Poppyseed/Drug testing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Ok, the salad thread made me wonder about this. Constance reminded us that if you eat poppyseeds you will fail a drug test. I work in a place where we sometimes make the patients take drug tests, but never the staff. How common is it in the US for people to take drug tests? I don't know anyone who has ever taken one. Now admittedly I don't hang with professional athletes, but I do know lots of folks who work in government positions, and high up in companies etc. I don't think it is a very common practice here. Is it commonplace where you live?

Alix said:
Ok, the salad thread made me wonder about this. Constance reminded us that if you eat poppyseeds you will fail a drug test. I work in a place where we sometimes make the patients take drug tests, but never the staff. How common is it in the US for people to take drug tests? I don't know anyone who has ever taken one. Now admittedly I don't hang with professional athletes, but I do know lots of folks who work in government positions, and high up in companies etc. I don't think it is a very common practice here. Is it commonplace where you live?
I am a professional driver, and I get random drug tests about every 3 months or so, or if i get into an accident (thats never happened before). The poppy seed thing is a myth, I asked my Doc about it when I got tested once.:rolleyes: My co-worker/boss was trained in this area and also says the same thing.

If you work at a place where you make your patients take drug tests, I am sure you are aware of the fact that it is very easy to cheat. A blood test only way to know for sure.

We generally don't test for opiates (where the poppyseeds would play in), we are testing for marijuana usually.

And actually depending on what test is used poppyseeds DO affect the test. I suspect though that it is more the very sensitive tests that athletes have to take. I mean hey, a decongestant messed up Silken Laumann in a drug test. (She's a Canadian rower)

Maybe the tests that are used routinely in the workplaces there are not that sensitive MJ? maybe the poppyseeds wouldn't affect the outcome of those ones?

The social director of our club once said that the poppyseeds may be detectable in a drug test.

Alix said:
We generally don't test for opiates (where the poppyseeds would play in), we are testing for marijuana usually.

And actually depending on what test is used poppyseeds DO affect the test. I suspect though that it is more the very sensitive tests that athletes have to take. I mean hey, a decongestant messed up Silken Laumann in a drug test. (She's a Canadian rower)

Maybe the tests that are used routinely in the workplaces there are not that sensitive MJ? maybe the poppyseeds wouldn't affect the outcome of those ones?
Maybe they do effect the test, but it will be obvious if it is poppyseed or drugs. Poppyseeds will not make you fail a marijauna drug test down here - I have passed them all and I am a poppyseed lover.:LOL:

I guess I'm not sure how sensitive your tests are. Maybe thats the problem if you have a reason to question someone.

MJ said:
Maybe they do effect the test, but it will be obvious if it is poppyseed or drugs. Poppyseeds will not make you fail a marijauna drug test down here - I have passed them all and I am a poppyseed lover.:LOL:

I guess I'm not sure how sensitive your tests are. Maybe thats the problem if you have a reason to question someone.

Oh dear, oh dear!
I use black poppy seeds frequently but White poppy seeds (khas khas) even more!

But then we don't have many drug tests over here!!

My husband is an interstate truck driver; they have random tests (company rules, DOT can have you tested whenever besides) at least 4 times a year. And yes, these tests will pick up if you have been eating anything with poppyseeds. Good thing that he doesn't care for food with them!!

Interesting story, whether true or not, I'm not sure-----back before nurses would actually acompany you to the urinal for your drug test some men were testing "positive" for pregnancy tests---they were substituting their significant "others" urine for the tests so that they would get clean tests. Have you heard of this or is this just a good story??

On a different tangent I did have a nonsmoking friend test positive for nicotine because she worked in an office with smokers--the test was that sensitive. I guess there is something to secondhand smoke afterall.

I can believe it about non-smokers. When I get dishes and plates back from my neighbor across the road from me; I start gagging right away because of the smoke residue left on those dishes!!!! To tell you the truth, I no longer send food to her in any dishes that I want returned, it is that bad!!!

Morphine from poppy seeds will show, up to around five hours after consumption. Poppy seeds used in cooking generally include both opium and non-opiate seeds. There's also some sort of additional test they can do if you claim to only have had poppy seeds since there's some substance in raw seeds that doesn't exist any longer once they have been processed into something naughty.

My son is going to graduate from the police academy soon and I'm going to make sure that he doesn't have any poppy seed rolls whatsoever--ha!!! they have to go through a BUNCH of tests!

Good idea expatgirl; I have a brother and 2 brothers-in-law in law enforcement. Hubby was over 30 years ago and always seems to have jobs that really enforce drug testing. I do think it is a good thing, JMO.

cops
bus drivers
drs..YES
but... I had to be tested to work in the offices at SEARs....
I was clean...btw.

Not to be nosy but where are your boys and hubby working their beats??? If my son gets accepted (say lots of prayers with us) it''ll be in the Houston, TX area. He graduates from the University of Houston's Police Academy and many companies seem to be interestd. So we shall see.

i've known a few guys who failed drug tests, and tried the poppy seed excuse. like scotty said, they retested them and were able to tell if it really was edible poppy seeds.

one thing i won't do is bail any of my friends out of jail. you get popped, you do the time or cry to someone else. and smile when you say hi to big bubba ...

i have been somewhat outspoken about legalization, but i completely agree that certain occupations, like people who operate vehicles or heavy machinery, and people in law enforcement should be tested, even if everything were legal.

unfortunately, the one group that should have mandatory testing more than anyone else because of the availability of controlled substances are health care workers, especially doctors and nurses. as it stands now here, there has to be a reasonable suspicion to test anyone, and then the lawyers get involved on both sides. the facts get muddled, the lawyers get rich, and the addict/doctor or nurse gets a slap on the wrist in most cases.

i have personal experience with this. an old girlfriend was a nurse, so i hung out with many of her peers over the 3 year period that we dated. besides the rampant alcohol and tobacco abuse (both of which are drugs all the same), i saw the obvious signs of prescription drug abuse on many occasions. you can almost always tell by looking at their eyes. your liver rats you out.
a few months after we broke up, a buddy was over my apartment, and was looking for aspirin. he knows that i abhor pills of any kind; i don't even like to take aspirin, but i keep some for skull cracking hangovers. he was very surprised to find a pill bottle tucked away in my medicine cabinet with my name on the prescription. the label said it was a drug for ear infections, of which i have suffered since i was a kid, but i knew that i hadn't taken anything for it for years. so i looked at the little pills, and looked them up in the physicians desk reference that she left behind when she moved out. it turned out that they were diazepam, aka vallium. the highest dosage available in pill form to boot.
so even the nice girl that i thought was far above any of that garbage, especially since her dad was a nyc police captain, was abusing as well. even if it was just for partying, it was wrong. it seems she was even forging her doctor's signature on the script.

i was just going to forget about it, and her, but she stalked me for a while. so i threatened to turn her in to the state nursing authority with the evidence. i never heard from her again, at least not for years after. and my stupid a$$ buddy (that i had been friends with for almost 30 years) stole most of my evidence without me knowing. that would have been fun: reporting someone to a state authority, then having an empty bottle with my name on it as evidence.

p.s.- my buddy and i remained uncomfortable friends for a while after that, but that pretty much ended after he had a drug overdose and went into a coma. our group of friends rallied around him and his family until he recovered, and was released from the hospital. we all tried to help him stay clean, and get healthy since he developed cardiomyopathy from years of abuse.
it wasn't a couple of weeks later that he was drinking and smoking again, and trying to see if any of us had any "contacts" to get him more drugs.

some people never learn. i expect the next time i see him will be at his wake.

ChefScotty said:
Morphine from poppy seeds will show, up to around five hours after consumption.

Is there seriously Morphine in poppy seeds???
I'm very allergic! I do love poppy seeds, but only eat them in one cake that I make.

it's not actually morphine per se jkath, but the same chemicals that make up morphine and codeine, called opiates, are in poppy seeds.

i just did a little reading up, and found that they test you for the presence of opiates first. if you fail that, they retest you , checking for the actual level of opiates present, and their codeine/morphine profile.
poppy seeds on a bagel or in a cake can only produce a few hundred ng/mL at best. even if you ingest a few tsps of poppy seeds directly, you'l still only read somewhere below 2000 ng/mL.
so a higher reading, say in the thousands (as would be expected of a drug dose) is the positive test. i think the u.s. military looks for readings over 3000 ng/mL for a positive.

Back
Top Bottom