Phone for senior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of coarse that's obviously true!

It's also dependent on the state of mind at the time. Charlie's newly widowed Mom is fragile right now.

Remembering when I was newly widowed and being overwhelmed with life changes, the last thing I would have wanted was yet another life altering change. At some point she may, or may not, be willing and able to embrace modern technology.

Charlie, you're quite welcome for the link of resources. I'm wishing both of you the very best.

My response was to the "vast majority" and "that's a fact" terms you used, which flies in the face of "everyone is different."

Keep in the mind, it is important for elderly people to exercise their minds regularly... that is scientific fact.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brain-gain-mental-exercis/

The ability of my dad to use an iPhone, and sync it to his car at age 86 may not be a "blessing" at all, but the result of challenging his mind.

CD

I think everyone would agree that challenging the mind at any age is a good thing.

On the other hand, if an elder chooses to opt out of that concept, should they be judged as being inferior in some way?

I think everyone would agree that challenging the mind at any age is a good thing.

On the other hand, if an elder chooses to opt out of that concept, should they be judged as being inferior in some way?
Not wanting a smart phone proves nothing about how "with it" a person is. I have a neighbour who is in her 70s. She won't have a computer in her house. She worked with computers until she retired and is tired of them. Her daughter finally bought her the tablet she didn't want, so she can see pictures of the grandkids. She has a landline phone and is happy with it. BTW, she is a nurse and sometimes works for Doctors Without Borders. Sometimes she goes on vacation by hiring on as the nurse on a freighter or tanker ship.

I've a degree in computers, my aunt worked in computers in the early days. I don't care for phone talking, so I have had a flip phone and now a candy bar type. I don't want a smart phone. I communicate online and with text skype. My aunt also dislikes phones and she uses face-time type skype, which I don't do. Really it just matters what that person likes to do and how willing they are to keep it running.

Think back 30 years ago, and people were talking about something unheard of, video phones! Well, I don't hear of any people having them but lots of people do video talking with face-time and different video conferencing applications.

Ok, so what's the difference, except for the hardware...?

Yeah, that's the difference--the hardware used. At first they sold video phones but they could only talk to other people with video phones (with the video portion). Now we just use computers to do the same thing and the only problem is choosing the application on your computer/laptop/smart thing, to match the other person's application.

Umm, as in "not blessed?" :rolleyes:

My mom was very reluctant to try ANYTHING new, and dad got her an iPad and a Barnes's and Noble App. That's the only way she reads, now (and she reads A LOT!).

My sister refused to switch from here old flip-phone, until my dad got her an iPhone. Now, she does things with that iPhone I didn't even know could be done.

So, if someone tells you don't want that, or can't use that, don't just assume it to be true.

We are looking at a new AppleWatch for my mom, because it has an emergency 911 feature. She can wear it, and contact 911 services just like a phone. She walks with a walker, and falls. If my dad is at the store, and she falls, she can call him from her watch, or call 911. It will ad 20-bucks a month to his AT&T account.

CD

My hub is NOT elderly just yet. But REFUSES to use a computer or cell phone of any type. He tried using my cell phone once when we were out and had some trouble. He couldn't even figure out how to place the call. Finally after he started cussing my DD watched him, he keep hitting the red button! He just couldn't grasp green is go red is stop analogy even after we used a stop light as an example!

So it's not just elderly that won't/can't grasp a cell phone.

My hub is NOT elderly just yet. But REFUSES to use a computer or cell phone of any type. He tried using my cell phone once when we were out and had some trouble. He couldn't even figure out how to place the call. Finally after he started cussing my DD watched him, he keep hitting the red button! He just couldn't grasp green is go red is stop analogy even after we used a stop light as an example!

So it's not just elderly that won't/can't grasp a cell phone.

There is a learning curve, but there is also an "AHA" curve. The first time Grandma sees the face of her five-year-old grandchild who lives across the country face on Facetime, that's an "AHA" moment. Now she has a reason to embrace that new technology.

For my mom, a voracious reader, it was having a whole library of books on an iPad -- and she could adjust the size of the text for her poor eyesight. My reluctant sister finds new things to do on her iPhone faster than I can. My dad... well, he is an Engineer, so new technology challenges can keep him entertained for days.

I'm 57, and there are times I want to smash new tech things with a hammer (especially in cars). But, there are also things that make me say, "Wow, that's cool."

I don't like sushi, but I've tried it -- many kinds of it. Everyone on this forum will say try it before you say you don't like it. Well, except things like insects -- I'm not trying that if I know what it is. Yeah, I'm not completely open-minded. :glare:

Anyway, my point (that it appears some have misinterpreted) don't just assume an old person "can't" or "won't" use some new-tech thing. If they see a benefit to the, personally, they'll learn to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHIL8Ygw9o

CD

Anyway, my point (that it appears some have misinterpreted) don't just assume an old person "can't" or "won't" use some new-tech thing. If they see a benefit to the, personally, they'll learn to use it.

CD
Thank you CD...

I agree that your point got lost somewhere in the midst of the various replies..

Ross

I thought I would save some dollars switching from Verizon to Consumer Cellular (they tout the savings). Turns out that with normal minimal usage, my monthly bill from Consumer Cellular is just about the same as Verizon was.

Last edited:
Any questions or problems I have with my iphone or tablet I'll ask my 10yr old grand-daughter and she'll set things straight for me.

Ah, but can she cook? :LOL:

My dad used to ask me all kinds of questions when he was just a wee a lad of 76, and now he helps me fix problems at the ripe age of 86. Well, we help each other, but I do get a kick out of it when he tells me how to fix something on my iPhone. :LOL:

I bought him an Anova sous vide circulator for xmas last year. He loves it, and I can still tell him new things to do with it. He hasn't caught up to me on that... yet. :rolleyes:

I still have to get tough with him when mom calls and says he wants to fix something on the roof of their two-story house. Of course, mom wants me to do it for him. I tell her to pay someone to do it, and deduct it from my inheritance. :ohmy::LOL:

I borrowed his chain saw many years ago... and never used it, or brought it back. He's too cheap to buy a new one -- and he got the message, anyway.

It is a balancing act. Keep my parents challenged, without putting them in danger -- especially my dad. My sister is over-protective. I enjoy getting even with my dad a little at a time, every time I give him that, "I told you that was going to happen" smirk. He knows that smirk... I learned it from him. :cool:

CD

Back
Top Bottom