Pretty Cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice!

But it's hard to believe that no one has ever lived in it. It's obvious those appliances had to be maintained or restored by someone to be in that showroom condition.

I agree...they must have gone it to clean all the dust from the house before putting it on the market or something. Wish I knew more about the details as to why it was never sold, etc

I agree...they must have gone it to clean all the dust from the house before putting it on the market or something. Wish I knew more about the details as to why it was never sold, etc

That's what I was wondering. How does a home get built and then sit empty for 60 years? Definitely looks pretty high end for that period. Not sure I could deal with the pink for very long though.

That's what I was wondering. How does a home get built and then sit empty for 60 years? Definitely looks pretty high end for that period. Not sure I could deal with the pink for very long though.

Nice house but there are a few tidbits that denote '60s and '70s additions/changes. Still, great place.

Sitting empty for 60 years? It's possible. There are some houses in our area that have been vacant for at least that long because the occupants died and the family is fighting over the estate. Sad but true. In fact, one home ended up going to rack and ruin before everyone quit squabbling. A real shame.

Anyone have any ideas how we could find out the details to this house? What a mystery! I'd love to see the bathroom too.

You almost have to be guaranteed it will be........PINK! Yep, yep, yeppers. That was a very popular color during that time. Our bathroom in my childhood home (the '50s) was white, pink and pale grey. Gotta love it!!

A house in my hood would be stripped and vandalized within a few months if it sat vacant....

A placard displayed in one of the appliances suggests the house was open for public touring. Those appliances would need constant upkeeping to keep them running, not to mention if parts are still available....

Last edited:
Thanks for that GG. I never thought to look on Snopes. Love that place.

I agree, I think it was vastly upgraded model home. I don't remember dishwashers being common at all, and the refrigerator is unlike any from the time. The color is sure right though.

Thanks for that GG. I never thought to look on Snopes. Love that place.

I agree, I think it was vastly upgraded model home. I don't remember dishwashers being common at all, and the refrigerator is unlike any from the time. The color is sure right though.

If the story is at all legit, that was definitely some sort of showcase home.

Also that metal looking light fixture is pretty modern. There is no way it was possible to be in the condition shown after 50 or 60 years. Forget it. Not even after 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

We had a house built in the late '50s. Thank goodness the only pink was in the 3/4 bathroom attached to the master bedroom. The full bathroom had green tub, toilet and sink. The kitchen had a yellow built in stove top and yellow built in oven and broiler. My mother bought a coppertone fridge.

I'm wondering about that counter top. I remember the Formica counter tops of the '50s and all the ones I ever saw had a rounded edge that was slightly higher than the rest of the counter top. The first time I remember seeing a counter top that didn't have that edge that keeps liquids from dripping off, was in a house renovated in the '80s.

...I'm wondering about that counter top. I remember the Formica counter tops of the '50s and all the ones I ever saw had a rounded edge that was slightly higher than the rest of the counter top. The first time I remember seeing a counter top that didn't have that edge that keeps liquids from dripping off, was in a house renovated in the '80s.

I've seen counter tops like that. I think it's cheaper to make your own like those than to buy the preformed ones with the raised front edge and no seam at the base of the backsplash.

I remember one house we had way back in the day that had turquoise kitchen appliances. They were all the rage back then. :LOL: It was years before we ever had a dishwasher though, not many people had them back then.

Yep, dishwashers didn't come into my life or anyone I knew until the 70's. With a young family, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven just being able to hide dirty dishes in my built in dishwasher and not have them in the sink.
I'm guessing that kitchen was a showcase for the latest and greatest of General Electric appliances.

Yet another thought occurred to me about the "colors of the day" then.

A woman's place was in the kitchen for home cooks, so the colors appealed to "her".
Men were just there to be served. How sad.
I can't imagine our much loved male home DC cooks ever putting up with such a girly kitchen, and that's a good thing.

I've seen counter tops like that. I think it's cheaper to make your own like those than to buy the preformed ones with the raised front edge and no seam at the base of the backsplash.
But, this house has all those fancy appliances. I wouldn't expect them to cheap out on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom