Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me preface my statement, which may or may not be lengthy, by saying I LOVE HAWAII, I love coming home to where is was born, raised and spent the largest chunk of my life.

Okay, here I go…

We have been renting this condo in Honolulu for the last five years and it is spectacular! Great price, fantastic location, reasonably priced, free parking in a secured building, 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 700+ square feet end unit, large lanai that overlooks Diamond Head and Queen’s Beach from the twin La-Z-Boy recliners, walking distance to Waikiki, easy access out of town to anywhere on the Island (Oahu) that we want to go, everything that we need is within 2 miles…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTKtZtbXTA&list=UUmpkgLqI1q8UAGWZc61a7hQ&index=29

I really shouldn’t complain … but I must!

When we arrived this year to the apartment, it had not been cleaned very well, I had to dust AND vacuum! :glare:
The dishes in the cupboard were NOT CLEAN, AGH! I ran all of the dishes, glasses, coffee mugs, EVERYTHING through the dishwasher on sanitize. :ohmy:
I then felt that the bathroom probably hadn’t been cleaned well either, and I was right!
I stripped the bed and washed the sheets and the bath towels before we used any of them.

Each year that we stay here, I bring all sorts of cooking extras such as spices, herbs and other ingredients to use and I leave some in the pantry for the next occupants. Usually, they are replaced, but not on this visit.

In a vacation rental, which this is, if you use something up, you buy more for the next guest, that’s the way it works. This year, I found very little to NO basic supplies, such as TP, Paper Towels, Shampoo, Bath Soap, Dish Soap, Sponges, Laundry Soap … I’ll stop there, but you get the idea.

We owned a Vacation Rental for many years and at the beginning we supplied ALL of the start-up basics and it was a common courtesy to leave in-kind what you used… not here as of late!

I’m very, very disappointed in the decline of this property and I wanted to tell the property manager, but my husband feels that I shouldn’t.

I’ve already started to look for another rental in a different part of the Island, but unfortunately the County has proposed a new tax on vacation rentals that could easily push out many of the affordable places available today.

Last edited:
That is certainly a valid vent! Kgirl that really is bad.

But I don't agree that you should not say anything. Two reasons.

It could have just been a bad previous renter in so far as the supplies are concerned. Some people just assume that they've "paid" for all those necessities and take them.

and/or

perhaps the company that rents out hired a new cleaning service whose standards are not up to previous.
Although I find it hard to believe that they didn't/don't check on who they hire.

or the rental property has new owners/management who just don't know.

I say give them the benefit of the doubt. Tell them and give them a chance to redeem/explain themselves. (of course don't stop looking anew either)

I'm sorry your arrival was so spoiled and hope you had a good 'rest of your vacation' despite the nasty greeting.

Sorry to hear that you had to clean house before you could relax, K-Girl. PF has it right - if you don't tell the management company there was a problem, they won't know there was a problem. It sounds like you're still figuring on returning to the same place next year. If you do, I would head to the management office right after unlocking the unit's door and finding a mess, if that is the case.

...In a vacation rental, which this is, if you use something up, you buy more for the next guest, that’s the way it works. This year, I found very little to NO basic supplies, such as TP, Paper Towels, Shampoo, Bath Soap, Dish Soap, Sponges, Laundry Soap … I’ll stop there, but you get the idea...
Over the past two decades, we've stayed at numerous timeshares. I suppose that would be the same as a "vacation rental"? The norm among every single one has been that the resort management has supplied a small "starter" amount of basics: dish detergent for sink and machine, paper towels, TP, filters for their particular coffee maker. Maybe salt and pepper, but never sugar - ant issues. :erm: But we've never found any other supply of what we would consider basics. Maybe you've just been lucky all of these years. ;)

If they don't know, Auntie Doni, they can't fix it.

+1

You can let the management know in a civil manner. You don't have to make it a "rant."

Management may not be able to do anything about renters not replacing what they use, but cleanliness is id definitely within their control, and it is their responsibility.

CD

All of the above, TRUE! I will …

and did I say I'm exhausted?
Trying to get back from Hawaii to Arizona
was grueling; now trying to adjust to the
elevation difference AND trying to get
the household in order, laundry, grocery shopping …
I'm getting too old for this s#!| … :stuart: I HATE to fly
any more. We mostly take road trips and that's a blast!
But, did I say that I'm exhausted?

Two gripes; Someone stole my 20 year old bdy and replaced it with this faulty 63 year old body. 2nd gripe' no one seems to have tasted, or heard of my favorite brand of hot dog, which I think tastes better, and has a better texture out of the many hot dogs I've tasted - Cher-Make, out of Wisconsin. These even beat out Volworths, and Koegles, all with natural casings. There used to be a meat market in Pickford, MI where they made their own hod dogs. These were more like a Kielbasa in texture. Sadly, the owner retired. They were the best. Now that we have a store, where the deli section sells Mortadella, I can't eat the stuff (no sausages, heavy, heavy sigh). I wan't my 20 year old body back! Whoever took it, I want it back. It was an amazing, and powerful thing.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm REALLY P.O.'d

:mad:

My husband is still recovering from surgery 2 days ago.
I had turned off both of our phones, so as not to
disturb him... he's having a difficult time sleeping.
I also hid his phone so that he wouldn't even
think about it ;)

Here's the rub:
We have a Mentally Challenged grand-nephew who is now 18
years old and thinks that he can do whatever he wants to,
which includes calling Uncle EVERY DAY!!
I told him that Uncle is having surgery, his parents know this as well,
so how do I tell them or the boy STOP!!! Leave Uncle alone for
crying in the beer!!! :censored: He's such a PITA!!!

My first mistake was I gave Mr. K~Girl his phone early today
so that he could at least see who had wished him well,
but I forgot to commandeer it and turn it back off.
He agreed that it wasn't a good idea to talk or text with
anyone right yet, the pain meds make him a bit loopy :LOL:
He FINALLY fell asleep maybe an hour ago,
and what do you think happened?
YUP!
Grand-nephew calls: "I want to tell you about my day..."
:mad: (you know I'd love to use some profanity, but I won't)

I was talking to my Mother to update her after DH's surgery and she
told me to talk to the boy's Mother and let her know that
Uncle is not taking calls at this time, but he's
so dang stubborn, he doesn't listen to ANYONE!!
I'm not really sure how to tell her nicely, to control her son.
:mad:
DANG IT!!!

GREAT! Now DH is wide awake, asking for his phone again.
I loving told him that we don't need any aggravation right now,
so it's put away. My phone is on, if someone really needs us
for something, and that's the number that the doctor has,
SO …
:mad: GRRRR!!!

Have you considered blocking nephew's phone number on DH's and your phone?

I have a few folks blocked on my phone including my grandson's wife. Real nasty personality. I hate talking to her. And so does the rest of the family.

Two gripes; Someone stole my 20 year old bdy and replaced it with this faulty 63 year old body. 2nd gripe' no one seems to have tasted, or heard of my favorite brand of hot dog, which I think tastes better, and has a better texture out of the many hot dogs I've tasted - Cher-Make, out of Wisconsin. These even beat out Volworths, and Koegles, all with natural casings. There used to be a meat market in Pickford, MI where they made their own hod dogs. These were more like a Kielbasa in texture. Sadly, the owner retired. They were the best. Now that we have a store, where the deli section sells Mortadella, I can't eat the stuff (no sausages, heavy, heavy sigh). I wan't my 20 year old body back! Whoever took it, I want it back. It was an amazing, and powerful thing.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I was 28, I could eat five pounds of food, and not gain a single pound of bodyweight. When I was 18, I actually tried to gain weight, and couldn't.

At 58, I can smell good food and gain two pounds. :LOL:

CD

Have you considered blocking nephew's phone number on DH's and your phone?

I have a few folks blocked on my phone including my grandson's wife. Real nasty personality. I hate talking to her. And so does the rest of the family.

Ya'know Addie, we have but DH is such a sweet soul,
he said that no one else in the family will deal with him
because he's such a PITA.
He's very difficult, stubborn …
He's Autistic, he has Asperger's Disorder, but no one will
say the words, other than
his teachers (yes, he still goes to public school) and his
doctors.
His Mother thinks he's going to College … he can't read!!!! :mellow:
I'm sure that I've vented about him before.
His level of development is only 7 years of ago.
So there's that …
I'm just so frustrated right this minute!!!
Thanks for listening Addie.

K-Girl, that sounds like such a tough situation. Your DH is an angel for listening to Nephew. Big (((hugs))) to both of you. :huh: Well, you hang on to the one for DH until his arm is healed.

When I was 28, I could eat five pounds of food, and not gain a single pound of bodyweight. When I was 18, I actually tried to gain weight, and couldn't.

CD
When I was little kid, I was so skinny that the doctor suggested Mom give me Troph-Iron to stimulate my appetite. :glare: Got so chubby I cried whenever I went shopping for clothes until about high school age. Then, with as busy as I was in high school and beyond, I got thin again. Ate like I had a hollow leg. Mom always told me it would catch up with me. Like I'd get out of bed one day and wonder where those extra 10 or 20 pounds came from. Mom was a fortune teller. Now if she could only have picked Lottery numbers with as much accuracy. :LOL:

Ya'know Addie, we have but DH is such a sweet soul,
he said that no one else in the family will deal with him
because he's such a PITA.
He's very difficult, stubborn …
He's Autistic, he has Asperger's Disorder, but no one will
say the words, other than
his teachers (yes, he still goes to public school) and his
doctors.
His Mother thinks he's going to College … he can't read!!!! :mellow:
I'm sure that I've vented about him before.
His level of development is only 7 years of ago.
So there's that …
I'm just so frustrated right this minute!!!
Thanks for listening Addie.

Glad to be here when you needed someone to listen. Like I said we have one in this family. Now I don't have the greatest family in the world. But my grandson's wife seems to have forgotten where she started out. She deliberately got pregnant at 16 so my grandson would rescue her and she could get out of one of the worst projects in Boston. And God Bless him he did exactly that. He had just graduated from H.S. and the next day he married her without any of his family there. That was her idea. And then now that his father-in-law has died, she just couldn't be nastier. Scott was the only one who would stand up to her. I have just kept my mouth shut over the years and never associate with her.

There always seems to one in every family.

CD

Be careful what you wish for. I went from 168 pounds to 69 pounds when I had my leg amputated. Now I am trying so hard to get back up to at least 100 pounds. And I have to force myself to eat. I did manage to make it to 79 pounds. Then with losing Scott, I swear he took my appetite with him. I am now back down to 71 pounds. I have to force myself to eat. Then when I do, I have to make sure I don't toss it. An ongoing constant battle with food.

Businesses that don't run like businesses

Himself's back has been cranky for a couple of months. My knees and ankles have been problems for years. Add in my paranoia of ticks...well, the yard looks very neglected. This is the year it is getting fixed. Except that it has been near impossible getting a response from a business! I've sent emails, or contacted a business through their contact form on their site. One business responded immediately the day after I sent my inquiry, in the wee hours of the night, of course. :LOL: A second business responded two days later, with an apology from the wife for missing the email when it first came in. Too bad her husband isn't as professional, since he promised an estimate when he left after he had been here, then promised it again when I called and emailed his business. Still no bid.

Long story short: about a dozen emails sent, two people out to assess our mess, and one bid received. Thankfully, he was my second choice when we had regrading done in our yard to alleviate water leaking into the basement. The guy I hired for the regrade had more experience with that type of work, along with building stone walls (had that done, too), and laying patios (ditto). For pure landscaping, though, I think Jim will do a great job.

Honestly, though, if a business doesn't want to respond to contacts through their website, they should just shut the danged things down. :glare:

Back
Top Bottom