Pop topic! quick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I need a quick answer, and I realize completely that it is unrealistic for me to expect to get an answer within 2 hours, so I beg you....

I have grilled chicken, saucy cheese potatoes, and green bean casserole, for 5 guys, to be heated in the microwave, on Chinet 12 inch platters in classic white. If I assemble the food on the plates at 1 pm, will they be okay covered in foil, to be heated at 7 pm tonight?????????? They will be refrigerated from 1 to 7. Will they get weak and soak through? This is for DH and his pals, his last day of work, retiring after today. Please help me out if you can. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(pop topic, a quick response on a subject, from a movie with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts--Larry Crowne)

Not sure how much liquid there is in the potatoes and beans. They should be OK. If necessary, double up on the plates before microwaving.

Good idea! The green beans are a little wet, the cheesy potatoes are pretty solid.

You will also find the three components of the meal will heat at different rates. I find it better sometimes to heat all the chicken then all the potatoes then the beans before assembling the plates.

I hear you Andy. He is heating everything in 4 industrial small microwaves, if there is such a thing. It's the best we can do for the particular lunchroom and circumstances.

Do you have each item on a different platter, or is each meal plated? If you put each item on a different platter and serve family-style, he can reheat them separately. If they're all cooked together, the beans might overcook before the potatoes are heated through.

Otherwise, it's fine to hold them in the fridge as you've planned.

They are all platters assembled in advance on each platter for each person. Plated. It will be okay, I'm not so worried now. The worst that could happen if we double the plates, is he won't retire, that would be a tragedy, ha ha. "Man denied retirement due to lunchroom mishap."

Sorry I'm late, but you can put a layer of plastic wrap on a plate, put the food on it, then put another plate over it. Then wrap in foil, or I often use packing tape around the edges of plastic plates at work.

You can remove the tape or foil, partially reheat the food with the plastic covered plate on the bottom, carefully flip over, remove the plastic wrap, recover and reheat until hot.

Bucky tom! Yes you are late late late, he he. Good idea and it sounds like that is something you've done before.

I sent DH with extra plates to put underneath if necessary and I guess I'll hear how it went in 2 hours.

It's a 10 hour shift, it's an hour commute in both directions, up hill in the snow bare foot both ways. I hope he leaves early. FOREVER.

I'm going to advise him to call his boss tomorrow and tell him, "I'm calling in sick, for the rest of my life."

Chinet 12 inch platters in classic white

They lasted for the 6 hours the food was on them. They lasted in the microwave. No leaking or weakness. The extra plates weren't used at all. Yay.

Everyone was happy with the food too. Thanks for all the quick help on the pop topic!

Back
Top Bottom