Reclining your seat when flying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it rude to recline your seat in an airplane?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"....For that reason I do not recline my seat...and buddy you better not either!! :glare: ~~ Exceptions made for drop dead gorgeous red heads....or brunettes, or an occasional blonde:LOL:

P.S. To my above post.......

I have to have a window seat, as it helps my claustrophobia to be able to look out. With the front seats relined it's nearly impossible to manage to get out, especially if there are three seats across to the isle. Grrrrrrr

If it is going to inconvenience the person behind you, I wouldn't exactly call it rude, but it would be impolite. Rude seems to harsh because like mentioned, they recline for a reason.
However, I do find it very rude to only think of yourself. Obviously I had a different upbringing than some folks. That is probably why some areas of the US have stereotypes, or a general way the people are perceived.

Oh, and don't be taken your smelly shoes off either, lol.

Oh, and don't be taken your smelly shoes off either, lol.

During the 1960s and early 70s, first class passengers used to get terry-cloth socks and encouraged to take off their shoes to relax. Of course people didn't look as if they were on a day outing on a Tijuana tour bus either! They wore dresses and suits when they traveled. Snacks, meals and non-alcoholic beverages were free and meal service was on china and you used REAL silverware. (sigh!)

During the 1960s and early 70s, first class passengers used to get terry-cloth socks and encouraged to take off their shoes to relax. Of course people didn't look as if they were on a day outing on a Tijuana tour bus either! They wore dresses and suits when they traveled. Snacks, meals and non-alcoholic beverages were free and meal service was on china and you used REAL silverware. (sigh!)

In the '60s & early '70s, I used to look forward to the meals on SAS! And that was in coach. There was only coach or 1st class back then.

That brings a question to mind... would you rather someone take off their sandals, or their shoes?
Give me the sandal person. I know those feet have been aired out.

That brings a question to mind... would you rather someone take off their sandals, or their shoes?
Give me the sandal person. I know those feet have been aired out.

Back in the '60s, a lot of people would point and hold their noses when they saw a man wearing sandals :ermm: :LOL:

I think that feet need to be enclosed to get stinky.

I wouldn't say reclining was rude, but if I felt someone was bothered by my reclining my seat, I'd tell them nicely that I needed to rest a bit. We are paying for that privalege why not use it if possible?
kadesma

I don't think its necessarily rude, but I try not to recline until the point of the flight where everyone is trying to sleep because I know how much it irritates me.

If its a short haul flight however I don't see why you need to recline. Most chairs in peoples offices and homes don't recline so I'm pretty sure people can go 2 hours or so sitting in an upright position, that way no one imposes on anyone else's space.

I take the train. It might be a long trip, but it is relatively inexpensive, I don't have to show up two hours early so that I can be submitted to a cavity search. In fact, I pretty much get to keep all my clothes on unless I decide to remove them. I can bring up to 5 pieces of luggage free fer nuthin, nobody wants to search them, no dogs arte going to sniff them, and they are all readily available to me if I need something from them. There is no limit on the size of any of the toiletries I bring with me. None of the employees I come in contact with before, during or after the trip work for the TSA, so there is no chance of an abuse of power. I can bring all the food and beverages I wish, including alcohol, and I have more room than the the average first class airplane seat in which to enjoy these libations. I do not need to EVER be strapped into my seat and no one ever tells me to turn off any electronic device at any time during the trip. I can move around the entire train at my leisure without having to worry about being pinned to the overhead by unexpected turbulence, and if I don't like my traveling companions, I can always proceed to the observation car and check out the goings on in your average American's backyard. Unfortunately, they don't have Frequent Railroading Miles.

Last edited:
More and more people I talk to love taking the train for just those reasons you said, Loin. It's too bad they don't really save you time from driving, let alone flying.

I remember a guy behind me going ape sh-t because I reclined half way on a 3 hr. flight to Mexico. I am almost 6 feet tall, and he was shorter than me. His wife and kid were totally embarrassed and kept trying to shut him up. Flight attendant intervened, and I put my headphones on.

I take the train. In fact, I am going to San Francisco on the train next week-end. It might be a long trip, but it is relatively inexpensive, I don't have to show up two hours early so that I can be submitted to a cavity search, and in fact, I pretty much get to keep all my clothes on unless I decide to remove them.

I can bring up to 5 pieces of luggage free fer nuthin, nobody wants to search them, no dogs are going to sniff them, and they are all readily available to me if I need something from them. There is no limit on the size of any of the toiletries I bring with me. None of the employees I come in contact with before, during or after the trip work for the TSA, so there is no chance of an abuse of power. I can bring all the food and beverages I wish, including alcohol, and I have more room than the average first class airplane seat in which to enjoy these libations. If you decide to not bring your own meals, the train has both a snack bar where you can buy hot or cold sandwiches, snacks, and beverages, including beer and wine, or a dining car that serves complete hot breakfasts, lunches, and dinners prepared by a chef and his kitchen crew and served by white coated wait staff.

I do not need to EVER be strapped into my seat and no one ever tells me to turn off any electronic device at any time during the trip. I can move around the entire train at my leisure without having to worry about being pinned to the overhead by unexpected turbulence, and if I don't like my traveling companions, I can always proceed to the observation car and check out the goings on in your average American's backyard. Unfortunately, they don't have Frequent Railroading Miles.

Last edited:
Hard to get to Mexico by train. Though I did go to Padre Island back in the '80s, 15 hours late, but sheer luxury compared to flying now.

i agree with june. it's not rude. the seats are meant to recline, same as on a commuter bus. but you should give the fellow behind you a heads up before you drive their knees up into their folding tray.

More and more people I talk to love taking the train for just those reasons you said, Loin. It's too bad they don't really save you time from driving, let alone flying.

It's only a couple of hours longer than if I drove to SF, but when I get there, I don't have to pay for two rooms; one for me and one for the car. There's no free parking at any hotel I know of. The only way to get a parking space in San Francisco is to buy a parked car!

I take the train. In fact, I am going to San Francisco on the train next week-end. It might be a long trip, but it is relatively inexpensive, I don't have to show up two hours early so that I can be submitted to a cavity search, and in fact, I pretty much get to keep all my clothes on unless I decide to remove them.
So Sir Loin, this means you aren't really a doorman that the Sir Francis Drake Hotel?? :ROFLMAO:

I love taking the train up to San Francisco, it's the only way to fly.

I must recline the seat, for any length of flight. I have short legs and that small amount the seat moves forward lets me get my feet braced without hanging my butt off the edge of the seat. If I can't brace my feet they dangle and my lower legs go to sleep...not really a good thing as it will also cause DVT's.

And yes, I look out for my comfort first...who else is going to?:wacko:

I honestly don't think it is rude at all. The person in front of me has just as much right to recline their seat in front of me! I haven't flown in a long time, but I never saw it as much problem for me or anyone around me back in the 70's and 80's when I did a lot of flying.

i would think it can only be considered rude if you forcefully jam your seat back to it's maximum reclination without warning the jam-ee.

Back
Top Bottom