Please Clear The Snow/Ice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Drove by some poor schlub on the side of the interstate this afternoon whose windshield was absolutely shattered.

Big chunks of frozen sleet lying all about.

Cop, lights flashing, in attendance.

Conclusion - some moron forgot/didn't know better/was too lazy to clear the frozen stuff from off the top of his vehicle. Melted slightly and flew off, battering the snot out of the windshield of the poor guy behind him in the lane.

Some of these chunks are as big and lethal as boulders.

Please practice proper vehicle grooming before venturing out on the roadways.

Here, Here! Same thing "almost" happened to me today. A dump truck with an open bed full of stuff had ice and snow flying off the bed, and he had a cover but didnt use it. And,no offense to SUV, van, etc users, but I hardly ever see those roofs cleaned off, and I can see why, how the heck are you suppose to get up on there?? Need a ladder I think. My roof is easily accessible and I always clean it and the entire car off before venturing out.

Boy, I agree with you. And another thing they should do is clear the ice and snow off of their windows, front, back and sides. :(

Our most dangerous accidents have been caused by people who do not secure their pets in their vehicle. While it may be fun to see a dog catching the wind out the window, the dog will often roam from one window to another chasing cars! Sooner or later, the dog is in the driver's seat wedged between the wheel and the driver, or chasing a food wrapper under the gas pedal.

While snow is a seasonal condition, the unsecured pets are an ongoing daily occurrence. If you cannot put them in an animal carrier, it would be wise to invest in a vehicle harness.

By the way, we clear the snow off our vehicles because when the vehicle gets warm, the snow melts into the doors, trunk and hood openings and freezes. You may start off okay, just might be froze in when you want to get out!

Last edited:
I see a lot of snow piled on the top of vehicles, flying off on the highways. Most of the big chunks, however, seem to fly off of semi trucks. I'm not sure how they would be able to clear it off of those high trailers. I have enough trouble with my extendable snow brush on the top of my SUV, but I do make an attempt to brush it all off. It's garage-kept at night, so the only time it's out in the elements is during the day at work.

BC

BlueCat said:
I see a lot of snow piled on the top of vehicles, flying off on the highways. Most of the big chunks, however, seem to fly off of semi trucks. I'm not sure how they would be able to clear it off of those high trailers. I have enough trouble with my extendable snow brush on the top of my SUV, but I do make an attempt to brush it all off. It's garage-kept at night, so the only time it's out in the elements is during the day at work.

BC

I believe you BlueCat because otherwise it would be melting all over your garage floor. Most people only recognize the older model SUV's that would not fit in your garage anyway.
During heavy snow days, we brush the snow off with a kitchen broom to avoid scratches. If it looks like the snow is not going to let up, we lay the broom on the floor behind the driver's seat.
There is nothing more ridiculous than to see a little car on a snow day that looks like a Hostess Snowball Cupcake!

At some point, I hope it becomes a law that cars must be cleaned at least 90 percent before they can be taken on the road. A law was passed in Philly last year because a woman was killed as a result of projectile snow/ice bricks.

It's not about forgetfulness...it's sloth. I used to drive a jeep (back before I realized how horrible they are on the environment and what guzzlers they are)..and I always used a broom to take the snow off the top of the roof.

I see it happening all the time....you're riding behind someone that still has snow/ice caked on top of the roof, on the trunk and even on the hood, and they're just tooling along the highway. Suddenly, a sheet goes flying off, caught in the wind like a leaden handkercheif. Obliviously, they canter along, leaving everything from a slippery road to death in their wake.

With all seriousness, I say, there oughta be a law.:mad:

amber said:
Here, Here! Same thing "almost" happened to me today. A dump truck with an open bed full of stuff had ice and snow flying off the bed, and he had a cover but didnt use it. And,no offense to SUV, van, etc users, but I hardly ever see those roofs cleaned off, and I can see why, how the heck are you suppose to get up on there?? Need a ladder I think. My roof is easily accessible and I always clean it and the entire car off before venturing out.

A push broom works just fine...ladder not necessary. I used to drive a jeep and that was what I used.

Vera, here in OK, if the State Troopers see you with ice/snow/crud on the top of your car, it's a $186 fine. When we got the big ice storm a month ago, the news was all over this, that people should clear the tops of their vehicles off.

Those people who don't clean their cars ought to come live here. They can join the dummies who drive up the mountain to see the snow, then (I kid you not) shovel snow ONTO their car/van/truck and drive down the mountain to show it to other people.

"look, Jimmy, it's called snoooooooow. it's cooooooooold."

Seriously, though, stay safe, guys, and kudos to all of you for cleaning off your vehicles!

jkath said:
The dummies who drive up the mountain to see the snow, then (I kid you not) shovel snow ONTO their car/van/truck and drive down the mountain to show it to other people.

"look, Jimmy, it's called snoooooooow. it's cooooooooold."

You CAN'T be serious but, jath, you wouldn't make this up. What stupids!!!!

there is a law in jersey, and it's being considered in ny as well. currently, it is only fines from $150 to $800 for each offense that causes some kind of accident or damage. doesn't seem stiff enough.

unfortunately, it's tough to crack down on. i lost a windshield to a chunk of ice from the top of an 18 wheeler on route 80 a few years back. most expensive sick day/ski day :cool: that i've had in my life. (i still went skiing that day, sans windshield. i just wore my hat and goggles and drove to the mountain).

unless you plan to run down the offending vehicle, how can you catch a person who causes the accident? the ice flies off their vehilce, causing wreckage behind as they speed away.

I swear.
I didn't even tell you the worst part. Quite often these people are boys that are a year or two out of high school, (ya know, the kind that were popular then, but have no fame now?) and they bring their car-full to the local high school and act as though they just got home from the big ski trip. Yeah, like snow falls in rounded balls with rocks and pine needles in it.

Then there are the people who make snowmen on their antennaes and then drive down the mountain. Many a fool has lost an antennae that way.

only in a few spots, mostly at major interchanges for traffic reporting purposes.

unless the coppers have secret cameras that i'm unaware of...

mmyah, see, they'll never catch me. top o' the world ma, top o' the world...

Last edited:
Here it is the 40-ish Dads' who show off mostly to a bunch of little cub scouts. Can you imagine this, they take those kids out winter camping.
This is when I pull "RANK" on the old guys and keep my kids home.
They will pack snow in the bed of a pickup and stop by on their way home to drop something off.
LOL.....boys grow up to be men, husbands, fathers, & grandpa. :LOL:

wow, stirblue, i respectfully don't agree with that.

if handled intelligently, most scout trips are pretty safe, and learning to handle yourself in diverse and challenging environments is an important lesson for anyone, not just dads and scouts.

buckytom said:
wow, stirblue, i respectfully don't agree with that.

if handled intelligently, most scout trips are pretty safe, and learning to handle yourself in diverse and challenging environments is an important lesson for anyone, not just dads and scouts.
*************​
I've been on many hiking and camping trips with my kids and they are really cool. Pack the necessities and travel light and stay together.
************​
The Scout Master made the kids take off their shoes and leave them outside the tent. All their shoes froze.
They left 2 kids to clean up breakfast and took the others on a hike to the fish tank thing. They got lost.
They were rescued by a farmer who took them to their vehicle parked on the blacktop about 4 miles from where they camped.
The Scout Master decided that he would return in the morning and pack up the camp. They forgot to go get the 2 kids.
The 2 kids hiked to the highway and a state trooper took them home.
The Scout Master and his Scout Assistant laughed at the parents and said "I can't believe we did that."
There have been no more camp outs since then (4 years ago) and many left the program as a result.
An average scout group is about six or eight kids. And you Lose two ?

The American Boy Scout image is much different from the actual experience.
There are no training programs for the Scout Master; except maybe some leadership brochure. The American Boy Scout Program comes under the Federal Police Agency along with the Park Police.

Back
Top Bottom