Refreshing dog treat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I see a couple threads on refreshing foods for us as these "dog days" of summer approach/are here already, and thought I would share this refreshing treat for dogs. Although I suppose we could eat it, too, if we had a mind to.... :ermm:
Someone told me that this is what he gives his retired sled dogs, who stay in his barn, to keep them cool. He calls it "weenie water".
You take a hot dog and put it in a small cup of water, then freeze it. Half of the hot dog is exposed. To give the dogs you squeeze the wiener and chunk of ice out of the cup.
I don't know that you would want your dog munching on this in the middle of the living room, but I thought it sounded kind of neat, and cheap, too.
No reason the poochies can't enjoy a refreshing appetizer throughout the day, too :)

Forgot to add; of course you could freeze anything in the cup to get your dog's interest up, bananas, carrots, whatever they like.

Last edited:
My sister found Pupsicles in the frozen food section. It looks like ice cream in those little cups. Our dogs love those!

Yeah, I knew there were commercial versions of frozen dog treats. I thought this homemade style was kinda neat. And it's only water if the dog does eat it on the carpet.

Anyone ever buy those Beggin' Strips?

I swear, everytime I smell those things I want to jam a handfull in my yap. :angel: The smell great!

Dang dog has got The Life.:glare:

It's that bacon thing again, us men can't resist it! And they do have a wonderful bacon smell, almost hate giving them to the dogs instead of eating them all myself, but lord knows the taste would never justify the smell!! LOL.

Pupperoni is my favorite smelling dog treat, but yeah, the beggin strips smell good, too.

A vet once suggested that we freeze cherry tomatoes and hand them out as snacks. The tomatoes are good for them, being frozen keeps them from being messy and cools them off.

The tomoatoe replace electrolytes lost in the heat.

Love the hot dog idea.

AC

My dog will eat pretty much anything but she's not much on tasting or savoring the flavor. She pretty much inhales everything. But one of my cats loves asparagus and I think I'll try the frozen thing for him. If I just froze a spear in a little bit of water, I think he'd get a kick out of it. He already like to bat ice cubes around on the kitchen floor.

It would be like the Tootsie Roll Pop and the Owl...
Lick
lick
Lick
CRUNCH!!!!!!!

All done. LOL

I did this today. Only made one mistake, I did not have the camera ready, LOL!! I will freeze a couple more tonight and this time have the camera ready.
To describe it, the little white dog Princess spent half the day just walking around with the hot dog in her mouth, frozen part dangling. The Beagle was pretty much described by GF, LOL.

Cool. Looking forward to the pics.
It's 60 here. Nobody needs anything to keep them cool.

Back
Top Bottom