Philosophy of Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do any of you have a Philosophy of Life? Just a sentence or two that guides you through everything? Then explain why.

For me it is that I try to make my little corner of the world, wherever it may be, a little better place because I was here.

I've lived so many places that I'd like to think that when I leave, maybe, just maybe, the people I leave will think I've helped or added rather than detracted. I don't think I've been a success in all cases, but that's my aim.

You can never change the facts but you can always change your attitude.

Grow where you are planted.

And finally from Woody Allen "the only thing standing between me and success is me"

Do any of you have a Philosophy of Life? Just a sentence or two that guides you through everything?

Yes, I do, Claire. The only rule I've ever lived by:

The Golden Rule.

Simply put; I try not to do anything to anyone that I wouldn't want done to me.

When I was a child, my Father had each of us children go to a different church for every Sunday in a month. We got to them all I think.

By the time I was 10, Religion as a whole did nothing but confuse me. It seemed that all they did was threaten and condemn people who didn't think precisely as they did.

I also studied Adults and their actions, intensely. By 10 years of age, I came to the conclusion that most adults lied constantly and justified it with excuses. Everywhere I turned, I was confronted with lying adults and people claiming that thier religion would "Save" me if I immersed myself in it. Then, the same people would break the very rules they were trying to get me to live by.

I had enough. The "Golden Rule" is the only thing that every religion and culture on the planet has in common. They all have it in one form or another.

I try to live by it and have been pretty successful at it.

As a simple guiding principle, treating others as you want to be treated, is a great one. However, I never saw it as a religious rule, just as a good idea.

Yes, I do, Claire. The only rule I've ever lived by:

The Golden Rule.

Simply put; I try not to do anything to anyone that I wouldn't want done to me.

When I was a child, my Father had each of us children go to a different church for every Sunday in a month. We got to them all I think.

By the time I was 10, Religion as a whole did nothing but confuse me. It seemed that all they did was threaten and condemn people who didn't think precisely as they did.

I also studied Adults and their actions, intensely. By 10 years of age, I came to the conclusion that most adults lied constantly and justified it with excuses. Everywhere I turned, I was confronted with lying adults and people claiming that their religion would "Save" me if I immersed myself in it. Then, the same people would break the very rules they were trying to get me to live by.

I had enough. The "Golden Rule" is the only thing that every religion and culture on the planet has in common. They all have it in one form or another.

I try to live by it and have been pretty successful at it.

that is mine as well. it covers every aspect of my life. if you follow that one rule, you are a successful person, i think so, anyway.

As a simple guiding principle, treating others as you want to be treated, is a great one. However, I never saw it as a religious rule, just as a good idea.
I agree totally, Andy. It really has nothing to do with religion. Its a manner in which to treat others, nothing more, nothing less.

Mutual fairness taken to the extreme.

We and the whole Earth, and our whole galaxy for that matter, are so small on the scale of the universe that all are as close to infinitely insignificant as you can get, so there's nothing in the affairs of the world worth dealing anyone, most especially yourself, any grief over.

Back
Top Bottom