Pet a dog or cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I will only pet one, and have been hesitating for weeks. I have never petted anything before. My personal preference is cat because I have really seen some cats that look super cute but I think dog is more friendly to human and my friend said dog will recognize their owner but not a cat... From the appearance, I have preference for cat but from their living habit, I think I like a dog more. It is because I am really scared that a cat will usually jump up and down throughout my home but a dog usually won't.

I cannot decide.. but what I can decide is that I will not pet both at the same time because I don't have enough space, resources and knowledge for two.

What do you think?

Kenny, are you saying you want to get a pet(noun)? Or you want to "pet" (verb) either a cat or dog.

I think you're asking for advise on which to get, a cat or a dog. Right? There are so many answers to that. You are about to be deluged with answers just about now! LOL

Kenny, are you saying you want to get a pet(noun)? Or you want to "pet" (verb) either a cat or dog.

I think you're asking for advise on which to get, a cat or a dog. Right? There are so many answers to that. You are about to be deluged with answers just about now! LOL

I didn't use pet as a noun.

I am looking for advice on whether to pet a cat or dog

This is a question that can spark a lot of debate. There are “cat” people and “dog” people. They all have strong opinions.

The correct choice is to go with a dog. They’re much better than cats. [emoji6]

I will only pet one, and have been hesitating for weeks. I have never petted anything before. My personal preference is cat because I have really seen some cats that look super cute but I think dog is more friendly to human and my friend said dog will recognize their owner but not a cat... From the appearance, I have preference for cat but from their living habit, I think I like a dog more. It is because I am really scared that a cat will usually jump up and down throughout my home but a dog usually won't.

I cannot decide.. but what I can decide is that I will not pet both at the same time because I don't have enough space, resources and knowledge for two.

What do you think?

"I will only pet one" are you trying to get over an aversion to cats or dogs?

"It is because I am really scared that a cat will usually jump up and down throughout my home but a dog usually won't." is the only way you can pet a cat or dog in your home?

"I will not pet both at the same time because I don't have enough space, resources and knowledge for two." not sure why you need either space, resources or knowledge to be able to pet these animals?

kenny, I have had dogs all my life and cats maybe not all but certainly most of my life. You cannot compare. They are different.

And I'm afraid your friend is wrong. A cat will recognize its owner. But it won't wag its tail hello! Some will want to sit in your lap as soon as you sit down, and some won't. Some like to sit in your lap and not be touched, others don't want you to stop petting them.

Some dogs (most) will love everybody! And some will hide from everyone but its owner, some will ignore everyone, some will be a bit on the nasty side.

But most, not all, of all that, is in how the owner raises the dog.

I am probably wrong, but it seems like you are saying you can't decide whether to pick a dog or a cat for a pet. So that you can pet it. Pet means to stroke the fur or belly or neck.
You don't need to own a cat or dog to pet one, you can pet one at a friend's house or at a pet store or at a dog park (if there are dog parks there).

I like both cats and dogs for pets. I've had cats, and my husband has had dogs, as many as 5 dogs at a time here. They were small, as small as cats. I like them all.

This is a question that can spark a lot of debate. There are “cat” people and “dog” people. They all have strong opinions.

The correct choice is to go with a dog. They’re much better than cats. [emoji6]

I have to agree with Andy.

That said, I think there are those that don't want or need either in their life. There are people that prefer birds or fish. Not that one handles birds or fish much, or at least not like one might do with cats or dogs. I don't know if they have "animal shelters" or something similar in your part of the world? But, check that out.

Short of that, I would look at other options. I'm still unsure if you just want to touch one or are considering bringing one into your home. Either way, one needs to be able to commit to many years of care and expense, if you are thinking about bringing one into your home and life.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you have never had a pet cat or pet dog before, it would probably be a good idea to foster one. I don't know if the animal shelters / rescues where you live need people to foster cats and dogs. It would give you a chance to find out if you like living with a dog or cat without having a long term commitment. If you aren't sure what I mean by "fostering", let us know and I or someone else will explain.

taxy, sorry but I don't think kenny would qualify for fostering. Usually animals that are fostered are to ensure (as much as possible) that the animal IS adoptable and/or help the animal over an issue before it can become adoptable.

LOL, kenny, you've not responded for awhile! Have we pounced and barked at you too much? :LOL:

Truthfully, you must have some friends who have cats and/or dogs. Why don't you go there to visit and see how you feel about them?

Back
Top Bottom