Out of flavour: why tomatoes have lost their taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...of-flavour-why-tomatoes-have-lost-their-taste

An international team of scientists claims finally to have cracked one of the most common consumer conundrums: why don’t tomatoes taste like they used to?

After conducting exhaustive taste tests of 100 tomato varieties and sequencing the genomes of nearly 400 varieties, researchers have found the 13 volatile compounds that give a tomato its inherent flavour.

By comparing traditional tomatoes with their modern descendants, the teams uncovered the properties that have been lost in the quest for improved size, yields and resistance.

This is not news.

I am given a lot of fresh tomatoes grown in the summer by the maintenance folks in the patches on the properties. What a difference in taste. If you store them on your countertop stem side down, they will last much longer and hold onto their flavor. When I buy them at the supermarket, I buy on the vine. A little bit better than the prepackaged ones, but not as good as the fresh ones I get from the gardens outside our door. Never put any tomato in the fridge. The cold kills any flavor right off.

Back
Top Bottom