Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All my babies, past and present, have been second or third hand.

Dave, your dogs look so stressed...(not)

Our kitties have always been rescues, or ones that showed up and never left. We currently have one girl (Toonces - 19) and Louie (17). Murray, our Golden is not a rescue. I don't know many folks who would give up a puppy with his temperament. I will have to find a good kitty picture to put up.

I haven't had a cat in years, but mine were all ferals who just moved in, or rescues. Once I had three, and had been reassigned. I was at a relatively isolated radar site in North Dakota, and a farmer showed up one day saying he'd heard that "Claire at the base" had some house cats and he wanted them for his grand children! He had several "barn cats" that weren't child friendly, and wanted my cats if I couldn't move with them! I was delighted to find a good home for beloved pets for whom I didn't have the money to transport!

This is our pup, Cooper. He was on a farm in Tennessee. The owners found him and let him roam free. They never dewormed, vaccinated, or fed him on a regular basis. You can see in the first pick how bloated he was from all the worms. It took 3 rounds of deworming and 2 intestinal parasite removals before he was healthy. Now, though, he's a horse.

8 weeks
37223_760832398818_20712493_43095069_1729385_n.jpg

15 weeks
39898_775998510808_20712493_43636298_4689590_n.jpg

13 months
253808_10100100656091388_20712493_46573044_2418910_n.jpg

I have fostered at least 300 cats and kittens in the nine years I have been working with Cats Cradle, and fortunately I have only had one die on me. Her name was Topolina, and her and her litter mates crawled into their playpen one afternoon and piled up for a nap, and she never woke up. I lived in a condo at the time, with no place to bury her, so she was buried at sea.

All of our dogs & cats have been rescues/adoptees. At one point we were up to 4 dogs & 8 housecats (yikes!), but now we're down to 3 cats & 3 dogs.

One cat was born to a neighbor's barn cat, & they were going to get rid of her. Second cat walked up to us outside the house one day, with streaks of motor oil on him (our motor oil, I might add - lol!), thin & sick. And Cat #3 was an older gentleman with raggedy ears who sat in his little cubicle at the local PetSmart for 2 months until I couldn't stand looking at him anymore, so adopted him & brought him home.

Out of the dogs, all 3 came from our local shelter. Dog #1 is a Tri-Colored Walker Coonhound found wandering around the neighborhood right before Thanksgiving. And in fact, we swear that we saw her along the local highway one night shortly before Animal Control picked her up. Dog #2 is a Beagle/Rat Terrier mix who was found along with the body of her dead owner (who'd been dead for a week!) & turned into the shelter. The owner's ex-husband was willing to take her cat (also locked in the house with the body), but didn't want the dog. So now we have the little love bug. Dog #3 is a Beagle/Australian Cattle Dog cross. Owner had 8 dogs & had to move from his farm. His friend took 7 of the dogs, but didn't want this one - lol!! Yes, she has "issues", but day after day has worked out of most of them.

Love every one of them, & feel they were all "meant to be" companions for us.

When we got Joey, our almost 8 year old Bichon cross 6 years ago, we didn't realize it was a rescue. I knew the owner through a job we worked on (mostly by phone and MSN), and after she left the job she and I chatted constantly. She was expecting, and when the baby came, all of a sudden the dog had to go.

We agreed to take him on a "trial" basis and when I said it wasn't working out it was "um well, we can't take him back so if you don't want him find another home or take him to the SPCA".

Joey was a handful at best. He was hyper, drove our timid Violet crazy and was totally untrainable (he knew about going outside and that was it). I disliked this dog immensely and did not want to keep him, but didn't want to send him back where he was clearly unwanted or to the SPCA.

We got him a haircut and the poor thing was traumatized for three days, not coming out of his crate. I asked if this was normal and she said yes. I decided that he was not going back to that place for a cut and our groomer has, over the course of 6 years worked him into tolerating it. We found out that the chain store the previous owner took him too had cut him badly drawing blood) once causing the trauma. But after the cut I saw this cute little frightened dog and instantly fell in love.

We also found out he was "crate trained" for everything - being bad, bed time, when visitors came, when they were out, when they took him in the car, when they couldn't be bothered with him. Joey did not know what love was and that little crate became his refuge. He has a cushy bed, but we still have to keep the crate for him - but the door has been taken off.

We have been working constantly to show him what is good and what is bad, and that he is loved here. It is still an ongoing process and he is, as his groomer loving calls him, "arbitrarily stubborn". But we are so fortunate that we got him away from an environment where he was unwanted. I think that is as bad as being beaten for an animal!

Attachments

• JoieHaircut.jpg
    JoieHaircut.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
... Second cat walked up to us outside the house one day, with streaks of motor oil on him (our motor oil, I might add - lol!)...

I can partly identify with that. I was on the carport checking all of the fluid levels for the truck, when I felt a rubbing against my leg. It was a young black and white cat, obviously less than six months old but very friendly, and was wet with window washer fluid. We searched for his previous owner, but no one ever claimed him.

He (Kitzle), adopted me, made himself right at home, and in spite of a number of dog housemates, hasn't gone anywhere these past twelve years.

Thankfully, beagle is not interested in squirrels. Be vewwy vewwy quiet, she's hunting wabbits. And deer. And cats. (which she dearly loves).

Last edited:
Bolas, "...Asia was the dog love of my life, she had been very badly abused and was a complete mental and physical wreck when I got her.Asia actually save my life."

How did that happen?
I bought a very large site for development, I went to have a look with Asia, 3 men one with a knife was trying to steal from me.

Squirrels are bullies, they drive the cats nuts, now that they know the cats can't reach them. They even squish their noses on the window to tease the cats.

We have a 6' board-on-board fence with a top-cap all around the back yard. The squirrels like to run all along it and tease the dogs. We call it the squirrel superhighway. :LOL:

We have a 6' board-on-board fence with a top-cap all around the back yard. The squirrels like to run all along it and tease the dogs. We call it the squirrel superhighway. :LOL:
I know what you mean, Dave! Our old house had the same kind of fence and the squirrels would run around driving the dogs nuts. When Joey and Violet barked the squirrels would use the trees to hide and come out on another part of the fence. It was hilarious :LOL:

Last edited:
i have two cats. thomas is eight years old. very shy and only likes me. runs and hides under the bed when anyone comes in the house. i guess you could say he was a rescue , i got him at the animal shelter. he was about two months old. the third day i had him, he got very sick. the shelter treated him for me since he probably got sick there. he still has a scar on his back. they cut too deep for the i.v. hair has never grown there.

the second one is charlie. he just turned a year, april, best i can guess. someone dropped him in my yard. he was about three months old. when he showed up , i gave food and water and left him outside. was really really hot. i hoped someone was looking for him. the third day , he yowled all day, under my neighbors car. so i took him in. he is just a sweet boy (most of the time) one by one i have broken him of biting and scratching me. he loves to be petted but when he had enough, he'd bite me. no more though. the last bad habit is scratching on the side of my bed in the wee hours of the morning. i tried spraying him with water, but it is hard to aim, when i am lying on my back. lately i have been just getting up and throwing him out of my room. hope he gets the drift pretty soon. i don't believe in hitting any animal. i don't think they have a clue why you are hitting them. charlie looks like a rag doll persian. he is huge. thomas is black. was gray in his youth. going backward in his old age.

i love them both so much. they are company for me all the time. their care gets me going in the a.m. i will probably out live thomas, but not charlie. been trying to think of who would take him, if i die before he does. wish i knew how to post pictures, they are both handsome fellas.

The 3-3-1/2 week old kitty I found on the road today is with kitten rescue tonight--I couldn't keep her here because I didn't have the supplies to bottle feed her. Everything is closed on Sundays in our little village where I could've gotten KMF or bottles. Luckily, I know s/one who does kitten rescue AND there is a nursing mom there--she has accepted said kitty! Even though they have more kittens than they'd like, they found room for just one more.

We had a horrible storm tonight so I was happy that the little one was out of the storm and someplace safe, not to mention, someplace where she could be dry, warm, and getting fed. Why people don't spay or neuter their cats (and dogs) is beyond me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom