Reggiano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said, I didn't think the Amazon price was a cost saver but I would think if you can get a 13 pound wedge for 7.34, couldn't that vendor sell you a whole wheel? I would think you would get even more savings.

It's a restaurant supply place. They get it in vacu packed 1/8 wheel more or less pieces.

I have to disagree with you. Flavor and texture changes in cheese are usually the result of dehydration and exposure to oxygen and certain temperatures. Proper packaging before freezing prevents these issues. I had a large wedge for 5 years before I finished it and it had both perfect flavor and even the melting stretch of a good parmesan was not affected after all that time. I did use a foodsaver for my cheese.
I will qualify my disagreement to pertain to very hard cheeses only. Cheddars and cheeses as soft or softer will get crumbly when they are thawed.

And, sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you.

I'm sure most most members of this board could easily pick out previous frozen PR cheese versus nonfrozen in a blind taste test.

IMO the taste is noticeably duller.

But I always have some in the freezer because even though duller, it does still taste good!

I

Back
Top Bottom