Question: Exercise Bike vs. a Treadmill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
I am contemplating buying an exercise bike. I was planning on getting the kind which you ride upright (like a regular bike, not the recumpent kind which lets you sit down).

The problem areas I want to target are my thighs, bum and lower waist. One of my friends says the exercise bike won't do anything to reduce my bum. :huh:
She says I should get a treadmill instead. I'd rather get the bike because 1) it takes up less room, 2) I'd be more prone to use it and 3) its less expensive.

The exercise bike I'm looking at is a Schwin, Sears has it on sale for $399. I don't want to throw $$ out the window, does anyone here use an exercise bike? Thoughts/comments/advice would be much appreciated.

I vote for getting what you would be more prone to use.

I struggle with sticking with any exercise program. Funny though, just this week I drug out my old taped tv shows of Body Electric. Now those exercizes work. They are muscle toning exercises and once you lose the body fat, nice muscles will appear. I suggest you do 3 things; eat healthy, aerobic exercise like the bike, and muscle toning.

Oh, I have a dusty exercise bike, too boring for me. I prefer my real bicycle.

I would undoubtedly go for a good spinning bike. It is designed to let you exercise in various positions, standard, running, crouching etc. which will give the routine more variety, and make your exercise more interesting and challenging. Instead of mapping out the program electronically at the beginning, you will adjust the resistence manually with a knob, depending on how you are feeling, or what you are doing, so you are in control. Accompanied with a good music to motivate you, it will give you really a enjoyable and rewarding training.

I would have to agree with going for what you are more prone to use more often. And I prefer a real bike as well. For $400 you can get a nice real bike. Then get into a local biking club to keep you motivated and find some good trails and places to ride.

I agree with what Beth said--what you will stick to. You may have to do other target exercises for problem areas. Those two will definitely get the cardio going however, for the first part of a good workout.

Anything you do will be better than nothing! There are specific exercises you can do (like lunges) that will specifically target the buns.

Thanks guys for all of the advice.
I have a real bike but unfortunately I don't get to ride it often. The weather here is crappy 6 + months out of the year, thats why I am thinking of getting an exercise bike.

I don't want to pile on any extra pounds this winter and the winter is when my exercise level goes down, down, down.

I have an exercise bike toots...
I swear every morning that I'll use it...
I lie to myself more than I tell the truth. Bad.

Get what you think you'll use. I think that a treadmill would be better exercise if you'll use it but... if you won't then it's a waste of money.

You can also look for ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Things like taking the stairs, parking as far as possible from where you are going, etc.

bike all the way

I have both and when I jog I would much rather be outside jogging
when the sun comes up. I tend to have a hard time doing it if I
don't do it right when I get out of bed. Also saves on water don't have
to shower in the morning and than again after I work out.

As for the bike I love mine I have a stationary airidine, I watch the cooking
chanel and think to myself I won't feel guilty if I just ride 10 mins more if I cook what they are making.:LOL: For some reason I rarely will use the treadmill.

When first starting out the bike will help your buns, my thoughts are just as
much as a treadmill will. The buns need leg lifts and squats this is what works for me. They say after sticking with something for three weeks it
becomes a habit. After starting and feeling better you won't want to quit.

Happy working out:clap:

Back
Top Bottom