Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always had a block of lard or shortening in the cupboard and have always used either a piece of the parchment paper from the wrappings or wax paper. I don't throw it out, keep it in the box for the next use. It becomes better with use, almost like a piece of cloth. I do throw it out only when I start to get more on my fingers than the pan. :LOL: I don't think I would call that being wasteful.

I do have sprays but don't use them for baking. Did when sprays first came out but for some reason didn't care for it. Don't really think I can say why, just don't.
Mostly use sprays for roasting pans and their racks. Also for frying pans, quick coat then whatever type of oil the recipe calls for. Less sticking and easier clean up.

I only use butter for certain bakes such as Madelaines. Most of our butters, here come in foil wraps now. There are probably some still with paper but I haven't come across them. Because of the shape of the Madelaine pans I get a much faster, neater and better coverage to use my fingers.

I never thought of reusing that paper.

I've always had a block of lard or shortening in the cupboard and have always used either a piece of the parchment paper from the wrappings or wax paper. I don't throw it out, keep it in the box for the next use. It becomes better with use, almost like a piece of cloth. I do throw it out only when I start to get more on my fingers than the pan. :LOL: I don't think I would call that being wasteful.

I do have sprays but don't use them for baking. Did when sprays first came out but for some reason didn't care for it. Don't really think I can say why, just don't.
Mostly use sprays for roasting pans and their racks. Also for frying pans, quick coat then whatever type of oil the recipe calls for. Less sticking and easier clean up.

I only use butter for certain bakes such as Madelaines. Most of our butters, here come in foil wraps now. There are probably some still with paper but I haven't come across them. Because of the shape of the Madelaine pans I get a much faster, neater and better coverage to use my fingers.

I know why I don't like sprays...that oil gets all over everything, even though you can't see it. My very smart and talented Sous Chef takes the roasting pans (I hardly bake) out on the porch to spray them. BRILLIANT

For now, I'm done saying how great he is lest his swollen head blows up.:ermm::ohmy::blink::w00t2:

Last edited:
I still save all of the paper wrappers from the sticks of Butter in a zip bag for lubing up pans. Butter makes everything better! :LOL:
I only use Baker's Joy spray, the one with the Flour in the oil AND I learned a trick for better usage of said spray...
1) wait to spray until your ready to pour/place the batter/bread what have you into the pan and straight into the oven.
2) I use said spray into the pan while holding it over the sink

Our AC just conked out. It made a horrible noise. This is a terrible time for that to happen. We are starting a heat wave. It's 35°C (95°F) and feels like 41°C (106°F).

Taxy, find a swimming hole with a dock. Go out and take off your shoes, and dangle your feet in the cool water. That will cool you off. In the home, until you get a new air conditioner, make a homemade swamp cooler, Simply drape a wet towel over your fan and let evaporation cool the blowing air. The foot dangle in water trick worked for me..Of course the water was never warmer than 63' F. It came from Lake Superior, through the Saint Mary's River, past our our house on its way to Lake Huron. Of course as a child, we'd be swimming in it the first part of June, when the water reached the balmy temp of about 58' F. I remember bubble gum going rock-hard in my mouth after diving in:ohmy:, and getting a headache, and mom making us get out of the water because we were tuning blue. Cold water will make you forget the heat. Cool bath anyone?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Taxy, find a swimming hole with a dock. Go out and take off your shoes, and dangle your feet in the cool water. That will cool you off. In the home, until you get a new air conditioner, make a homemade swamp cooler, Simply drape a wet towel over your fan and let evaporation cool the blowing air. The foot dangle in water trick worked for me..Of course the water was never warmer than 63' F. It came from Lake Superior, through the Saint Mary's River, past our our house on its way to Lake Huron. Of course as a child, we'd be swimming in it the first part of June, when the water reached the balmy temp of about 58' F. I remember bubble gum going rock-hard in my mouth after diving in:ohmy:, and getting a headache, and mom making us get out of the water because we were tuning blue. Cold water will make you forget the heat. Cool bath anyone?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good suggestions, but I think I will dangle my feet in a bucket or in the bathtub. My car isn't working and I'm not really sure where there is a dock. I do live in an island, about 1.5 km from the river to the north and about 5.5 km from the river to the south. That's part of the reason we have so much humidity.

I sure hope I don't have to replace the AC. It's only about 7 years old. It's a form of central AC. I really, really don't want to pay several thousand dollars to replace it. I'm already bracing myself for the cost of repairs.

Good suggestions, but I think I will dangle my feet in a bucket or in the bathtub. My car isn't working and I'm not really sure where there is a dock. I do live in an island, about 1.5 km from the river to the north and about 5.5 km from the river to the south. That's part of the reason we have so much humidity.

I sure hope I don't have to replace the AC. It's only about 7 years old. It's a form of central AC. I really, really don't want to pay several thousand dollars to replace it. I'm already bracing myself for the cost of repairs.

Taxy,
Try to trouble shoot the problem before you call in a repairman.
Get the make and if possible serial# if it has one. Search online.
A lot of times, I've done this myself with my oven,and other things it's usually a simple fix. Kinda like tell the "Docta the the news":LOL:
When my oven went I was able to find the part on Ebay. It was way cheaper, more than half the price.

Getting a repairman out here would have cost me $150.00 just to look at it. Find the problem then wait 2 weeks for the part. I had it fixed in 2 days.
You could also try You tube to help you along.

Munky.

Taxy,
Try to trouble shoot the problem before you call in a repairman.
Get the make and if possible serial# if it has one. Search online.
A lot of times, I've done this myself with my oven,and other things it's usually a simple fix. Kinda like tell the "Docta the the news":LOL:
When my oven went I was able to find the part on Ebay. It was way cheaper, more than half the price.

Getting a repairman out here would have cost me $150.00 just to look at it. Find the problem then wait 2 weeks for the part. I had it fixed in 2 days.
You could also try You tube to help you along.

Munky.

That's an excellent idea. There's a problem though, the location of the "head" of the AC. It's at the top of a flight of stairs. We can't actually do anything with it. We would need a long ladder and it would be scary. So, we are definitely letting pros do the job. But, I might trouble shoot it anyways.

We're still having a heat wave. The website of the place that installed our AC (seven years ago) said the phones are extremely busy, so please contact them by email. DH did send email. I guess there are people all over the city having AC problems.

That's an excellent idea. There's a problem though, the location of the "head" of the AC. It's at the top of a flight of stairs. We can't actually do anything with it. We would need a long ladder and it would be scary. So, we are definitely letting pros do the job. But, I might trouble shoot it anyways.

We're still having a heat wave. The website of the place that installed our AC (seven years ago) said the phones are extremely busy, so please contact them by email. DH did send email. I guess there are people all over the city having AC problems.

I see the delema. Yeah stay off the ladder.:ohmy:
Is it still under warranty?

Were just getting out of the heatwave, today should be it.

Rain on Saturday? Really?:neutral::ermm:
Try to keep cool as best you can.

Munky.

I see the delema. Yeah stay off the ladder.:ohmy:
Is it still under warranty?

Were just getting out of the heatwave, today should be it.

Rain on Saturday? Really?:neutral::ermm:
Try to keep cool as best you can.

Munky.

We don't even own a ladder long enough :LOL:.

Nope, not under warranty. Bought it seven years ago. It was a five year warranty. Yesterday, I dug out the documentation and had a look.

Yup, rain forecast for Saturday, also risk of thunder storm tonight and tomorrow night. Cool weekend with a risk of frost on Sunday. :ermm:

It's not nearly as bad today. Not as hot and not as humid. We have windows open and a fan going.

Neighbors...

Earlier this summer the next door neighbor cleared out most of the trees from his backyard. Not my style, but not my yard. Flash to yesterday and last night. Starting mid-afternoon and going until nearly 4 AM today, it looked like they were trying to burn off all the firewood those trees gave up. :glare: It was finally nice enough to turn of the A/C and open windows, but we didn't. I didn't want the entire house to smell like a campground. I sure hope they don't reprise their party again tonight.

Earlier this summer the next door neighbor cleared out most of the trees from his backyard. Not my style, but not my yard. Flash to yesterday and last night. Starting mid-afternoon and going until nearly 4 AM today, it looked like they were trying to burn off all the firewood those trees gave up. :glare: It was finally nice enough to turn of the A/C and open windows, but we didn't. I didn't want the entire house to smell like a campground. I sure hope they don't reprise their party again tonight.

No bueno! :glare:

Isn't that just how it goes sometimes?

I went online this afternoon to order my favorite clothing items from two different companies.
Some of my tee shirts, shorts and intimate apparel were looking a bit worst for the wear, time to replace them.
BOTH companies that I order from no longer make my longtime favorite items that I have ordered for many, many years, dang it all! :glare:

I do not like to go shopping for any sort clothing, at all!

Now, you plunk me down in a food store and I'm as happy as a clam and could stay there for hours, most times. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom