Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aw, you still have the cute ladybugs (or ladybirds, like the old Nursery rhyme; or ladybeetles, like we called them in OH since they really are "beetles") that are more red and have fewer dots. That kind here got upstaged by a different variety that is a little bigger, more orange, full of dots...and stinks to high heaven when you squish one. If you want more pictures, just come visit us. We have them crawling all over the inside of our east- and south-facing windows. There have been times we have dozens swarming all over a window. *sigh* Still, you took a really nice pic. ;)

Like this one, CG? I took this pic around the same time, they do look a little different. At least they all keep the aphid population down on my flowers. :ermm::LOL:
We don't have them all over windows, though....I wouldn't like that either.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a picture but a couple of things the above posts bought to mind.
When our son was in preschool he came home proudly announcing that he knew how to spell "Indian". I thought that was quite advanced for a preschooler until he said "NDN".
Also we had a picture of him in a little sunsuit. I kept that all through the years. When his son was about the same age, I mailed it to our son. He took a picture of his son wearing the same sunsuit. Then when he outgrew it, he sent it back to me for safekeeping. I suppose you can tell the previous posts got me remembering things from our past.

The Monarchs have been busy -- this is a Monarch caterpillar on a milkweed stem. The little green balls to his right are frass, the butterfly word for poop.

The Monarchs have been busy -- this is a Monarch caterpillar on a milkweed stem. The little green balls to his right are frass, the butterfly word for poop.

That's a really nice pic, tinlizzie. I've been seeing some Monarchs around here lately. :)

Monarch caterpillars can frass all over my milkweed, or anything else. Have at it, little guys!

Thanks, folks. Here's some more information on Monarchs -- a Google site expained that as the caterpillar progresses in its stages, each phase is called an 'instar.' After eating constantly until reaching its full size, the caterpillar suspends itself in a 'J' shape, which lasts for only a day or so before it turns into the chrysalis, like the one on the right. Sad to say, that one, which began as an emerald green with golden dots, just turned black and never progressed to a hatch. The next one did, though.

Oooo, CW - talkin' dirty! :ohmy:

In the realm of worms turning into butterflies, when we first hear of it as children, it seems so astonishing. Most of our adulthoods (speaking for myself, here), we take it for granted. Seems like in our 'golden years' we are astonished anew by the miraculous process. :)

Thanks Taxy! We miss her so much when we travel to Cozumel. I'd have to starve 2 pounds off her to be able to shove her under the seat, and she abhores water, so it wouldn't be a good experience for her. She travels well in the car though.

Back
Top Bottom