Real Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fortunate to get the real stuff when we see my wife’s family in VT. It’s cool to get it from a small producer at a really good price.

You probably know that it takes a lot of energy & time to boil the sap down to a syrup. Something I learned recently is that some producers use a reverse osmosis filtration system to cut this step in half.

Guessing you haven't tapped maple trees and evap'd the sap. Totally different than Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.

I realize that there is a difference, but not enough to justify paying at least 10 times more for it - real maple syrup is a luxury that I feel is overrated. Then too, we don't have many sugar maple trees in Colorado... as far as I know the number is zero.

I made maple sugar candy in elementary school when I was a kid in Minnesota, but even then the teacher got the sap from somewhere... we didn't tap the trees for it.

And Log Cabin is quite different from Mrs. Butterworth. I don't care for Mrs. Butterworth at all. Log Cabin is my pancake syrup of choice.

Last edited:
You all realize that maple syrup is maple syrup and that other stuff is just fake wannabe maple syrup. I hate dragging the buckets of sap up the hill just so my Dad can have maple syrup. Wanna hear about my pulled hamstring? My dear xDH and I tapped sugar and silver maple trees. We also tapped birch trees. Yeah, it is pricey for a reason. We call it "real" for a reason too. Although, we don't call it "real". There are those of you who have Meyer lemon trees, avocado trees, etc. We ain't got those up north, but we have sugar maples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom