POLL: Clothes Drying: Line? Or Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLL: Clothes Drying: Line? Or Machine?

• I always use a clothes dryer

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I always hang my clothes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I mostly machine dry, but hang some items

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I mostly line dry, but machine dry a few items

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
There was a lively discussion about how we dry our clothes (go figure :LOL: ) that I wanted to join, but oddly enough chose not to since it was OT. :huh: And there are days that I'm the Queen of Off Topic. :whistling:

I grew up in a house that had a gas dryer as soon as they were a common appliance. Before that, Mom (and I) hung clothes in the back yard in nice weather, in the basement when it rained or snowed. Our first three years of marriage were spent in apartments, so the in-building washer and dryer were used. Once we got our own house, though, and our own yard, up went lines...along with a washer/dryer set, housewarming gifts from my folks.

Mom had a habit of shrinking anything polyester, so I made sure I rescued my clothes from the hamper before she started the family wash. Once I moved out, I realized that the problem with clothes dryers and shrinking/elastic becoming cracked were more of an issue because Mom had a gas dryer, while all I've ever used once married were electric. Our undies tend to just plain ol' wear out, rather than have the elastic die before the rest of the piece is worn. I also tend to "dry to fabric content", while Mom was pretty much a "full heat ahead" sort of person. :LOL: Anything with elastic is dried on low, or hung to dry.

I miss the smell of line-dried clothes. Our first house had perfectly spaced trees for stringing lines. The summer of 1988 was hot-hot (104 in Cleveland on June 25th!) but dry, so I could dry one load completely in the time it took to wash the next one. All I dried in the machine was Himself's no-iron dress shirts and towels. The second house had virtually no grassy area in the back yard - just enough to run one line long enough for hanging sheets and pillowcases. This place? Between the slope in our yard and a heavily wooded back yard, with just enough grass to keep the trees a decent distance from the house, I haven't hung anything in 18 years. Like RP mentioned elsewhere, I just figure the price of machine drying clothes into the electric bill budget. At least I can dry clothes at my convenience, not the whims of the weather.

I still hang our tops (t-shirts, sweatshirts) and jeans. No real place in the basement, since the ceiling is low and there is fiberglass insulation between the joists. Instead, I have a rolling clothes rack in the kitchen, and a smaller one in the guest room. I fluff the shirts in the dryer on "air" for about 10 minutes, then put them on hangers. I swear some of our knit shirts are over a dozen years old and still look newish. :)

I line dry all my cold water wash, my elastic cotton sweat pants, my underwear tops and bottoms, my nighties, and wool socks. I like the neighbors to see me in them and on the line. Dh has now started drying his jeans on the line, and his t-shirts, so they wear out less than the machine drying.

Both of us like our towels and cotton socks dried soft in the dryer.

Fun thread, CG! I checked #3 - mostly dryer, but hang some items.

I don't have a clothesline, but there are a few hooks on my patio roof where I used to have hanging plants :) - they get morning sunlight and have come in handy for a few cotton tops that I don't want to put in the dryer.

There's a few clothes items in my closet for 'dressier' times, but I don't wear them very often and when I do they just go to the cleaners. :)

For me "always hang" incudes the "dry flat" things as there wasn't a separate option. I usually dry flat on a towel on the bathroom floor as the hot water pipes and radiator feeder pipes run underneath. Waste not want not :)

Last edited:
I have a retractable line that can run the length of the covered deck. There are also convenient stops on each upright, so almost 40 feet of line. This is for sheets and towels. I can't feed the birds in the backyard if I'm going to be hanging items outside.

I've always been a mostly non-dryer person. I always thought that the stuff I took out of the lint filter was a scrubbing of my laundry. Fluff equaled a diminishing of my fabrics.

As a result, I have shied from using the dryer. Towels get "fluffed" on a no heat cycle, which softens them to an acceptable level.

The rest of the laundry either gets put on lines on the porch outside or on the lines in the back yard

When I lived in my big, old 1880s house, I had lines strung in the large family room. Much like Abigail Adams did when she lived in the White House. 'Cept our house wasn't quite as regal as the White House.

In very inclement weather, I have several free-standing collapsible drying racks that serve the purpose and can be placed in our enclosed breezeway or inside.

I'm just not a big fan of clothes dryers. They abrade fabrics and cause elastic to give up before its time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:LOL:

I've always wanted to send my boxers up the flag pole, but I am afraid some of my neighbors may consider that unpatriotic.

I always use the dryer. As far as worn out elastic, I've solved that problem by using those zipper white mesh bags for my underwear. The elastic won't wear out if it doesn't get tangled with other clothes. I use the bags for both the washer and dryer.

Last edited:
We have a drying cabinet that works as line dryer but indoors, this saves the clothes and we also have tumble dryer for socks and underwear. My landlord just exchanged the cabinet so it nice and efficient .

For me "always hang" incudes the "dry flat" things as there wasn't a separate option. I usually dry flat on a towel on the bathroom floor as the hot water pipes and radiator feeder pipes run underneath. Waste not want not :)
I actually do the "dry flat" thing, too, MC, but ONLY for sweaters. We have a decent sized basement, so I have a couple of folding tables set up. I'll dry the sweater (or a few of Himself's nicer knit tops) with the shoulders hanging off the edge a bit, then finish drying on hangers so that all the seams are dry before I fold and stack in the closet. Never occurred as an option since I do it so infrequently, and for specific items.

We actually take our Christmas sweaters in the winter and roll them in a big bath towel then put them on a plastic clothes rack.

I really wish that I could have a clothes line,
not ya know, those pesky HOA rules :glare:

This is our second home where I can't have clothes
hanging out. I tried to install a retractable line in the
laundry room, but that didn't work... DIY ... maybe I
should hire a handy man, oh wait, I am the handy man
`round here :LOL:

I love, love, love the smell of sheets that have been hung out in the Sunshine.

When I think of clothes lines I think of many moons ago when I was a day care mother.

I took care of five little ones and three of them were in diapers, one of them was my own baby. Those were the days of cloth diapers and although I had an automatic washing machine, I only had a huge clothes line with five long lines. For extra $ I laundered the diapers for the other babies too. Getting all of them on the lines took some inventive overlapping for all those white flags. Then I got to fold all of them. Frankly, I'm not at all nostalgic about clothes lines. On the bright side, I made as much money as the working mothers and I got to stay home and raise my own child.
Nope, I'm just fine with my clothes dryer.

I felt a great amount of satisfaction when I woke up one day and DH (now retired) had all his clothes on the line. He felt so accomplished and I felt so good about it, not losing so much cloth in the dryer.

We went to visit some friends up north and she was going to hang clothes, so I went out and stood next to her to help and we bonded over hanging clothes. It seems like it is so natural and frugal, and we talked like we were sisters. It was a good feeling.

If any of you want to hang laundry, invite me over and I'll stand there with you and help. There is something about standing with someone chatting about the day, the weather, the scenery. It's like going back 100 years. I love it. I imagine that 100 years ago the women bonded at the creek while they washed the family's clothes. We don't have that now. Now we bond over face book selfies (I don't do facebook anymore).

Yeah, no. I'm quite happy with the convenience of the electric dryer. If anyone wants to have a bonding experience, come on over and let's sit on the porch with a glass of wine [emoji485]

I don't understand, though, why so many people seem to have such trouble with their dryers [emoji38] Actually, I think it's more likely that fibers are knocked loose in the washer than in the dryer, since it agitates more, but of course we don't empty the filter for washer, so we don't see it. I can't imagine that washing clothes against rocks in the creek is good for fabric, either, and jeez - I don't want to think about what did what in the water upstream :ermm: E. coli is natural.

In any case, I have clothes that have lasted just fine for many years despite weekly washing and drying. It's just not an issue that I can see.

I've always been a mostly non-dryer person. I always thought that the stuff I took out of the lint filter was a scrubbing of my laundry. Fluff equaled a diminishing of my fabrics.

.:LOL:
I find the same to be true for our dryer (and even the washer lint that is found in the nylon hose that filters the water out of the washer).

Here's some scientific agreement to the dryer issues. https://www.reviewed.com/science/how-dryers-destroy-your-clothes

Lint that was once clothing.
lint2_cropped.jpg

For pants and shirts you don't want to put in the dryer because of fading and whatnot, I really should buy one of those wooden or plastic clothes drying racks. I run out or room hanging jeans and shirts over my shower curtain rod and towel bars. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom