Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Well, I ask you people about everything so here goes. The fridge in the basement is not keeping the food cold. The smell of bad food is really a shock. I am quite upset and would like to know what are your thoughts on kind of fridge to look for. I presently have side by side Amana 25' that is already 10 years old. I want to move that in the basement and buy one for kitchen. What are your suggestions. This 25' sure is not got room. Thanks for understanding and hope you can help me make up my mind. I would probably go to one store and buy whatever they tell me. Last time I bought this fridge I was going through divorce and I didn't even look in the box just told him to deliver it. I couldn't believe I did that. Also bought dryer salesperson suggested. Talk about dumb. I was just grateful I had refridgerator to put food in. Then my ex helps himself to food without asking anything. Times I feel like I am just watching a movie and I have no part in it. Hope I haven't gotten you confused because I am upset.

I would look at several, figure out exactly what features fits your needs/lifestyle, energy rating, budget range, warranty.

Remember the salesman will try to sell you the most expensive thing with all the bells and whistles (which may a bunch of stuff you paid for but never use). They are working on commission, bonus or sales quotas.

itk did you have the fridge looked at yet? maybe it just needs to be cleaned or charged with freon? if not just go with the basic fridge. it doesn't have to be anything fancy. and STAND YOUR GROUND with them sales people

If I had it to do over I would go for the freezer in the bottom and NOT a side by side fridge. There sure isn't any room in those..I do love the water and ice on the door though.
Dove

Thank You

I feel like one has to prepare for battle here. Your comments are so appreciated. As you mentioned, the sales people will point out features that you may not use. I just don't care for them hovering around when you are trying to see what will work for the family. I agree Dove and I thank you for pointing that out about the room. Side by side sure doesn't have room. May look big on outside but like trying to fit in girdle when you keep stuff in there. I will surely keep that in mind and thank you. The one in basement is gone and I have food in there that I am holding my breath doesn't spoil. The potatoes I wanted to use had turned black. They were in there only one day. Did they shock me? YOu better believe it. To have to throw the stuff out bothers me. Like having a boss tell you not doing good job. Do I take things too personal? Main objective when you use food is to salvage as much as you can. My mother would have been upset to throw food out. She would even use bread to clean the plate. Being wasteful is so upsetting. That is why I have to get something fairly quickly. Just so the one in kitchen doesn't give me trouble. It is just like having house on fire. I am sure you are all well aquainted with this feeling. Your comments are sure important to me. Thank you all. How do you feel about box with two doors and freezer at the bottom? I read some comments here once before but I am too upset to look for them.

What is the reason for two doors besides costing more? I haven't looked at these so I don't know. My side by side wouldn't hold a turkey if I cut off his legs,wings etc. The reason I have for the bottom freezer is "how many times a day do you open your freezer (top freezer) compaired to the fridge?" asked my son's MIL. It takes a lot of bending to find something in the fridge if the freezer is on top...or side by side.
Dove

Dove

What kind of brand do you prefer Kenmore they say that is made by Whirlpool or Whirlpool? They also talked about GE but I don't know if they are as good as they used to be. I am trying to calm down and just think about the fridge instead of the food I stll have in the broken fridge. I don't open the door after discovering it is not cooling. They say the biggest fridge with freezer on bottom is 22'. I could use double that amount but then I would be extravagant. I don't think they can ever be too big. Thanks for relating to the problem. I know I will have to pay more than $1000. I was hoping I could some day get new windows but now this.

I've been told that only two company's make thr ref. no matter what name is on them.

What we usually do is check out the Consumers Guide (the library has them) and always end up going to Sears..they carry different ones now. I have the Whrlpool Gold now.I've had it about 3 years and the only prob. I've had is the water on the door leaked..they fixed it with a new one and now it leaks. I keep a little plastic glass under it and live with it.
Dove

Dove

Sorry to hear about your aggravation. Nothing is perfect the way it once was. What do you think causes all this defective appliances? They carry 25' Amana with bottom freezer that really looks like something I could use. I wish I could buy 2-3 of them. When I go to store I want to buy everything. Like you with dripping water, all of my things have something not right. I used to buy things from estate sales that were old and lasted long time. The box I have is Hotpoint over 60 years old. Was my mothers. Did I say this before? Just amazes me the age. Have to give up sometime I guess. Wonder how my mom worked with it when she had so many in the family.

Sears is a pretty good. They usually stand behind their product. Check out warrantee/guarantee policies. Re brand names -- personally, I will never go with Maytag from a bad experience. Home came with a Maytag built-in Microwave. The handle snapped/cracked, & it took six months & several visits from Maytag to fix the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I am not a fan of buying their warranties because most everything is already covered. It's not like if you don't buy you aren't going to have a warranty.

I like Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot. We have a lot of Kenmore appliances and Whirlpool. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. You just have to look for what you can live with. If you have a large platter that you would LIKE to put in your fridge but can't now measure it and see if it fits in one at the store. I will NEVER have a side by side again - even the offset ones, though that does help!!!

Too many bells and whistles are just more bells and whistles to malfunction (some of them anyway - not necessarily all of them). You'll do fine ITK - you want me to keep the X out of your fridge??? I'll be glad to!!!!!!!!!! Mine doesn't get in the fridge he just comes in and uses my child to break doors (now THAT went over well). :glare:

kitchenelf

Looks like you know what I am talking about! What kind do you have now? Is it one with the freezer on the bottom? I am sorry to be so ignorant but unless you have experience with these you have no clue what to expect. As Dove suggested she would get freezer on the bottom. DidI tell you they have 25' Amana with freezer on the bottom? These things are not something you can return unless you really want a headache with the company and saving your food. I am so not looking forward to all this. I do hate this side by side. Although the salesman said it has same room as the one with freezer on the bottom. Is he telling me the truth? I will always uphold someone who is honest with me. I think this is dying art don't you?

jokeodayhead.gif

Man: Doctor, my wife thinks she's a refrigerator!

Psychiatrist: Don't worry, it will pass.

Man: But, Doctor, when she sleeps with her mouth open that darn light keeps me awake!

Good One

Thanks mish, I feel that way myself. Always feel the door is open and I can't put the light out. I needed this. Thanks for giving me a laugh when I think things so serious. Spending money is one thing we don't have to do. Especially when you take coupons to the grocery store and save 10 cents. You took some of the anxiety out of my day.

Three Inches

Between Whirlpool and Amana 3 inches. Whirlpool people say it is the best but only 22' Amana 25'. Does 3 inches make big difference? Said if I want icemaker additional charge plus plumber. Hate to bother with details but I respect your advice. YOu all know best. Also has anyone put refrigerator in garage rather than the basement? No one wants to go down there for me and takes time. Appreciate understanding. The salespeople all say side by side best seller. May be but no room. Oh, thanks.

I personally couldn't live without my icemaker - well, I could but I wouldn't like it.

I'm not sure about the 3" - if you have the room I'd go for it. Also, I know several people that have a spare refrigerator in their garage. I'd say it would be much handier than in the basement.

Garage

I surely would rather have it in garage. I would like to make some kind of change with new refrigerator. Like having a new baby. Want everything perfect . Am I silly or what? It doesn't work so I have to get different. I am just thankful can get one.

Got It

Amana Freezer on the bottom with icemaker. Now to get plumber for the hook up of the icemaker. Wow what a purchase. Bought it from Sears with service contract, advised me to since icemaker may give problems and costly. The saleperson was a young girl whose mother had 8 kids. Mother did all of the cooking and has side by side. Since I already had one and know how I hate it I will put it in basement in place of the one down there that has stopped working after more than 50 years. They said average of them working today is only most 20 years. Now to get the boxes cleaned out and ready for them. Hope they get through the doors. Does anything ever have not problem? Hope this all goes well. Thanks for all your comments. I sure needed them and respect them. Did I say they are delivering tomorrow? I want this over with.

Protection Plan

Someone said they weren't fond of the Protection Plan from Sears. Well, now the family said they don't want it. I called to tell her that I didn't want it and she kind of got disappointed. I really don't like to make someone upset but if they don't want to take it should be their choice. I hope I don't get charged for it after I said I would take it. That is what happens when you are alone and no one to give you advice. I did remember about someone saying something here about not getting it but then I also recall my brother telling me about the icemaker going broke. Too many 'ifs'. Thanks for helping me. I have to reread this thread when I get done.l Always in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom