Patti Smith covers Nirvana! very good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fincher

Senior Cook
okay so I suppose this will only be aplicable to people 40 an younger. I was a huge fan of nirvana and hated most covers, but I love this cover

the entrance of the banjo after the four high notes (two played back to back) is just sublime! I used to hate Banjo music, but after this simple yet elegant performance I'm hooked

Patti Smith is quite a woman, deserves to be up there with the likes of Dylan, Joplin, and Jagger

I love how she adds the little hillbilly high pitched flair to the end of her words. "entertain US" :chef:

here's a link
YouTube - Patti Smith - Smells Like Teen Spirit

I hopelessly addicted to this song. my apologies if you sat through it and didn't enjoy it.

Thanks for this. I think some of us over 40 will be glad to hear from Patti Smith again - an outrageous and wildly talented woman. And this Nirvana is a classic.

okay so I suppose this will only be aplicable to people 40 an younger. I was a huge fan of nirvana and hated most covers, but I love this cover.

Quite an assumption, really! I'm over 40 by more than a little bit and Nirvana is one of my very favorite bands and Patti is one of my favorite artists!!! :mad::LOL:;)

I actually play that Nirvana album here at work. Softly.

Her cover is good, but I really prefer the rock version. Wish she had wailed it.

You can actually understand the words in her version, though.

ooh your about to hit post 1000 Fisher's Mom! congrats!

Yeah its a classic alright! I call it a masterpiece despite opinion otherwise.

Its off her new album 12, All the songs are covers, he even does a cover of Stevie Wonder's song "Pastime Paradise" taking the song back from Coolio who had that wildly successful cover called "gangsta's paradise"

hmm, i personally like the original better. I was way to young when nirvana came out. i was like 4 years old.

you can never be too young for great music. (and as I just learned, you can't be too old either;) ) I love the beatles yet wasn't even born when they were together.

There hasn't been too many good bands since the 90's, all the kids where I work listen to 70's or 80's music.

You are too cool to notice that, Fincher! I just saw it and it made me wonder if this means I won't burn dinner tonight, seeing as I'm an Executive Chef now?

You're right about Nirvana in that I think they pioneered a whole new style of rock that I think people first called grunge but is a lot bigger. Staind came out of this and I love them, too.

you can never be too young for great music. (and as I just learned, you can't be too old either;) ) I love the beatles yet wasn't even born when they were together.

There hasn't been too many good bands since the 90's, all the kids where I work listen to 70's or 80's music.

true. i have over 12GB of hard drive space taken up from nothing but rock. I do not listen to hip hop or rap. Not my flavor of music. i will listen to country and since my friend is on the utah state dance team, he makes me listen to country. I play guitar so i tend to shoot for bands like Van Halen. I do however love classical music and Piano music.
YouTube - BYU Idaho Peter Breinholt Concert Finale
my friend is the piano player in this.

i personally like the original better.

me too, I think it would be impossible to improve on the original. but Patti's version is the first one that came some-what close to transcending the original.

That's cool about your friends band, looks like they had a pretty big crowd.

me too, I think it would be impossible to improve on the original. but Patti's version is the first one that came some-what close to transcending the original.

That's cool about your friends band, looks like they had a pretty big crowd.

Thanx, yeah he is pretty good. i have all of his solo cd's if you want i could email a couple of songs to you. But i do not know if you like piano music.

yeah I used to play piano!

I was very young though, one of the first real songs I learned to play was "suicide is painless" the theme song from MASH. I used to love watching the show start on tv, I loved the song and opening credits. (helicopters, ambulances and nurses and docs running around) but once it got to the show I lost interest, I didn't really know what was going on., all I knew was that it was all talk! when I started piano I told my teacher I wanted to learn to play that song from the show MASH. She was a fan of the show and asked if I was too. I said heck no, I don't watch those old rerun shows! lol.. years later I would turn into a fan (after watching reruns on the hallmark channel)

so yeah I like piano music! so email away!
speaking of piano music Tori Amos has a piano version of Smells like teen spirit

YouTube - Tori Amos - Smells like teen spirit

Patty Smith is amazing and always has been. I have found something profound as I have grown into my early 50's. I used to think that the music I listend to was valid, and the stuff that my younger sisters listened to was garbage, and not worth my time. I was into legendary bands like Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Deep Purple, Three Dog Night (and yes they did far more than pop), and most of the hair-scare bands. I was hooked on Alice Cooper as well. My little sister was into J Giels band, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, and others.

To thin that I pooh poohed them. Now they are some of my most loved bands. And the bans like Def Leapord, Poison, and the early 80's hair bands were not my style either, at first. But like Bad Company, and Pink Floyd, those bands became something more than they appeared to be on the surface. Their was talent in the composition, greatness in the guitars, a fresh sound for the time. Nirvana, STP, Queensryche, Rage Against the Machine, Metalica, Pearl Jam, and Alice In Chains, were phenominal in the 90's. Tool has a sound unlike anything since the polyphonic rythims of yes and ELP. Effervesance is amazing.

You come to appreciate more than just the sound. You begin to analyse and recognize the compositional quality, the artistry in the music, not just the technical ability. Age has a way of altering your perspective on things. You look deeper, appreciate the little nuances of the music, the delivery, not just the energy and decibles.

I didn't used to like classical music, and hated operal. Then I began to really listen, and was blown away. The same thing is true of the great blues artists. I disliked Stevie Ray Vaughn, until I watched him on TV, and really listened to what he was doing. And then I was amazed.

To all who say that other music forms are nothing, listen to what Fincher said when he opened this thread. Open you minds to things like phenominal drums, impossible guitar licks, and the energy and sincerity of artists like Patty Smith, Kirk Kobain, Kieth Emerson, etc. Your life will be enriched, as mine has been.

Still can't wrap my mind around a lot of hip-hop, wrap, avant-gaurd jazz, country, or opera yet. But I'm working on it. Now that guy that does the amazing piano jazz on the Peanuts cartoons, I could listen to him all day.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

nice post! thanks for the enlightenment, you deserve karma points for that one!

good point about the "valid" music versus "garbage" I went through that stage too. I even dumped a poor girl back in the early 90's because she didn't get my "progressive" music (this was before the Nirvana scene) she was into stupid hairbands ( I thought at the time)

Sometimes I wish I could go back and kick my own butt, oh well I'm probably doing things and saying things now that I'll want to come back and kick my butt for later. thats the joy of growing up.

OMG i love steve ray vahn. He does a dang good cover of a jimi hendrix song. I wanna say it was vodo child but im not to sure.

Don't hate me... but I got to about 1:20 and had to turn it off. I checked out the Tori Amos one cause she's amazing, had to see what she could do with it. Same thing, had to cut it off.

Patti Smith gave a live concert in Athens this summer.Of course I attended the show and it left us all breathless!!! She's an incredible show woman, her voice was still strong and her musicians amazing!!!!She sang alot of her own music but also of other groups. She brought me back to back when..........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom