People who eat chili peppers may live longer — here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peo...pers-may-live-longer-heres-why-181248452.html

From link:

People who eat chili peppers may be less likely to die from heart disease or cancer and may live longer than those who don’t eat them, according to new research that will be presented at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2020 on Tuesday, November 17.

Previous research has found that chili peppers can have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anticancer and blood-glucose regulating effects due to capsaicin, the main chemical compound in chili peppers that gives the food its spiciness. But this particular research analyzed more than 4,729 studies from five leading global health databases, which led to some major conclusions.

So Eat your chili peppers:chef::chef:

I knew they had some health benefits. Now, I'm interested hearing what they have to say at the heart conference.

I always like it when I see another one of these pepper studies! I've never seen a bad one, and this is the largest study I've seen yet. And there isn't a day that goes by that there isn't at least one hot dish in my diet, and usually more.

It's important to remember that correlation does not equal causation. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from eating peppers - just cautioning people not to read too much into this.

Also from the link:

"But before you run out and buy up all the chili peppers you can find, know this: While there’s a link between eating chili peppers and a lower risk of heart disease and cancer, it’s not proven that having the spicy foods actually lowers risk. Meaning, it’s possible that something else entirely could be behind the lowered risk.

"Another caveat to keep in mind, per Xu: The amount and type of chili pepper individuals consumed varied, making it difficult for researchers to say exactly how much, how often and what type of chili pepper you’d need to get to reap the benefits. “Scientifically, if you really wanted to answer the question of which type, what amount, and frequency, a randomized control trial would be needed to answer that question,” he says.

"At this point, Alan says, “it's unclear whether it's actually the chili peppers or whether it's an overall diet effect.” That said, chili peppers do have some known perks. “Chili peppers have been shown to produce satiety and they have also shown to boost metabolism,” she says. “It is safe to say that there might be a benefit, although it's unclear how much or what type of chilis to eat.”

You mean there are people who don't eat any of those type peppers?

In my lifetime, I've never met one. 70 years, and never met one person that claimed they never eat any kind of chili peppers.

Of course, I haven't lived in every state and only 4-5 different countries so I suppose I should remember that Absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence.

Back
Top Bottom