Research confirms fat is sixth taste; names it oleogustus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Research confirms fat is sixth taste; names it oleogustus - Purdue University

Fat should be considered the sixth taste and can be called oleogustus, according to a study from Purdue University.

"Most of the fat we eat is in the form of triglycerides, which are molecules comprised of three fatty acids," said Richard D. Mattes, distinguished professor of nutrition science. "Triglycerides often impart appealing textures to foods like creaminess. However, triglycerides are not a taste stimulus. Fatty acids that are cleaved off the triglyceride in the food or during chewing in the mouth stimulate the sensation of fat."

YES we must make fat #6:chef::chef::chef:

For decades the food industry has made every effort to make Americans oleo-phobic then spent all their time coming up with evil ways to make food low fat or fat free.

I'm looking forward to their effort to reverse the trend and make fat "OK" again. Just think of it! Food labels claiming the contents are "Full Fat!!"

I confess that I hate the taste of fat. Fat grosses me out....

Meat fat, that is. Non-meat fat is fine

Last edited:
YI don't know, I think meat fat that has been crisped on a grill with a luscious piece of beef or pork attached is pretty yummy any time time of year :yum:

Just read the article. They mention a study related to the genetics of fat taste. I betcha folks like me, with Arctic ancestors, like fat more than people whose ancestors come from warm climates.

Melty fat is good, slabs of fat, not so much. I cut the extra fat off my steaks, chops and bacon.

Last edited:
I don't like the greasy sensation of fat in the mouth, but I do like the flavor. I can taste the flavor of fat even when I microwave bacon between two pieces of paper towel. I don't feel the grease though. Even though chefs tout the deckle of a steak as being the prime part, it feels greasy in my mouth.

Odd, then, that I loved when we would hold pieces of szallona over a fire until the fat started to melt, then "blot" that slab onto rye bread topped with green pepper, onion, tomato, maybe some other things. You'd do the heat-melt-blot routine a couple of times until the bread had a nice amount and the veggies were wilted, then eat it all up just so you could make another. The article makes it sound like szalonna is almost health food. :yum:

You reminded me of a sandwich I enjoy on occasion. Spread some tasty fat (bacon, chicken, duck, whatever) on a slice of heavy rye bread. Slice some cold, boiled potatoes and put them on the bread. Season with salt and pepper, and if you must, some scallion slices or chives. Serve "open faced" :yum:

taxy, I think the next time I need bacon I'll fry it in a pan rather than nuke. Then I can spoon the drippings over rye bread with some veggie topping. The potato sounds good! The only downside is that the fat in the pan will be missing the extra touch of wood smoke. At least my hair will still smell clean. ;)

taxy, I think the next time I need bacon I'll fry it in a pan rather than nuke. Then I can spoon the drippings over rye bread with some veggie topping. The potato sounds good! The only downside is that the fat in the pan will be missing the extra touch of wood smoke. At least my hair will still smell clean. ;)
I have two microwave bacon trays and a microwave spatter guard. I collect the drippings when I nuke bacon. I don't bother with paper towels and it's never too greasy.

...The article makes it sound like szalonna is almost health food. :yum:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with fat. Unfortunately, it's been demonized in this and other countries for far too long now. I still hear people use phrases like "artery clogging" and "heart attack on a plate" when referring to fatty foods, but the simple truth is that fat is satisfying, tastes great, and doesn't actually make you fat. I speak from experience. Over the last 10 months, I've lost almost 80 pounds and normalized my blood sugar on a diet that consists of about 60-70% fat (including that "evil" saturated fat) and my overall cholesterol has gone DOWN.

So yes, I would say fat is indeed healthy in moderation. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom