Remembering 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I really struggled with whether or not to post this. Its one of those topics that could go downhill very quickly so I am going hopeful that we can all be appropriate here and keep this sucker open.

I know its 6 years since 9/11, but it still seems pretty fresh to me. I was just reading the newspaper today and they commented that there is now some discussion about how much remembrance is too much, and how much is too little etc etc. Also that due to construction this is the first year there hasn't been a memorial at Ground Zero.

I think that no matter how long its been there should be some kind of remembrance of this tragedy. We still remember DDay, and other historic events (Hiroshima, Nagasaki etc) and I think that there should always be something to mark this day. I guess I'm not sure what form that should take though. Any good thoughts from our DC family?

I will always remember. I think that for the rest of US, maybe world history, Sept.11 will be remembered. Talking about it is good. WE, as a nation, need to talk about it. A memorial is always a nice gesture, and can mean many different things to many different people. I think it is human nature to make something like a shrine(for lack of a better word) to remember. To each their own when it comes to the amount of remembrance or ceremony, imo.

I will always question too. But I will not bring politics into this.

To those who lost loved on, and everybody effected by that day, we will never forget.

Last edited:
Thanks, Alix. Thinking about it sometimes still moves me to tears, but I'm a great big softie anyway. I know I'll never forget.

I don't know what form the memorial should take. That's a tough one. Part of me says it should be simple and reverent. Another part says it should be as extravagant as money could produce because the folks who died and the people left behind lost so much.

When Buck and I lived in Washington, D.C., we had the opportunity to visit many of the memorials there. The one that is especially moving is the Viet Nam one. Its simplicity is almost breathtaking. Same for the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery. Seeing the changing of the guard there is definitely a Kleenex experience and well worth experiencing.

I guess I'm leaning more toward something like those last two I mentioned. Simple, respectful and classy. You can bet, though, that no matter what form the memorial takes there will be those who won't be happy with it. That's just human nature.

OK, I really struggled with whether or not to post this. Its one of those topics that could go downhill very quickly so I am going hopeful that we can all be appropriate here and keep this sucker open.

I know its 6 years since 9/11, but it still seems pretty fresh to me. I was just reading the newspaper today and they commented that there is now some discussion about how much remembrance is too much, and how much is too little etc etc. Also that due to construction this is the first year there hasn't been a memorial at Ground Zero.

I think that no matter how long its been there should be some kind of remembrance of this tragedy. We still remember DDay, and other historic events (Hiroshima, Nagasaki etc) and I think that there should always be something to mark this day. I guess I'm not sure what form that should take though. Any good thoughts from our DC family?

The memorial was at ground zero....in a park on the corner of the land. There will always be a memorial there. The reason the families were not permitted into the construction area is that it's unsafe to have thousands of people walking around a construction zone. The construction they are involved in is to build the permanent memorial site, complete with the inverted well of sorrow.

I don't have a problem with the remembrances, but I don't like to see people still afraid to live their lives. The terrorists would enjoy seeing us not doing the things that make us a free nation. I don't think we should allow someone living in a cave dictate how we live. I certainly feel for all those who lost friends, loved ones, even acquaintances in the acts and wish them peace.

I'll always remember, just as I remember hearing of the Nazi's,of Pearl Harbor, bombing Japan, events long past that formed this country we live in..Remembering is a way to try to heal things, and to not allow them to be repeated if possible..In a way to me it's respecting those who lost their lives either for us and country or were sacraficed..I think honor and respect for them is a must, or we end up as those who would harm us...Remember, quietly,with love. The least we can do.
kadesma

I left my headlights on while driving today. I didn't see many others, but, not a lot of people would remember to turn them on.
I will never forget all the people, lost, physically and mentally injured and the families that lost someone on that most tragic day. I can only pray that we never have to see such a day again.
I will not forget the men and women in our services that keep us as safe as they possibly can. God Bless them ALL!!!!

the scary part is that 19 men, led from bin laden in a cave halfway around the world, were able to throw this country into chaos.

that's it... 19 men.

and today, most people are STILL living in fear or HAVE TOTALLY FORGOTTEN... but they know full well what's going-on with paris, lindsay, 50 cent, & mike vick.

It's a day I'll never forget. And I hope I never witness anything like that ever again. With so many victims that day I don't think there can ever be "too much" rememberance.

And I drove with my headlights on today today too. I burn a candle every 11th as well.

and today, most people are STILL living in fear or HAVE TOTALLY FORGOTTEN... but they know full well what's going-on with paris, lindsay, 50 cent, & mike vick.

Pretty disgusting and sick state of affairs, isn't it? I feel like shouting 'pay attention, people'...and 'get involved'. My signature says it all....

Actually, Vera, I've always wondered what your signature meant. I've seen it countless times and could never figure it out. I sort of figured it had to do with the lyrics to a song and left it at that.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain it because I would like to understand your statement.

The short of it Katie is it's a song by Midnight Oil titled Beds Are Burning. I'm sure VeraBlue will say why it is her signature and what it means to her.

I remember I hadn't slept well that night so I slept pretty late that morning. My husband came home and woke me up, shaking me. He said the United States was under attack. He just held me for a few minutes and was very near tears. He said he had to go back to work but he wanted to come home to tell me he loved me.

My heart tells me to remember this day.

Last edited:
Alix, thanks for starting the thread. September 11, 2001 should be etched into our hearts, our minds, and our consciences always! We must never forget!!

Re: Black chef: I want to shout, don't be so apathepic people!!!! Wake up!!!!!

DC family, you are the greatest for remembering 9/11! It does my heart good! For some reason this 6th anniversary hit me harder than any of the others. Maybe because Bin Laden surfaced again this week, twice. I know they are not finished with us yet if they can help it.

I found myself somber today. I watched Oprah's tribute this morning from NYC. I half expected to hear of another attack today, or at least the aversion of an attack. Thankfully, things went well today.

If you are interested, there is a good DVD out there that really tells us what is going on. It's called "Obsession, Radical Islam's War Against the West". It can be purchased online and I hear it is now available at stores. The producer of the 60 min. documentary couldn't find anyone to distribute it so he took matters into his own hands and began selling the DVD online. It costs about $20 and is good to view and to pass around to your friends. We need to wake up to what is going on and to elect leaders who recognize the threat to our society.

Glenn Beck on CNN Headline News is doing a special report on terrorism this whole week and it is a real eye opener as well. Why no one else is getting this info out is beyond me.

I think the memorial should be simple, something that invites one to be contemplative. Oprah showed the memorial being built next to the Pentagon on 2 acres of land. Similar, I think, to Oklahoma City, there will be a bench for every victim. It will be a simple setting.

Actually, Vera, I've always wondered what your signature meant. I've seen it countless times and could never figure it out. I sort of figured it had to do with the lyrics to a song and left it at that.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain it because I would like to understand your statement.

Sure, Katie

The line points out that most people just go about their lives with the attitude that if it doesn't actually affect my day or my life, I don't care. In reality, anything that happens affects us all, on some level. The line 'how can we sleep while our beds are burning' reminds us that it's not a good practice to look the other way and be comfortable with things the way they are. Get involved when you see injustice, question authority, and be aware of what is happening to other people...because as humans, we are all connected.

Back
Top Bottom