Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I for one do think it is funny - in its perspective. Some parents will take advantage of their kids. Calling of names or some other trick is a sure way to find out. Are you going to tell them they are liars? or are you going to find out the truth if they don't want to or can't admit it.

Talking about them quietly is also not bad, he didn't say they were making fun of them!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is funny.

Hey, I know I'm going to get there someday, if I live long enough. So yes, I think it is funny, and it will be funny when I have hearing aids. If my family and friends talk softly, and I catch them, I'm going to give them an earful.. with a smile and a chuckle.

BTW, my parents are MY parents, and they would find it funny. They can still laugh at themselves. I hope I never lose that ability.

CD

Well, I for one do think it is funny - in its perspective. Some parents will take advantage of their kids. Calling of names or some other trick is a sure way to find out. Are you going to tell them they are liars? or are you going to find out the truth if they don't want to or can't admit it.

Talking about them quietly is also not bad, he didn't say they were making fun of them!

Well, I wouldn't actually insult my parents to find out if they can hear me -- I already know that their hearing sucks. They do, too. That was a joke, that some people didn't like. I'm okay with that, too.

My sister and I do talk about my parents when they don't hear us. They are in their 80s, and mom can barely walk, and dad is going to have to give up driving at some point in the not too distant future. That's important stuff.

Yes, we do talk softly at times, so they don't hear us. And, sometimes what we say is funny. They say funny things about each other. If my mom says, "he can't hear," my response is along the lines of, "neither can you." She would give me the hairy eyeball, but inside, she would be laughing, because she knows it is true.

CD

My great aunt lived with us in the late 1950's until 1969. She wore a hearing aid, the kind that looked like a transistor radio with an earplug snaking right up her chest and into her ear. When she didn't want to talk with us, she would pull the hearing aid out to the outside of her clothing (usually a house dress), purposefully turn the knob to "Off", and grin evilly when she would turn back to the TV. :LOL:

My daughter (a Registered Massage Therapist) wears hearing aids. In response to a clients question on if a certain proceedure is painful always replies - " I don't know - I turn my hearing aids off."

My late father thought it was pretty funny and would tell everyone about the time when he first started wearing hearing aids - I sat down to chat with him and just mouthed words with no sound - he immediately took out his aid to adjust, put it back and then I talked normally. He loved it!

I should just buy my brother a $700+ state of the art hearing aid and see if he likes it.
Why not? They probably have a return policy. Do health insurance companies cover costs like this? He has a decent one.

Last edited:
My great aunt lived with us in the late 1950's until 1969. She wore a hearing aid, the kind that looked like a transistor radio with an earplug snaking right up her chest and into her ear. When she didn't want to talk with us, she would pull the hearing aid out to the outside of her clothing (usually a house dress), purposefully turn the knob to "Off", and grin evilly when she would turn back to the TV. :LOL:
:LOL: I had a great aunt with one of those. If she moved suddenly the hearing aid would let out a deafening shriek.

Last edited:
I should just buy my brother a $700+ state of the art hearing aid and see if he likes it.
Why not? They probably have a return policy. Do health insurance companies cover costs like this? He has a decent one.

It all depends on what insurance he has. When Mom got hers, her Medicare didn't cover them but her secondary insurance (Mail Handlers Benefit Plans) paid for up to $1000 per ear. It also helped that I have a cousin who is an audiologist and the Dr's in her office agreed to accept just what insurance covered for them. Your experience will probably be a lot different.

Thankfully, I don't need hearing aids but the man I love wears them so I guess I'm pretty thin skinned about "funny" hearing aid stories. Being hard of hearing is a serious disability that should be respected as such, but that's just my 2 cents.

My dad is HOH in both ears and never had hearing aids. He's 94, refuses to get them, says he hears fine, but says "huh?" dozens of times each day, and watches TV with the volume set at 75. He doesn't want to feel and look "old". In fact, until recently he used to dye his gray hair. All this is fine with me as long as he stays safe.

I suppose it's a vanity thing, not wanting to stick something in your ear when you can make others around you speak up louder and repeat themselves. I'm starting to get annoyed having to do that.

Last edited:
I'm losing my hearing. I think it's a little bit, others' opinions may vary.

Generally, in a room with no competing noises I can easily carry on a conversation. However, in a room with the TV or radio playing, I have to mute that sound and ask for a repeat.

My 82 YO sister just got 2 hearing aids and her family is pleased. I never noticed she was having issues. I guess they're more sensitive to it.

I suppose it's a vanity thing, not wanting to stick something in your ear when you can make others around you speak up louder and repeat themselves. I'm starting to get annoyed having to do that.

I already have to ask people to repeat themselves, if there is any background noise. I know I'm going to need hearing aids at some point... as I said, if I am lucky enough to live that long.

It is certainly going to be annoying, but I can think a whole lot worse disabilities.

CD

Not sure if we talked about this before, but is has been under my skin lately.

When did sheets and blankets get shorter AND skinnier ?

I made our bed today with fresh sheets and they BARELY went over the King sized mattress that we have, let alone tucked in at the foot of the bed!

And don't get me started about the blankets too, they won't tuck in either and they're forever coming off the bed and going everywhere.

I remember as a kid being tucked in...everything would go under the mattress and you could hardly get out in the morning :LOL:

I magic marked the top of my bottom sheet with a little UP arrow. "This side up". "This side goes up and at the top of the mattress". That helps me fit the bottom sheet onto my mattress. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited:
I magic marked the top of my bottom sheet with a little UP arrow. "This side up". "This side goes up and at the top of the mattress". That helps me fit the bottom sheet onto my mattress. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a clue.
LOL. That can be frustrating...
We, recently set up 2 bedrooms... All the sets of sheets we bought have a "Top or Bottom" label on the fitted bottom sheets.. Sure makes it easier to make the beds..

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom