Rachel Ray/Dog Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
since I am sick w/flu, watched tv today and heard Rachel Ray announce she is putting out new line of dog food. Ingredients are supposed to be ones that are familiar to people, ho ho ho! Also all proceeds from the sale of this food will go to animal shelters etc. pertaining to helping animals. How good is that? I got so happy wanted to share this news with you and get your comments about if you have seen it, tried it, and your thoughts. I am overjoyed that this lady feels so strongly about dogs the way I do. Reaches right to my heart. She also cut her hair since I last saw her. TV is something I do not watch until all my work is done.

Just thought you would share my feeling.

since I am sick w/flu, watched tv today and heard Rachel Ray announce she is putting out new line of dog food. Ingredients are supposed to be ones that are familiar to people, ho ho ho! Also all proceeds from the sale of this food will go to animal shelters etc. pertaining to helping animals. How good is that? I got so happy wanted to share this news with you and get your comments about if you have seen it, tried it, and your thoughts. I am overjoyed that this lady feels so strongly about dogs the way I do. Reaches right to my heart. She also cut her hair since I last saw her. TV is something I do not watch until all my work is done.

Just thought you would share my feeling.

She cut her hair?! :ohmy:
:LOL:

Let me go look up the ingredients.....

Its already in the stores ITK-I bought some at Wal-Mart about 3 weeks ago, dog seemed to enjoy it. In all fairness though, I've seen that dog eat a lot of things..........well. lets not go there........

Its called "Nutrish" (go figure:LOL:) and it was priced comparitively to other premium brands. Like you, I was happy that a part of the proceeds went to "no-Kill" animal shelters.

I know that RR gets on a lot of peoples nerves, but I've always liked her. So bubbly and pleasant, I'll bet shes just as nice in person. I am happy for her success!!!

Yum-o!! Dee-lish!!!

"Beef, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate,....."

Taken from the first few lines on one of the products.

Beef. By itself not as good as it sounds. You would rather have it say beef meal, like the second ingredient chicken meal. Meal is the term used to mean after it has been processed down into a useable protein source. Just saying beef or chicken is the whole wet weight of the ingredients before they become useable. This probably drops beef down to the fourth or fifth ingredient.

Chicken meal. This is good. This is going to be the main protein source in the food. They should just call the food Chicken something instead of Beef something.

Brewers rice. Just what it sounds like. The left over garbage rice from breweries.

Corn meal. Corn can be considered a protein source and counted in the label, it's just too bad dogs can't digest corn, or any vegetable for that matter. Their digestive tracts are too short. Corn is also one of the big three things in food that dogs can be allergic to. Another is....

Soybean meal. See corn meal. Same thing.

Animal fat. You always want the "animal" the fat came from identified, such as "chicken fat". Not identifying the source means it is probably not something you would eat yourself. BTW, poultry fat fits in this category also. You always want to see the specific animal source they got the fat from.

Corn gluten meal. The liquid from corn, but it's still corn and still one of the most common ingredients that cause allergies in dogs.

Brown rice. Yay. This is good, too. Even from a minute rice eater like me :rolleyes:

Oatmeal. No comment. Probably put in as a binder to hold everything together and I can't say anything bad about it.

Dried beet pulp. If a good food uses beet pulp it will always say "sugar removed". That said, while some people thinks beet pulp adds needed enzymes to the lower digestive tract, most people feel beet pulp is added to dog food as a stool tightener, because something in the dog food is causing loose stools.

Natural flavor. What? All these yummo ingredients couldn't produce any flavor on their own? :huh:

And the rest is in such small amounts they aren't all that important, so I don't bother keeping up with them all.

I'd have to say that RR, while may have had a good cause in mind, researched her dog food ingredients in what, maybe all of 30 minutes?

:wacko:

I thought she said that all profits went to the shelters. Maybe, I heard incorrectly. In any case, anything that helps animal shelters I try to support.

First, I have nothing against RR, and I have also learned that DC has a no bashing policy when it comes to food celebs, so lets play nice. Don't ask how I learned of this policy.

I don't know anything about dog food or what makes it good or not-so-good, but I do know that nothing is ever at it appears on the surface. Just because a person offers to give "all the profits" to an organization or cause, does not prohibit the person from receiving a "salary" in connection with work performed or for promotion of the product or service. Salaries are considered an expense associated with the business, and are deducted from gross sales before determining "profit," so the greater the expenses the lower the profit. The same holds true for "Not-For-Profit" businesses. Salaries reduce profit, but are often a necessary part of the business venture.

In short, she's not going to miss a meal by donating the "Profits" to a worthwhile cause benefiting animals, and she's more than likely benefiting financially from this new RR venture. This is not bad, and is what made this country great. But I'd be very surprised if she's started this new venture without making a buck at it.

JoeV

Even if it says the ingredients are better than other brands, they aren't - anything that goes into animal food are things that are deemed unfit for human consumption, and get analyzed then bought up by animal food companies. If I can afford it, when I get a cat in our new house, I'm going to buy the most natural food I can find.. because the majority of the stuff on the shelves is not natural or tasty.

I saw it in the grocery store and I was amazed that her name was on yet another grocery item. At least the dog food doesn't cost 2 or 3 times as much as the other varieties of dog food. Unlike the Rachel Ray EVOO.

Back
Top Bottom