Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are very few TV programs that I sit and stare at totally wrapped up in the program. If it doesn't challenge my brain, I just kind of follow what is going on while I am involved in some other activity. But Jeopardy is just that program. And I noticed that the questions are dumbing down.

Even though the dumbing down has happened, I need to speak up and let Spike and Pirate to please find some other time to chat for 30 minutes straight. They don't even notice if I turn the TV up full volume. They just continue to try to talk over it. It is three minutes to seven p.m. Spike is about to arrive with Teddy. Pirate is sleeping. Teddy will walk around looking for him. If he doesn't come out of his room in about ten minutes he will either bark loud enough to wake him or go in and jump up on his bed. At least I will get ten minutes to watch quietly.

I'm not sure who or what Spike and Pirate are, but Teddy sounds like a dog. Either that or your kids bark.

My dog's name is Teddy, too -- AKA Psycho-Poodle.

CD

I went shopping at my local Ralph's supermarket (big store chain) and bought $15 of nice fresh flank steak ($8.99 lb.). I open the pack expecting the flank steak to unfold into a thinner slab like most packages of flank steak do. Instead, it's just a huge 1- 1/2" thick hunk with this layer of fat running thru the middle thickness. It's impossible to slice it in half horizontally to get that fatty part out. I've already used about a quarter of it for beef jerky, but I'm taking the rest back with my receipt. Ralph's won't give me any argument and they'll refund my money, but still! I plan to complain about it to their meat department. They had another package that I suspect was butchered the same improper way.

Thanks for letting me petty vent. :mad: :cool: :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm not sure who or what Spike and Pirate are, but Teddy sounds like a dog. Either that or your kids bark.

My dog's name is Teddy, too -- AKA Psycho-Poodle.

CD

Teddy is my son Spike's dog. He is a very spoiled Maltese dog. He has all of us very well trained.

Oh, don't know. I thought you were talking about the season finale episode. Has it been longer than a week or 2 since they played that? I lose track of time on TV shows.

i was talking about last week but maybe there wasnt a show last week. probably not. and yea it has been over 2 weeks! lol i think??

---
not enough time!!! rush rush rush! well, my lifestyle dont like that! :P (im trying to be responsible, but embaracing my chill attitude too! some days are easier than others)

I'm not sure this shouldn't be a big vent. What the heck - I'm petty, I'll post it here.

Last week I spackled the little shadowbox I've been working on. Last night I sanded the spackle. Dust all over the place, even with paper underneath. I turned the shadowbox over to tap the dust out, then used a brush to brush it out, then got the bright idea to use canned air. This goes on the list of Do. Not. Ever! Sort of like when you get a little flour on the lip of the flour canister, you Do. Not. Ever. try to blow it off (yeah, I'm a slow learner).

So when the dust all died down and I had my room cleaned up an hour later, I decided to prime the shadowbox. After it was primed, I looked around for a clean piece of paper to set it on while it dried. I noticed the ads I had rolled and stuffed into my little wastebasket. Perfect. I yanked the paper out and.......well, I had sanded on a piece of paper, but had forgotten I had rolled it up after I was done and thrown it out. Guess what paper I yanked out of the wastebasket?

So several hours later when I finally had my room cleaned up again, I decided to call it a night and hit the hay. I'm still wondering if it's too late to pick another career, like raising parakeets, for instance.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this shouldn't be a big vent. What the heck - I'm petty, I'll post it here.

Last week I spackled the little shadowbox I've been working on. Last night I sanded the spackle. Dust all over the place, even with paper underneath. I turned the shadowbox over to tap the dust out, then used a brush to brush it out, then got the bright idea to use canned air. This goes on the list of Do. Not. Ever! Sort of like when you get a little flour on the lip of the flour canister, you Do. Not. Ever. try to blow it off (yeah, I'm a slow learner).

So when the dust all died down and I had my room cleaned up an hour later, I decided to prime the shadowbox. After it was primed, I looked around for a clean piece of paper to set it on while it dried. I noticed the ads I had rolled and stuffed into my little wastebasket. Perfect. I yanked the paper out and.......well, I had sanded on a piece of paper, but had forgotten I had rolled it up after I was done and thrown it out. Guess what paper I yanked out of the wastebasket?

So several hours later when I finally had my room cleaned up again, I decided to call it a night and hit the hay. I'm still wondering if it's too late to pick another career, like raising parakeets, for instance.

Brave the cold outside and use the compressed air first. No mess to clean up. We've always done that with things that were dust collectors like blinds or fake plants or things that had been sanded and needed to be cleaned before priming/staining.

Telemarketers suck!

There current gimmick is to have various different IDs show up on your phone to get you to answer their call. Just got a call from a local business in our town. Not really! It was a telemarketing call. Of course I hung up immediately.

It amazes me they think getting me to answer is the solution and that I won't just hang up!

Grrrrr!

A couple of months ago, a fax machine was calling my phone several times a day, for days. Finally, I searched for a way to block it and found this app: https://www.shouldianswer.com

It works great. It's community-driven, so you can download a list of numbers identified as telemarketers and other nuisance calls and add your own. It will display the number and what it thinks the problem is and then hang up. I just checked and it's saved me from answering 625 calls [emoji2]

I don't answer anything on my landline. It's sort of my Spam folder. Friends who don't call my cell phone know enough to leave a message on the landline phone, and I'll call them back, or pick up once I know who it is.

Brave the cold outside and use the compressed air first. No mess to clean up. We've always done that with things that were dust collectors like blinds or fake plants or things that had been sanded and needed to be cleaned before priming/staining.

I thought about going outside but it was raining and besides, it was 8pm at night. I always seem to start my projects at night. Anyway, I live in an apartment building and the only outside is an uncovered parking lot.

I went shopping at my local Ralph's supermarket (big store chain) and bought $15 of nice fresh flank steak ($8.99 lb.). I open the pack expecting the flank steak to unfold into a thinner slab like most packages of flank steak do. Instead, it's just a huge 1- 1/2" thick hunk with this layer of fat running thru the middle thickness. It's impossible to slice it in half horizontally to get that fatty part out. I've already used about a quarter of it for beef jerky, but I'm taking the rest back with my receipt. Ralph's won't give me any argument and they'll refund my money, but still! I plan to complain about it to their meat department. They had another package that I suspect was butchered the same improper way.

Thanks for letting me petty vent. :mad: :cool: :LOL:

Update: I drove back to my Ralphs supermarket and not only did they refund my $15, but they gave me another $15 flank steak for free! The butcher apologized and explained that someone must have requested a flank steak be one big hunk instead of "rolling out" (unfolding flat) like it's supposed to. :)

A couple of months ago, a fax machine was calling my phone several times a day, for days.

GG, this happened to me a looooong time ago. I finally hooked up the call to my printer/fax machine and received the fax. Got their company name, number and the company name and number they were trying to reach.

I then faxed THEM, AND the company they were trying to reach, a blistering letter about how after 3 days and umpteen million tries that the fax did NOT go thru that maybe that was a clue that it was a wrong number? I also made sure the sender knew that I had copied the letter to their customer... :D

The calls stopped immediately.

Telemarketers suck!

There current gimmick is to have various different IDs show up on your phone to get you to answer their call. Just got a call from a local business in our town. Not really! It was a telemarketing call. Of course I hung up immediately.

It amazes me they think getting me to answer is the solution and that I won't just hang up!

Grrrrr!

I like to keep them on the line as long as possible. In fact, I've made it a game as to try to break my record of stalling each time. I amswer as if I'm really interested in whatever they are up to, but then I either keep excusing myself here and there to stall, or become a complete idiot until they finally give up. Sometimes I threaten them, if they try to argue, that I will do things like a tracert or iplocate to see where they are.

Hey they called me, so they will suffer me... Mwahahahaa.

GG, this happened to me a looooong time ago. I finally hooked up the call to my printer/fax machine and received the fax. Got their company name, number and the company name and number they were trying to reach.

I then faxed THEM, AND the company they were trying to reach, a blistering letter about how after 3 days and umpteen million tries that the fax did NOT go thru that maybe that was a clue that it was a wrong number? I also made sure the sender knew that I had copied the letter to their customer... [emoji3]

The calls stopped immediately.
I don't have a fax machine and I really don't care to spend my time that way. Back in the day, I made my share of faxes to incorrect numbers and I figured out all by myself that, when it didn't work repeatedly, it was a wrong number.

I like to keep them on the line as long as possible. In fact, I've made it a game as to try to break my record of stalling each time. I amswer as if I'm really interested in whatever they are up to, but then I either keep excusing myself here and there to stall, or become a complete idiot until they finally give up. Sometimes I threaten them, if they try to argue, that I will do things like a tracert or iplocate to see where they are.

Hey they called me, so they will suffer me... Mwahahahaa.

You too? I love to play games with them sometimes. I make believe every so often that I am being interrupted and hold an imaginary conversation with someone out of earshot. Sometimes I will mention the words "bleeding profusely" or "how severe are the pains" "are they coming fast?" "did you call 911?" Then I get back to the caller with several apologies while they keep trying to pick up where they left off or were rudely interrupted by my imaginary person. Then all of a sudden we get interrupted by a "click". Sometimes they try to call back, but most don't.

A lot of times I will let them go through their whole spiel and when they are through I tell them I am hard of hearing and forgot to put the speaker on loud. Could they repeat that again please?

Not here. I don't have time for that, nor would I get pleasure out of it even if I did. I just don't answer calls from unfamiliar numbers and 99% of the time they don't leave a msg. Problem solved. :)

Once in a while they're legit, though. Yesterday someone called my cell and left a voicemail: "This is Dr. ****'s office. Hailey is ready to be picked up." I recognized the local dentist's name, knew the receptionist, and called them back to say they had the wrong number.

When we had a land-line, and no Caller ID, I would wait until the caller started talking before I would pick up. My poor SIL had to start a ton of "messages" before I would answer. Now with just a cellphone, if the party isn't in my Contact List, I don't answer. ~ Andy, if I didn't have current business with that company, I would have just let it roll to voicemail. You can always check for messages. ;)

Not here. I don't have time for that, nor would I get pleasure out of it even if I did. I just don't answer calls from unfamiliar numbers and 99% of the time they don't leave a msg. Problem solved. :)...
^This^ I did do telemarketing for a while when we needed money for extras when building Home Two. At least I worked for a courteous agency owner who insisted we be polite and allow the person to end the call immediately if they so chose. My biggest time-eater was when I got a lonely old person who was so happy to have any human contact that they droned on and on. Again with the courteous boss, she said we should listen to those people, no matter how annoying, because it could very well be their only contact with a real person that day. :( To this day I can remember her name, Charlotte, and can picture what she looks like from memory. A real quality person. :heart:

And about that miss-dialed call from the dentist? One time a dry cleaner left a message that someone's cleaning was ready. Not mine! I called the dry cleaner back to let them know they needed to figure out what the right phone number was.

I have no patience to engage a caller. I check the display then hang up. Once a doctors office called and I hung up because the number was not their main number. They called right back.

Considering the fax episode that happened to me, suffice it to say we did not have Caller ID back then and Message devices were external and purchased at your local electronics store. So when the phone rings and you had kids - you answered... but to then have a fax machine squeal in your ear... was not fun.

I did that company a favour, not to mention my own ear plus the vindication for my pain. I'm sure the sending company quickly educated the staff who did not seem to have the most basic common sense to figure it out. If not educated she(he) would probably receive the wonderful "pink slip" with the next pay cheque.

My basement smoke/CO2 detector started screeching and beeping. The batteries need to be replaced. I get that. So far I've broken 3 fingernails trying to open the battery door. I looked up the manual online, and it was of no help. Can't get the dang thing open. DH's solution would be to take a hammer to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom