Planning trip to NY question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Sizz, you cannnot not visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art! The collection of old-world art and historical relics is simply mind-blowing. It's already right by Central Park anyway. You'll have to reserve at least half a day for this though, better if a whole day. Then if you have more time, the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) as well!

sizz, sorry i haven't gotten back to you on this sooner. i'll pm you the names of a few hotels this afternoon. i'll also give you my work # in case you want a tour of cbs or the letterman studios. if you know the dates, i'll look into tickets for the show, too.

i just glanced over everyone's posts (way to go mish!), so i hope i'm not just repeating anything. i think you'll want to stay in the in the theater district of midtown, roughly in the 40's on the west side, near broadway or 8th ave..

btw, as stated before, little italy is kinda hard to find. it's been overrun by chinatown. but grand and mott streets north of canal still has a small section, and there are a few decent restaurants left. nothing great, and it's a little overpriced, but it's something to do.

ok, well, i have to go warn the city that you're coming...;)

buckytom said:
sizz, sorry i haven't gotten back to you on this sooner. i'll pm you the names of a few hotels this afternoon. i'll also give you my work # in case you want a tour of cbs or the letterman studios. if you know the dates, i'll look into tickets for the show, too.

i just glanced over everyone's posts (way to go mish!), so i hope i'm not just repeating anything. i think you'll want to stay in the in the theater district of midtown, roughly in the 40's on the west side, near broadway or 8th ave..

btw, as stated before, little italy is kinda hard to find. it's been overrun by chinatown. but grand and mott streets north of canal still has a small section, and there are a few decent restaurants left. nothing great, and it's a little overpriced, but it's something to do.

ok, well, i have to go warn the city that you're coming...;)

Thanks Buck! Yes you better warn that city........I'm going to take your city by storm and by the time I'm done they'll have my photo plasted on billboards :LOL: .......and I'll plead the 5th....:LOL:

Sizz..... I'm going to be in Chicago from the 6th to the 15th of April, but if I'm in town while you're here, I'd be glad to meet you for dinner at my favorite little village spot (Spanish) that always pleases and doesn't break the bank.... ;) let me know!

Haven't been in a long while but isn't Ferraro's still in little Italy? on Grand, I believe. If it's there they have Great Italian Pastry!
And please tell me Vincent's isn't gone. Love their shrimp and hot sauce. I know they were selling the sauce in jars but it doesn't even come close to having it there.

jennyema said:
Ferrara's is still there, as far as I know. Was this summer.

Ferrara's is a good reason to go to Little Italy, for sure.
Ferrara's is "good," imo, but FAR better are both Veniero's on East 11th Street and Bruno Bakery on LaGuardia and Bleecker have better Italian pastries.

I just like the look of Ferrara's.

It reminds me of Italy. Specifically a place in Milan near the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele.

ChefJune said:
Sizz..... I'm going to be in Chicago from the 6th to the 15th of April, but if I'm in town while you're here, I'd be glad to meet you for dinner at my favorite little village spot (Spanish) that always pleases and doesn't break the bank.... ;) let me know!

Sounds great Chef......I'll let you know when we narrow the days down ... which will be in the next month.

The street festivals usually start up again by that time, too! Usually, a couple of blocks will be closed off to vehicular traffic and vendors of all kinds set up for business. Great street food, great bargins (some garbage, but you have to have a sharp eye) and a great way to people watch!

Start checking out Time Out New York a couple of weeks before you get here so you'll have an idea of what is happening, especially during the week of your visit. When you get here, pick up a copy at any newsstand.

jennyema said:
Ferrara's is still there, as far as I know. Was this summer.

Ferrara's is a good reason to go to Little Italy, for sure.

Jenny and RMS.........is the Ferrara's your talking about actually called LaBella Ferrera's? I put in just Ferrera's and it took me to an italian resturant in New Jersey but I see an LaBella Ferrara's on Mulberry St.

Thanks so much everyone I'm getting all the fine details all mapped out.....I'm so excited.

See Jersey boys if you can get tickets

Frick Museum - located on Central Park. It's a mansion from the heyday of the big time financiers and it has a great art collection. Not as overwhelming as the others.

Ellis Island - 1/2 day
Harbor Cruise - do this early on your trip, gives you a good overview of Manhattan, they had a really good guy doing the talkiing too.

NY Public Library

Dean & Deluca in SOHO - fabulous gourmet store don't miss it

Rue 57 - eat lunch there, great food & atmosphere - around the corner from the Plaza (which by the way is closed right now)

Union Square Cafe - eat at the bar
Chez Josephine - fabulous food - go after or before theater
Shop at Bloomingdale's
window shop at Bergdorf-Goodman & Tiffany's
St. Patrick's Catheredral - near Waldorf Astoria

Have a martini at the Rainbow room

We are going in late March. I was just there in November and can't get enough of it. We will be staying near Central Park

Thanks for the tips Barbara. Do you mind me asking where you have stayed and will be staying?

Looks like we'll be going sometime during the week of March 18th.......narrowing it down and so far its leaning towards the 18th to the 21st.

Is Jersey Boys on Broadway? I want to see The Producers but need to recheck to see if its still playing.

We have stayed at the Hyatt (Grand Terminal), Waldorf Astoria, The Plaza (closed for renovation) they will open in a year or so with not many rooms they will be condos now a shame I think. The Peninsula - fabulous location and hotel, but pricey. The W is another my daughter stayed there - there's more than one in NY I think one is where you are talking about staying.

Jersey boys is on Broadway - the story of the group The Four Seasons, right out of my era.

Barbara said:
We have stayed at the Hyatt (Grand Terminal), Waldorf Astoria, The Plaza (closed for renovation) they will open in a year or so with not many rooms they will be condos now a shame I think. The Peninsula - fabulous location and hotel, but pricey. The W is another my daughter stayed there - there's more than one in NY I think one is where you are talking about staying.

Jersey boys is on Broadway - the story of the group The Four Seasons, right out of my era.

I'm sure I'd like that one. I'm going to go look at it now online.

Thanks for the advice abj I'll look online at that one too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom