a toilet should be taken behind the nearest structure and beaten.

Every once-in-a-while, I catch a rat in a glue trap in my attic. If it is alive, I "dispatch" it as quickly and painlessly as possible. I don't hate rats. I just don't want them in my house. Live long and prosper... in the wilderness. If you move into my house, and can't pay rent, you gotta' go.

CD

Another hamster story: A little girl had a hamster. It sat in its cage, in one spot. it didn't eat or drink or move away from that one spot for several days. They brought the hamster to the vet. The hamster behaved normally. It was eating and drinking and moving around. The vet asked if anything had happened before the hamster started just sitting in one spot. Yes, the hamster had gotten lost, but they found it under the fridge. Someone looked in the hamster's mouth. They found a fridge magnet. The poor hamster had gotten stuck because of the attraction of the fridge magnet to the metal in the cage. They removed the magnet. End of story.

Taxy.....:ohmy:

My oldest daughter (now 42) was 8 when we had our last hamster. We were watching it run happily on it's wheel when it screeched, flopped around and dropped dead. No more rodents as pets after that. :ermm:

A year ago, D&SIL adopted two feral cats.. Made them house cats..

Both cats, Kenny & Kevin became loving, chubby members of the family..

One of them (Kenny) always tried to get outside and we had to be careful with him..

Yesterday morning, during a heavy rain storm, Kenny got out..
The kids hunted the neighborhood, in the rain, for him.. The rain stopped, the sun came out and the kids hunted for him until dark..

As of midnight he hasn't come home.. We will try to find him today..

Ross

Attachments

• Kenny Cat.jpg
    Kenny Cat.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 58
A year ago, D&SIL adopted two feral cats.. Made them house cats..

Both cats, Kenny & Kevin became loving, chubby members of the family..

One of them (Kenny) always tried to get outside and we had to be careful with him..

Yesterday morning, during a heavy rain storm, Kenny got out..
The kids hunted the neighborhood, in the rain, for him.. The rain stopped, the sun came out and the kids hunted for him until dark..

As of midnight he hasn't come home.. We will try to find him today..

Ross
:(

I went food shopping this morning and when I came home my fat pencil (the ones for children; works well with arthritis) is missing. I have visions of them working up escape blue prints! :angel:

I bet it's hard for your kitties to tuck that pencil behind their ears, msm. :LOL:

...Yesterday morning, during a heavy rain storm, Kenny got out..

As of midnight he hasn't come home.. We will try to find him today...
Aw, Ross, I hope chubby Kenny is found soon. When our kitty would get out, we'd walk around the neighborhood either shaking a bag of lunch meat (Midnight loved lunch meat and could hear the crinkle of a bag from wherever she was in the house) or a can of kitty treats, which always brought LittleBit out of hiding. When Midnight was gone overnight for a couple of nights, we put her litter pan and dish of water in the garage and left the "man door" cracked open so she could get in. It took about three days, but she came home. I hope Kenny comes home, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom