Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She hasn't
worked a day and paid into social security for 43 years.
The only reason she gets anything is because I did pay into SS for for over 50 years. When I'm not there to support her anymore, life is going to get much more difficult for her. But, that's her choice. I'm no longer willing to let her drive me into the grave.

I do hope that you are able to either salvage the relationship or able to work out a divorce that is fair to both.

The only objection I have is the “haven’t worked a day “ comment because she probably stayed home to raise the children and that does count as a job. It’s not an easy job and it’s hard to enter the workforce after many years and having to start over.

No, she was bed-ridden and not anle to help with raising the kids for twenty years. I was the one to play with then, disciplune them, go to P TO meetings, take them to extra curucular activities, teach them moral values, accountability, took them to scouting activities, and all the rest of it. If you could talk to my children and ask them who raised them, they all say that I did it, and all while taking care of their mom, going to school, and working. I wish she could have remained the woman she was for the first 5 years of our marriage. But she wasn't.

She now has agreed to counciling, and causing less stress, but this has happened before. We shall see.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northn

No, she was bed-ridden and not anle to help with raising the kids for twenty years. I was the one to play with then, disciplune them, go to P TO meetings, take them to extra curucular activities, teach them moral values, accountability, took them to scouting activities, and all the rest of it. If you could talk to my children and ask them who raised them, they all say that I did it, and all while taking care of their mom, going to school, and working. I wish she could have remained the woman she was for the first 5 years of our marriage. But she wasn't.

She now has agreed to counciling, and causing less stress, but this has happened before. We shall see.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northn

I'm sorry to hear that she wasn't able to help with the family. It's tough enough raising kids with your partner, let alone by yourself. I can't imagine what that was like.

Glad to hear that the two of you are seeking counseling. Hope that better days are soon to be had.

I have always loved children. I kept my younger siblings, and even younger cousins. and neighborhood children entertained as I loved to see little ones laugh, and learn, and enjoy life. The parents knew that if I was around, their kids were safe.

So when I became a parent, I started teaching, loving, and playing with them from the day they were born, and loved almost every minute of it. Raising my kids wasn't a chore. It was a pleasure.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since this thread is called "Petty vents"...here's mine and it's pretty petty.:rolleyes:
I'm sitting here at 11 am in my nightgown just because I'm sure nobody is coming to see me, and SC likes this nightgown, so why should I be in a hurry to get dressed and ready for the day? I've been bored this morning, so I went shopping for 2 pairs of new sandals. They are quite cute but after I ordered them I got to thinking of just where I was going to wear them because of this SIP situation. Even if I could wear the new sandles somewhere, I haven't had my usual monthly professional pedicure in more than two months! My toenails are so long, I could climb a fence like a cat. I guess I have to do something about that. :mad::ohmy:

LOL Kayelle - I relate! Since I've developed the neuropathy NOBODY, BUT NOBODY can touch my feet. I certainly know when it is time to soak them for as long as possible and then hack away.

Can't wait for sandal season where they can grow as long as they want and I'm not crippled with shoes. I just gob on lots of nail polish. Works for me :D

Since this thread is called "Petty vents"...here's mine and it's pretty petty.:rolleyes:
I'm sitting here at 11 am in my nightgown just because I'm sure nobody is coming to see me, and SC likes this nightgown, so why should I be in a hurry to get dressed and ready for the day? I've been bored this morning, so I went shopping for 2 pairs of new sandals. They are quite cute but after I ordered them I got to thinking of just where I was going to wear them because of this SIP situation. Even if I could wear the new sandles somewhere, I haven't had my usual monthly professional pedicure in more than two months! My toenails are so long, I could climb a fence like a cat. I guess I have to do something about that. :mad::ohmy:
You'll have to wear your cute sandals on your front porch with a glass of wine in your hand and Sous Chef by your side :wub:

How have I not stumbled upon this thread in all of these years?

...Do you remember when PF thought it said Panty Vents and Alix made this post?
Souschef and I were in France 8 yrs. ago but I snorted wine out my nose when I got home and read it. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/panty-vents-81714.html

It's bittersweet when I read through old threads. There is always one or two old souls that are no longer with us who had posted in one and I get wistful. Then there are some who used to be regulars but just stopped coming around. For some of those people I wonder what happened and if they'll ever return. For others my first thought is "I wonder if they got banned?". :whistling: :LOL:

Thanks for the good laugh, Kayelle. Now I'll be looking at my laundry with new eyes the next time I do undies. ;)

Who'd uv thunk we could get 4 pages of laughs out of my poor eyesight?
Speaking of poor eyesight - but this is more along the lines of reading kompreehenshun - I used the Forum Jump drop-down menu at the bottom of the page so I could click on "Subscriptions". While scrolling up the page, my eyes read one entry as "glutton free". :huh: :ermm: Then my brain caught up. It's actually a sub-forum for "gluten free".

That's what I did before there were cooking sprays available [emoji38] Take a piece of kitchen paper, pour oil onto it and wipe it on your cooking surface.

Now there's an idea.

Thanks!

Gillian
In the 1960s, we were taught to do that with a wad of waxed paper. Works for buttering a pan too. Now I use a silicon pastry brush. I prefer not having to throw out a piece of paper towel or waxed paper.

In the 1960s, we were taught to do that with a wad of waxed paper. Works for buttering a pan too. Now I use a silicon pastry brush. I prefer not having to throw out a piece of paper towel or waxed paper.

I use my fingers. Also, I use butter rather than oil.

I really like that idea Taxi. I'm always thinking about waste also, and I don't like using my fingers to spread oil or butter.

Frugality is the quality of being frugal, sparing, thrifty, prudent or economical in the consumption of consumable resources such as food, time or money, and avoiding waste, lavishness or extravagance. It is not the same thing as being cheap/miserly/stingy/tight..
My Mom was so "smart frugal" and would never make do with anything but real butter, even back in the day. I thought she was pretty smart for saving the paper wraps from sticks of butter in a container to use when needed.
There's just enough butter on the paper to do the job. Now that is sure "smart frugal" and now that old memory popped into my head, I'll do it too.
I also just ordered a dozen cloth napkins from Amazon. She never ever used paper napkins, not only because of the waste but because she just had too much "class" to use paper. She was always my hero and I still miss her daily.

Last edited:
I've always had a block of lard or shortening in the cupboard and have always used either a piece of the parchment paper from the wrappings or wax paper. I don't throw it out, keep it in the box for the next use. It becomes better with use, almost like a piece of cloth. I do throw it out only when I start to get more on my fingers than the pan. :LOL: I don't think I would call that being wasteful.

I do have sprays but don't use them for baking. Did when sprays first came out but for some reason didn't care for it. Don't really think I can say why, just don't.
Mostly use sprays for roasting pans and their racks. Also for frying pans, quick coat then whatever type of oil the recipe calls for. Less sticking and easier clean up.

I only use butter for certain bakes such as Madelaines. Most of our butters, here come in foil wraps now. There are probably some still with paper but I haven't come across them. Because of the shape of the Madelaine pans I get a much faster, neater and better coverage to use my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom