Rebuild New Orleans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebuild New Orleans?

• Huh? Gabrielle from Desperate Housewives is all I care about!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Should we rebuild New Orleans or move the city to higher ground? Now PLEASE...... think about what it would take to do so. Think about the history and effort. The lives and the memories. Also think about the benefits of it all.

Why though? Do you have any idea the amount of contamination that is there? Build soem where else? Sounds good if they were to, but do you know the cost that would be? Do you know who would foot the bill? Would people want that kind of memory? Lots to consider. I know if I was living there when this disaster struck I would want to leave it barried....why relive it? There was good and now there is really really bad. Some things are meant to be......

Oh I should say as well, PLEASE dont think Im cold hearted cause I'm not, I just think some things happen for a reason..............

I vote to build on higher ground with no dependence on a levy system. I think it would be a crime to rebuild below sea level. What hte heck were they all thinking when they built there anyway?

On higer ground how could it remain New Orleans, which is known for it's shipping trade? I believe that's why it was put there in the first place, wasn't it?

BC

Even if it were just for the ports, Im sure they can just have it as that...why build a HUGE city so close? As for a sea wall...like you said, expensive yes, but evacuees over and over...hmmmm....

I beleive rebuilding New Orleans will be in vain. There will be more hurricanes and ocean levels will continue to rise. A wise man builds his house on a rock not under sea level and the cost to raise the city would be astronomical I would imagine. We cannot afford to keep rebuilding people's homes who choose to live next to flood zones in coastal regions.

I really agree with building on higher ground but I very much doubt they will wait long enough to do it, So a double or triple Berm system will be the next best thing!:ohmy: :wacko:

I vote to build on higher ground with no dependence on a levy system. I think it would be a crime to rebuild below sea level. What hte heck were they all thinking when they built there anyway?
There were probably drinking a hurricane....... errrrrr.....:ermm: nevermind.
21.gif

Of course New Orleans must be rebuilt. I am not going through the rest of my life without Jackson Square, the antique shops on Magazine Street, the little jazz record store in the French Quarter, Central Grocery muffaletas, Destrehan Plantation, the wonderful musicians, the fabulous old buildings (hope they can save them), shotgun houses, and the D-Day museum. Did I mention the food?

mudbug said:
Of course New Orleans must be rebuilt. I am not going through the rest of my life without Jackson Square, the antique shops on Magazine Street, the little jazz record store in the French Quarter, Central Grocery muffaletas, Destrehan Plantation, the wonderful musicians, the fabulous old buildings (hope they can save them), shotgun houses, and the D-Day museum. Did I mention the food?

They can move all that to higher ground. Let me say this. It would be rediculous to rebuild.

Bangbang said:
What hte heck were they all thinking when they built there anyway?
When the city was built it was not below sea level. that happened over time as the city sank a little bit each year.

I vote to rebuild. I see both sides of the argument, but what I keep coming back to are that no matter where a city is there are things that can happen. Should we relocate the state of CA because they might be devastated by "The Big One"? the Earthquake WILL happen some day. It is just a matter of time. New England is on a major fault line as well and could also have a devastating earthquake, maybe even moreso than CA since we are not used to then or prepared for then anywhere near the way the West coast is. The is always dangers no matter where you live. Yes the dangers are greater for New Orleans since they are below sea level so I can understand the people who say rebuild higher. I think that knowing what we know now we have th opportunity to build better and smarter. That is not to say that something like this would not happen again, but at least we would be better prepared.

I couldn't have said it much better than GB. New Orleans must be rebuilt. The historical significance alone demands that the city be preserved as best as possible, IMO.

GB said:
Should we relocate the state of CA because they might be devastated by "The Big One"? the Earthquake WILL happen some day. It is just a matter of time.

Yes.....start now and we will save millions of lives. This is a developers dream. The people can relocate to Nevada.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom