Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those two ladies know that they are in a very safe and happy place. And they know you are a very special person.

I was babysitting Teddy (Spike's Maltese) Monday. Not a good day for me. He knew I was in pain and wouldn't leave my side. Tried to nip at everyone's ankle that came to my apartment, followed me around all day. Tried to lay down for a nap, he jumps up on the bed and snuggled right down at my side with his head on my tummy. I couldn't move without him getting in my way.

I lost my temper with him in the middle of the afternoon. Screamed at him to go lay down, leave me alone, go away, etc. I even gave him a light boot with my slippered foot. I didn't hurt him except for his feelings. He finally settled down on the small rug next to my bed.

Today and even still, I am feeling so guilty for being mean to him. I know he was only doing all this because "he knew." He does the same thing to Pirate and Spike when they are having a bad day.

This feeling of major guilt will dissipate some day. But right now, is the right time to feel it. And I won't forget how I acted towards him. Today, when Spike stopped by for an hour or two, I picked up Teddy and gave him a ride all over the place with him sitting on my lap. I even took him downstairs to get my mail. When I returned to my apartment, I got tons of kisses from him. I know he forgives me, but now I have to forgive myself.

He has always loved to give my leg kisses galore. I have been trying to break him of that because when I am able to get around with my new leg, I don't want to trip over him and hurt him. But he is learning. Now I just have to put an open hand in front of his face and say "No!" Today, we had a great success. I lifted my hand up from my lap and never even had to open it. He stopped instantly without a word from me. He got a special "Bones" treat for that. It was that leg kissing that started and increased as the day wore on, that got me so angry with him.

(Note to self!)
Patience Addie, patience. He was only trying to let you know he understood that you weren't feeling very good. And he always knows how much you love him and your day brightens right up when you see him come through the door.

Thanks for listening!

We have our happy girl back. She's been over the moon:wub:
Animal Control caught her bully and the second bully in command the next day. Sky had the great pleasure of witnessing that cat being hauled out through the house hissing in the cage. I could feel all the stress she's been under lately leave her body.

The next day we had to take Butters in for his final visit with his surgeon.
She couldn't wait to get in the truck. "Can we go already?":LOL:
He's completely healed up. His Dr. was very happy with his work and how well Butters played around his office. When we were finished and went to pay They said "No charge" That would have been close to a $300.00 bill.
The Dr said that the next time he sees Butters it's to be a play day at a fundraiser.:cool:

Munky.

We have our happy girl back. She's been over the moon:wub:
Animal Control caught her bully and the second bully in command the next day. Sky had the great pleasure of witnessing that cat being hauled out through the house hissing in the cage. I could feel all the stress she's been under lately leave her body.

The next day we had to take Butters in for his final visit with his surgeon.
She couldn't wait to get in the truck. "Can we go already?":LOL:
He's completely healed up. His Dr. was very happy with his work and how well Butters played around his office. When we were finished and went to pay They said "No charge" That would have been close to a $300.00 bill.
The Dr said that the next time he sees Butters it's to be a play day at a fundraiser.:cool
:Munky.

I love good news when it is about the health of a pet. I am so glad Butters is all better. Give her a hug from me. There are days when I think I love Teddyboy more than I do my kids. Teddyboy doesn't give me as much trouble as my two boys do some days.

My neighbor came in for a minute or two. Teddyboy was here and started barking at the closet door. I rolled over and opened the door for him. My neighbor was horrified. She thought I was going to close the door on him and lock him in there. Nope. That is his bedroom and he was ready for a nap. I had to take out the bottom drawer from the bureau in there so he would have a place to sleep when we babysit him. He goes right into his bed and I follow to cover him up with his blanket that has pictures of cats on it. Strange dog! But I love him anyway.

Last edited:
Teddyboy refuses to eat only two foods. Mushrooms and dog food. In this house we don't get to eat if Teddyboy is here for the day. :wacko:

Was just experimenting with the new camera, trying high ISO settings, and my best boy got to be the experimentee. Shot at night with just one rather dim table lamp next to me for lighting (no tripod).

For those who might be interested, I used ISO 6400, 1/30 second at f4. Cleaned up a little noise in Lightroom, but I was pleased with the results. Certainly far better than I could have achieved with my older crop sensor body.

i-BfvXMx5-L.jpg

Last edited:
I've mentioned elsewhere that I started an aquaponic indoor herb garden a while back. Intended to raise tilapia or trout but when I realized my system wasn't going to be big enough for that I settled for goldfish. To my surprise, they have become beloved pets. They are very long-lived, maybe 15 years, have distinctive personalities and display something very much like affection. Not like dogs of course but way more than I ever imagined fish were capable of. I feed Sara and Maybelle at least the first bite of every meal by hand so they are pretty comfortable around me. If my hand or arm is in the tank for maintenance they enjoy nibbling my skin and brushing against me sort of like cats.
They have special foods too. Favorites include beet greens and roasted garlic cloves. They enjoy redworms if they are cut up first so I started a worm farm for them last summer. I make their favorite gel fish food every week. It costs way more per pound than anything I buy for myself.
What would a post like this be without pictures?
In the first one below Sara, a yellow and white Ryukin is the larger of the two. Maybelle, an orange Fantail, is now the smaller one.
5TC9hHN.jpg

When I first brought them home 16 months ago, Sara was smaller and all orange. Maybelle was larger with black accents.
biFo91R.jpg

Here they are a year ago, complaining that their dinner is late.
SyHxs1Z.gif

That looks relaxing CWS.
Oh, it is. That week the stable flies were awful, so I had to be covered up. TBear wears his life vest and sits on my "belly." I have to wear water shoes because there are rocks the first 2 feet out and I can't walk across those anymore. Could as a kid. I toss him in the water about 3 feet out when we are coming back to shore and he swims in and waits for me.

We had a horrible thunderstorm last night. TBear and I were in bed asleep. He jumped off the bed and wouldn't stop barking until I let him out of our room and he could check on the Elders and my Dad's poodle.

TBear ready to go out in the boat wearing his life vest and doggles. He is a Papillion.

Attachments

• TBear_ready to watch sunset.gif
    TBear_ready to watch sunset.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 110
Last edited:
TBear ready to go out in the boat wearing his life vest and doggles. He is a Papillion.

I'm not seeing an attached image, but DC tells me there is one. Here's a screenshot of your post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-07 Our pets - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-08-07 Our pets - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom