Performance today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyogal

Head Chef
I am getting a bit nervous, I have my first solo guitar/singing show today. I have performed extensively on the violin/viola, as that is my major instrument(s). I'm not a great guitar player, actually not really even good. I have collected a selection of folk songs that I am presenting, asking folks to sing along, as it is the shared group experience that I am seeking. I perform with my husband as a duo, playing weddings, cocktail parties, Christmas parties, retirements, etc. We cover stuff from Gershwin to Pink Floyd... but, this is my first solo gig, using a PA, singing and accompanying myself on guitar. I played at a nursing home for about a year, learning these songs. But, they are a kind audience, for the most part!
I could just puke right about now.

Oh I know that feeling well. Not that it helps at this point but really, whats the worst thing that could happen? If you mess up you are professional enough to cover it, no one will likely even notice. You'll be fine. I don't know about you, but for me, the second I stepped out on stage all those jitters just disappeared.

Oh, and if you need to barf, do it now. You'll feel better for it.

too late, just had a bowl of cornflakes, that's really horrible to barf...
Yeah, I know, it's an informal, bring your lunch, at the art museum crowd, who I know, so it won't be all that bad. This is just a little outside my "box" in some ways, in others, it's perfectly natural. I know that I do have a way of connecting with my audience, so that helps.

My girls and I all have different ways of dealing with the pre performance jitters. My one daughter is giddy and giggles til she hits the stage, then is fine. My other one is fine til about 2 minutes before she hits the stage then she gets really really quiet and sort of shakes. I get that nauseated feeling and can't decide if I should throw up or not. I generally don't, thank goodness.

Is it worse because this is something you haven't done before? I can't imagine you would be this nervous if you were playing violin in front of them.

Edit: cornflakes...eewwww! that WOULD be nasty

yep, something new. People in the community know me as a musician, a classical violinist (unless they've been to a gig). I play guitar with my husband when we perform (as well as violin), but he's such a great guitar player that it doesn't really matter what I do other than strum chords. I just hope people get the concept of the shared experience... as opposed to coming out and hearing great guitar playing. Everyone in our family plays and performs, and are quite good, all different genres, with crossover with rock n roll, old-time/bluegrass. In fact, I'd like to record a heavy metal hoe-down album with the fam. turn up the distortion....

It went really well, not a big crowd, but they liked it! I was really comfortable, and it was fun!

Double YAY! You stepped out of your comfort zone and it worked out great! Sounds like a repeat performance on the horizon!

Thanks! I want to do an evening performance, with my husband playing mandolin.

Back
Top Bottom