Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, here' one for all you doggie lovers. Many of you old timers (haha) will remember my difficulties with a shelter dog we adopted a few years ago. Rosebud, with the help of some of you, and the advice of a few local trainers, has become a perfectly lovely pet and we adore her and she us. There's one oddity about her --- she will not fetch. Occasionally, she'll grab one of her toys and bring it to us, but if we toss it she gets this pitiful look, as if she gave us a gift and we threw it away. She likes her toys, and every day or two will walk up to all of them and touch them, touch her crate, and she's happy. It's like she has to reassure herself that her "stuff" is still there. But she won't play with it. Any stuffed toy or anything with a squeak or rattle, she destroys w/I hours, sometimes minutes) to take out the noise-maker. Her not playing isn't a big issue most of the time, but in winter you can tell she's bored, and us walking on ice/snow isn't going to happen. I'm tempted to get her a pull/tug-o-war toy, but am afraid of un-doing the training we went through to overcome her early aggressive tendencies. She could use some more exercise until our temps stay above freezing. Any ideas?
This looks like fun, will give her exercise for her body and mind, and, best of all, can be played indoors. There are other games on the same site.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virt...behavior/teaching-your-dog-play-hide-and-seek

OK, here' one for all you doggie lovers. Many of you old timers (haha) will remember my difficulties with a shelter dog we adopted a few years ago. Rosebud, with the help of some of you, and the advice of a few local trainers, has become a perfectly lovely pet and we adore her and she us. There's one oddity about her --- she will not fetch. Occasionally, she'll grab one of her toys and bring it to us, but if we toss it she gets this pitiful look, as if she gave us a gift and we threw it away. She likes her toys, and every day or two will walk up to all of them and touch them, touch her crate, and she's happy. It's like she has to reassure herself that her "stuff" is still there. But she won't play with it. Any stuffed toy or anything with a squeak or rattle, she destroys w/I hours, sometimes minutes) to take out the noise-maker. Her not playing isn't a big issue most of the time, but in winter you can tell she's bored, and us walking on ice/snow isn't going to happen. I'm tempted to get her a pull/tug-o-war toy, but am afraid of un-doing the training we went through to overcome her early aggressive tendencies. She could use some more exercise until our temps stay above freezing. Any ideas?

Hi Claire!

Will Rosebud take a toy back from you if you hold it out? Maybe just a little tug of war with one of her toys would be helpful. Just lightly shake it and hold out, pull back a little when she tries to take it and shake again then let her have it. May not expend a lot of energy but may pique her interest in a little keep way fun. I sure don't want her to pull you off balance and need a matching titanium hip.

You might try a Kong stuffed with some treats. They're often used to entertain dogs, keeps them occupied for a long time.

This is my Miss Sadie 12 weeks old.
img_1408125_0_29b235de29bdcea87a0dba5e77645d66.jpg

Dawglover, she has a Kong "football" that holds a treat and she just loves it. It's about the only thing that holds up to her chewing. For a 25 pound dog, she really can tear into things. She's never gotten into chewing inappropriate stuff, though, just can destroy most toys in no time flat. Kong is tough enough for her. She's a strange dog (we blame her infancy as a road dog). Loves her crate and takes "time out" there most days, and wants to be there when we go out, actually goes in and lies down when she sees us changing our shoes. She thinks "football" (because of the Kong), "toothbrush" (because of the teeth-cleaning treats) and "medicine" (she gets her twice daily phenobarbital in a little glob of cream cheese) all mean treat. And she's the first dog I've had who love to eat virtually anything and everything (we have to be careful) and ... won't fetch.

Somebeagle found a new bed in my freshly washed, yet to be folded sheets: ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1423881280.452578.jpg

I had a migraine and came home from work and went to lay down. Rob came home and heated up some leftover ham off the table. I come downstairs and see him at the dining room table with Oscar the cat sitting in my chair eating little bits of ham. This seems to be a new development, I've never seen him up in a dining room chair. We usually give him bits of bacon and ham on the floor.

He spoils that cat rotten.

I had a migraine and came home from work and went to lay down. Rob came home and heated up some leftover ham off the table. I come downstairs and see him at the dining room table with Oscar the cat sitting in my chair eating little bits of ham. This seems to be a new development, I've never seen him up in a dining room chair. We usually give him bits of bacon and ham on the floor.

You can't spoil a cat...they are our masters.:cat:

I have a very strict rule here. Beagle is only to get treats/leftovers/etc. put in her food bowl. No feeding from where we're eating, as I don't want her begging. DH rarely follows this rule unless he's under my watchful eye. Husbands are much more difficult to train than dogs are.

Last edited:
Tonight Teddy was eating bean sprouts like it was a piece of raw beef. Strange appetite that dog has. Maybe he thought it was grass, a treat he delves into like it was candy. :angel:

Naughty Beagle. At almost 9, she still thinks she's a puppy. DH left a pair of his favorite beach shoes on the floor, and was surprised when he looked today that there was only one sandal. He tracked the other sandal to Beagle's bed, where he found total destruction. ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1424633329.558542.jpg

Our DD had a cat that would sit at the bar on a bar stool with a bib around his neck and would delicately eat tidbits off his own plate. He also ate green olives, loved them and would go absolutely batty over them, worse than catnip.

Cats spoil US by allowing us to feed them treats, provide them with comfortable places to sleep (usually the chair you want to sit in) and generally worship them.

I used to spoil Teddy all the time. I got him to eat out of my hand. Something he wouldn't do for even Spike. He doesn't even eat if Spike is looking at him. Spike has to leave the room before he will eat. I decided to stop spoiling him. After all, he just a dog, as Spike always reminds me. Unless Spike tells me he didn't have time to feed him, he is not allowed to eat here in my house anymore. That dog sure took a long time to learn that. Sometimes when Spike feeds him at home, he turns his nose up at it. That dog seems to think he is in a doggie restaurant and has his choice from the menu.

Spike goes to the little neighborhood store near his home and buys the ends of their roast beef and they are often really rare. I'd love to have them myself. He feeds them to Teddy. That dang dog will turn his nose up at them and go eat the dry food that has been in his bowl for two weeks. Dust and all. To get him to eat meat, you have to rub it across his nose and then his lips so he can get a taste of what it is. And Spike has the nerve to tell "He is just a dog!" :wub: But I still love that dog. In my eyes, he can do no wrong! :angel:

You can't spoil a cat...they are our masters.:cat:

So true! They rule the earth along with the home.

Teddy has a brass bed of his own. When Spike tells him it is time for him to go in his own bed he jumps down, gets in his brass bed and waits for Spike to put his blanket over him. Try doing that with a cat! They just look at you and do whatever they want to do! :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom