Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrek and I made our last donation to ten people on the last Angel tree we could find today.

We also purchased 20 bags of food for the Food Bank today.

This will be my first Christmas off from work in 10 years. We are going to devote our day at the Poverello Center, our local "soup kitchen," cooking and serving food.

We've been very fortunate this year after a windfall of tax free money. We've been sharing with the community, since before Thanksgiving...unfortunately, my Very Dear Mother-in-Law died in order for us to enjoy this largess. I miss her terribly.

Last edited:
I think you can do something no matter where you are. It can be as simple as saying something nice to someone who needs a pick me up on here.

A little thing I try to do, when I see someone unloading their cart - at the grocery or home improvement store, etc. - is ask if I can take their cart back for them. So often there's no good place to leave the empty cart. Usually people seem pleased not to have to deal with their empty, especially young Moms who have just buckled their youngster in. And if I am finished unloading my cart, if I see someone with a toddler that needs to ride in the cart, I offer my empty.

At the risk of boring you to death (snxxxx) with regard to shopping carts......... That's how I found my handyman at the Lowe's parking lot. After shopping one day, I was sitting, checking my list, when a fellow across the lane started unloading his cart. His truck door had his phone number with a note about his handyman business. I happened to be in need of a handyman for a couple of small odd jobs. After unloading, he walked his empty cart back to the store. I decided that here was a good guy, and copied down his number, which I later used and was pleased with his work and with my decision based on so small a thing.

Complimented a lady on her pin today. Picked up a lucky penny and handed it to a random stranger in the parking lot. He looked at me like I was nuts but he took it anyway. :LOL:

Yesterday I directed an older couple who were lost in the grocery store. They found me later and thanked me for my very specific directions.

Changed a tire for a lady today....The fact that she was a drop dead gorgeous brunette had nothing to do with it...No matter what you think.:cool:

Holy moly UB, thats gotta be good enough to get you to the New Year! Nice work. (And doing the job is all that matters, the "scenery" is just you being good to YOU!)

The young man who bagged my groceries today, was a very pleasant sort and I pushed my cart out while he walked alongside. When we got the groceries in the car I helped him gather the carts in that end of the lot. He asked me to come back anytime and help.:ROFLMAO: After he thanked me!

Does it count if I took a heavy sack of booze from an elderly gentleman and carried them to his car?

I didn't want Shrek to slip and fall on the ice and break my bottle of rum...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm happy to join the group. I'm not a big one for giving big bucks to big charities, but every ear I throw a Christmas party when I invite my friends to bring me food for the foot bank. Then a number of years ago, an acquaintance asked us to buy stuff for sngle women with kids at a shelter. So now she helps me with the food bank, and I help her with the shelter.

I have to tell you, the time I spent today buying scarves and mittens, coats and socks and shoes and some Barbie doll clothes did more for me than any of the stuff I could buy for my (to me) overindulged family.

Does it count if I took a heavy sack of booze from an elderly gentleman and carried them to his car?

I didn't want Shrek to slip and fall on the ice and break my bottle of rum...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL!!! I'm telling that you called him ELDERLY!

I'm happy to join the group. I'm not a big one for giving big bucks to big charities, but every ear I throw a Christmas party when I invite my friends to bring me food for the foot bank. Then a number of years ago, an acquaintance asked us to buy stuff for sngle women with kids at a shelter. So now she helps me with the food bank, and I help her with the shelter.

I have to tell you, the time I spent today buying scarves and mittens, coats and socks and shoes and some Barbie doll clothes did more for me than any of the stuff I could buy for my (to me) overindulged family.

Good for you Claire. Its so nice to see the sparkle in someone's eyes and know that it wouldn't have been there without your efforts.

Definitely Eye-Candy..

Tis the season. Was it Eye-Candy-Cane? :cool:

Well, I have to admit I've not done much lately. My only excuse is that I've been in the house most of the last week or so. Only ventured out when ABSOLUTELY necessary as it is danged cold out there! The only nice things I've done have really been for family.

My oldest daughter has been a bit blue the last few weeks. She didn't much want to go to work tonight. I made her a lunch to take with her and sneaked in a few Lindt balls to make her smile when she opens her lunch. Hope that makes her happy.

One day this past year I was going into Wal-Mart to do my weekly shopping, and in the handicapped slot was an older woman trying to get her husband into a (Wal-Mart) supplied wheelchair. The thing is that the brakes on the wheelchair did not work at all, and one of the foot pads wouldn't stay in the upright position. The woman had a belt on her husband, but was having one heck of a time getting him from her car to the wheelchair. The chair would slide backwards, or he'd trip over the foot rest before he could sit. So, being quite tall and muscular for a woman, I stepped up and helped her get her husband into the wheelchair. It was quite a maneuver, but because of my height advantage, I could stand behind the chair and keep it from rolling backwards, reach over and hold up the foot rest so he could back into the chair. Between the two of us we got him belted into the chair and she took it from there. Told me that I did my good deed for the week. I did go back in and talk to someone: If you're going to supply wheelchairs, then make sure they are in functioning condition. I'm sure the problem with the wheelchair could have been fixed by almost any handiman with a wrench in a matter of a few minutes.

To me it is seeing a need and meeting it. Some are big on financial contributions, and I don't have a problem with that, really, as long as you know what you're giving and to whom it is going. I like this line because, to me, it isn't tooting your horn, but helping others to see a need and fill it when they can. I'm pretty tall for a gal (5'9"), and not a lightweight, but also strong. Sometimes it is just that I'm walking through the grocery store and someone in a wheelchair is looking up, or for that matter, someone just short (however you want to put it) and with limited shoulder mobility, and it is just noticing it and asking what they want off the top shelf.

I haven't been doing much of my actual job this week. End of the year scramble to get physical inventories done all over the facility. I've been all over "teaching" people how to do inventories, quicker and easier than they were doing.

I actually found someone counting q-tips...by hand...not only are they contaminated...but...well duh!! Put on gloves, we have one or two hundred boxes of those, pick up 20 q-tips and see how they feel in your hand, then count handfuls. Not exact, but I bet it's very close.

Long story short, I've had a hand in each department, re-working the inventory methods and everyone is happy. We are done 1 day early and now we can have fun tomorrow.

i am avoiding spending $$ on items i would've luved, so as 2 get my new sister gifts~

As a random act of kindness, do something nice for yourself. You'll appreciate having done it and it makes you feel better about yourself.

My daughter tells me to "Turn off your sign!" because people always stop to ask me things or chat with me. She says I have a sign that says "talk to me" over my head. LOL! (She has the same one she is realizing! I love karma!)

Anyway, apparently my sign works even when I'm driving. I got waved at by a guy at a stop light and gave him directions. Poor guy was a bit frazzled. That's about the best I've got at the moment. I'm going to please my daughter today by finding her a phone to use while hers is in for repair. She's 14 and the lack of texting is just about killing her. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom