Promite Purchased.....now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Okay decided to try Promite to see if I like it, but not sure what to put it on. I see that it says to put on toast or fresh bread but also that it is good with jaffles....OH BOY, I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Can somebody tell me what a jaffle is please?

Also after it is opened does it need to be refrigerated? It doesn't say. It also doesn't say how many calories are in it. :(

IM, I had to look up Promite. I have never even heard of it before. Interesting, sounds like a version of marmite.

promite.jpg
PROMITE Spread is a vegetable and yeast extract which is a delicious spread on toast or bread. PROMITE Spread can also be used in soups, casseroles or gravy for added flavour. Simply add to hot water for a delicious, nutritious hot drink.

PROMITE Spread has a smooth texture with a unique taste which all the family will love. The taste is slightly sweeter than other yeast spreads.

PROMITE Spread is an excellent source of B Vitamins. In fact 5 grams of PROMITE Spread contains half the average daily requirements of B group vitamins.

5 grams of PROMITE Spread contains;
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.55mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.80mg
<LI>Niacin 5.50mg PROMITE Spread is available in 4 convenient pack sizes:
  • promitegroup2.jpg
  • 200g Jar
  • 290g Jar
  • 470g Jar

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/cookbook/keywordsearch.asp

Here is a picture of a jaffle maker. Looks like a version of a toaster.

BR-SG2300.jpg

That's right. They're basically a toasted sandwich. This recipe is for the campfire-styled jaffle iron, but you get the idea.

One could use a Foreman Grill, but the difference is that a Jaffle Iron seals the edges of the enclosed sandwich, creating a pocket.

The Trusty Jaffle
An old favourite, gleaned from many bushwalking club members! Can be eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner or any one of the above. Tasty and nutritious (depending what you put in them).

Ingredients:
Bread
Butter (or equivalent)
Fillings for the Jaffle - almost anything goes, but cheese, avocado and tomato go well for a basic jaffle. Fillings are only really limited by your imagination and what you are prepared to carry! What do you need?
1 jaffle iron (available at most outdoor stores)
Fire (available on most trips) Method:
Simply butter the outside of the bread and lay it in each half of the jaffle iron, fill with desired ingredients, close and hold in the fire until you decide it is ready to eat (generally when the bread is golden brown - depends on thickness, heat of fire etc).Gareth Edwards

blackdot.gif
blackdot.gif

Last edited:
According to both Kyles and another Aussie writer here, it is a similar (but in their eyes, superior...!) product to either the Aussie Vegemite or UK Marmite. If so.... just 'smear' it on the bread - don't add it in a thick layer! Think less is more.:)

Ishbel said:
just 'smear' it on the bread -:)

...then throw the bread away and eat a Tim Tam :mrgreen: However, I did like the Vegemite crackers - they tasted amazingly like Chicken In A Basket crackers. But maybe I just didn't spread the actual mixture on the bread thin enough - yea that's it, I'm sure :sick:

Well I ordered a dark chocolate tim tam and a light chocolate tim tam too. Unfortunately the chocolate is kinda sorta melted. I can eat half of one and it doesn't make me sick because of the sugar and even half melted, they are pretty good. :) :) :)

Thanks everybody for your info. I really appreciate it.

When using promite, remember the old adage, you can always add but you can't take away. Jaffles are a toasted sandwich. And the ajffle iron produces a pocket of nuclear cheese, ham and whater that is very hot, runs down your arms and makes a mess. I have used both a jaffle iron and foreman and prefer the latter.

My recipe suggestion is fresh wholewheat bread, lightly buttered a small smearing of promite on one side, grated carrot and grated cheese. Heavenly.

Or on buttered toast, yum!!!!

Or if you really hate it, send it to me!!!

It doesn't need to be refrigerated. After the nuclear holocaust, which only the cockroaches will survive, they will be able to live on the promite, it never goes off.

i haven't had promite, but i did get my 1st jar of vegemite for my birthday a few years ago and have loved it since first taste. it's so good. i put it on heavily buttered toast, just a dab.
i do know that vegemite, promite and marmite are all similar.
very high in b-vitamins, i've heard they're the most concentrated source of b-vitamins in the world. but i don't know if that holds true or not. they're a by-product of the brewing process.
just don't use too much!!!!!!!!! one of my favorite memories is of my Dad gulping down a big spoonful. that and the time he ate the wasabi. 'oh, how hot can it be?' he says, and rolls his eyes. tee-hee. i gave him a big spoonful of that and he learned very quickly just how hot wasabi can be.:-p :LOL: i'm such a brat.

LOL Oh Luvs I didn't think you had little horns on top of your head. I thought you were sweet natured. :devilish: :devilish:

My mum used to use a little bit of vegemite to flavour and darken gravy but i wouldn't use promite cause its sweeter. Just put it on hot toast with lots of butter YUM!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom