Question of the Day - May 15th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
What is the silliest, goofiest cooking-related thing you have done?

Mine would have to be the time I served dinner on the table. No, ON the table, literally.

My ex used to have a way of picking at how things were said. I usually announced that the evening meal was ready by saying, "Dinner's on the table." He commented that it really wasn't on the table so why did I insist on saying it was. With that, the gauntlet was thrown.

The next evening, we had the entire meal served right on the table. No plates, no bowls, no serving plates/bowls. The only things that contained any part of the meal were the glasses that held the beverages. Silverware was set at each empty place.

Needless to say, it was a challenging and memorable meal. The children still talk about playing mashed potato and baby pea hockey.

My mother had her set meals but when it came to snacks she would ask if anyone had a favorite that she could buy while she was at the store. When she kept getting the answer "just get whatever is on sale", she started replying "it's all on sale." The new answer was "just get the usual." :LOL:

I love soft pretzels but don’t get to the fresh pretzel shop very frequently so I have a tendency of over purchase. I would usually want to frugally finish my goodies late at night because the next day they would be inedible. My grandfather taught me how to recycle a slightly stale soft pretzel by holding it over the gas burner on the stove. It takes tongs or a fork and a delicate hand to gently turn the pretzel to make sure it heats evenly and doesn’t get too burnt.

The “burnt” is the part that tastes pretty good but put me in deep doodoo with my wife. I would usually set off the smoke detector and the aroma of burning pretzel would summon my wife from a sound sleep thinking the house was ablaze. It took a while to extinguish the fire in her eyes as she glared at me. She stopped my habit by getting an electric cook top.

Another incident is when I was asked to make cookies for a charity event. I asked what kind they wanted me to make and they just said “BIG” cookies. I made some cookies that were about 12” and only got about three from a double batch of Toll House. I gave them the cookies and I could tell everyone thought I was over the edge with my gesture.

About a year later that I was walking thru a shopping mall when I noticed a display case filled with 12” decorated chocolate chip cookies. They were not cheap either.

Last edited:
I don't remember anything silly, but, mil did something one time. She used to raise Rottweillers and had a litter of pups that she docked tails and cropped ears on her own. She knew what she was doing, but, she cried and cried through the whole thing. Fil came home and was mad about no dinner and she flipped and said "Fine, you want dinner"? about 2 minutes later, he had a plate of puppy tails and ears in front of him!!! He left her alone the rest of the night and next day!! LOL

This really wasn't silly or goofy, just an old gotcha..We the DH and I have been retired now about a year. Things are good EXCEPT when I cook. At first it was a visit or three from dh while i was getting things out and preping. Then it was me trying not to step on his feet or bump into him as I worked. Then came the questions, why do you have to pound that thin peice of meat on the bread board? Wont it ruin the board? How come you haven't started the peas yet? Why are you cutting the potatoes that way..We also ran into the turn around and he's stirring the pots, upping or turning down the heat...In other words, his way or he got feelings hurt. Well, one day several weeks ago, I got a jump on him, I took out the meat, put it in the pan, set it on the table,did the same with the veggies, salad ingredients, butter and garlic for the bread..everything went on the table RAW,UNCOOKED!!!
In he comes when he sees the light on in the kitchen..I'm sitting with glass of ice tea..What, dinners not ready? No, I was just waiting for you to come and tell me when and how to cook it...:LOL: My, MY, but dinner out that night was so good..I've now have had several weeks of cooking all alone by myself..Ahhh, peace and quiet. And ya know what? I can do it too.And guess who eats it without a word except gee that was good.
kadesma:-p

Kades, I love your story. I could picture the two of you doing the "cooking" dance in the kitchen. Hilarious mental image. Love your gotcha!

Amazing, isn't it, how you were able to get along fine doing the cooking before you retired?:rolleyes:

My son, who is now 21, has always had a thing for mashed potatoes. In fact, when he was a baby, he ate a mashed potato almost every day for 2 years. While he's gotten better at enjoying a meal that didn't contain mashed potatoes, I have to say it's easily his favourite food.
It's unwise to ever suggest that I'm going to make mashed potatoes, and then, for some untoward reason, simply not get to it. I may as well not serve anything.....
Three years ago, I did just that.
I mentioned that I was making meatloaf and mashed poatoes for dinner. As it got later, I changed the menu to baked potatoes, instead. I'd had a long hot day in one kitchen, and didn't relish coming home to another. When I placed the baked potato on his plate, he immediately commented (although whined was more accurate) about the missing mashed potato. That was all I had to hear......
I took his baked potato from the plate and placed it on the table. I proceeded to slam my fist into the potato, smashing it completely. I said "there, now you have mashed potatoes". With that, I excused myself from the dinner table and retired to the bathroom. See, the potato was so hot from the oven that I burned the side of my forearm!

The moment will live on in family history forever.:ohmy:

Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom

I forgot step 2 :furious:
ouch !

I was 16. I made a box mix of banana bread. The directions said to Mix By Hand...and that I did. All 10 digits went right into the bowl.

Katie E said:
Kades, I love your story. I could picture the two of you doing the "cooking" dance in the kitchen. Hilarious mental image. Love your gotcha!

Amazing, isn't it, how you were able to get along fine doing the cooking before you retired?:rolleyes:
:LOL: Thanks Katie,
we did look pretty silly doing the two step while stirring the soup:-p
Oh of course, while he was still working he was in CHARGE at our pharmacy.. and at work, I did follow his direction, in the kitchen, he now knows just what you use a big large spatula for:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

I suppose the silliest thing I ever did was when I was preparing a big dinner for several family members. My mother in law was living with us since she was too sick too live on her own, but she sat at the kitchen table and watched me as I prepared. I was making potato salad on the counter on one side of the sink and fruit salad on the other. I had forgotten to put the coconut out and went to the fridge, got it out and dumped some in the potato salad. We both laughed so hard we had tears in our eyes. I tried to get the coconut out, but some was still there. Nobody asked for my recipe!

I would first like to thank Katie E for the question!!:)

ok so the silliest thing that was ever done in our kitchen didn't happen to me, it happened to my sister.
she was making jello and the recipe said to pour the boiling water into the jello mix. but her, being new to cooking poured the jello mix right into kettle of boiling water!
well let's just say....we didn't have much jello that day:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom